Craving Japanese food, need advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
Looking for advice on enjoying Japanese cuisine with an ostomy - share your tips and experiences here!
djm_2010

Hello! Have any of you ostomates eaten sushi, sashimi, oysters or any shells? I'm craving for Japanese food and haven't eaten them for almost a year! Please advise! Thank you all!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

I eat them all, all of the time and never had an adverse reaction with my ileostomy. It is rather easy to digest in any form.

X_
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
djm_2010

Ok, thanks a lot.

weewee

I eat them also. Just prepare for the smell that it causes if you eat too much, because fish causes a bad odor. For me, it takes a couple of days to get rid of it. There is something on the market I haven't tried yet that makes bad smells smell like a banana.

MJ

Not an oyster girl....but LOVE sushi, sashimi, or and most shellfish...no problems! Good luck!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
paulak

Well, I love sushi and sashimi also, but as it was said before, the smell on the next day is terrible! Despite this, there's no other problems...

luvsulax

Never had a problem with any of the above, and when my UC was at its worst before my surgery 26 years ago, it was the only thing that gave me no problems!

MJ

Wow... I haven't noticed the awful smell... maybe I just block it out... lol.

MJ

Damn... now I want sushi...

wolfie45

Never had sashimi but any other seafood I LOVE!!! Looks like another recipe to look up and prepare. You are all invited over for dinner!!

Sid

I eat all types of seafood on a weekly basis, including sushi, and I have never had any problems or issues. I don't think that you'll have any problems, so enjoy!!!

clp2you

Love seafood and eat all I can. I get stinky and do burp my baby outdoors or when I go to the restroom and spray for others in the house.

Catman

Past Member

So? How was it?

Xerxes

MJ,

What about soft shell crabs?

X_

ZaliBee

I eat loads of seafood and other no-no's for odor, but I simply add extra odor drops to my bag after emptying and there's no problem.

ronjeff

I eat only cooked sushi. Never raw. You can eat the rest you mention but not often.

Okanagan Lady

I've had no issues with regular nori-wrapped sushi. However, I'm on day 6 of a partial blockage due to eating sushi that was wrapped in the white rice paper - made out of rice and soy flour. This paper turned into a toxic glue inside my bowel. I innocently chose this menu item and am still paying the price! Be careful, people!