Dealing with Liquid Output after Eating Meat - Need Tips!

Replies
Views
buffy

Hi, this is my first time on here. Just wondering if anyone has trouble when they eat any meat. When I have a meal with meat, my output is so liquid I have to empty my bag so often (7 times in the space of 3 hours). I take Imodium to try and slow it down, but this takes ages to work. Does anyone have any tips, please? I have an ileostomy for 5 years.

Past Member

I don't have that issue with meat, but I do with eggs. I would eat things that slow down output when you eat meat, like pasta or rice. Eat a bit of them first and see if that helps.

Paul

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi,
Hey, this is my first time on a forum as well. It's not everywhere you go that your opening gambit to someone can be about your intestinal output, is it!?
I've had my ileostomy for just over a year now and have kind of resigned myself to the fact that it seems to have a mind of its own whatever I eat! Emptying 7 times in an hour does sound like a hell of a lot though; you must get pretty dehydrated. I also take Imodium as and when, but find that sometimes it works well, other times not so well....Sod's law, one day it'll work too well and I'll be set rock solid from end to end! I've read on other forums about people taking a supplement to "thicken it all up". Personally, I don't fancy eating however many bags of marshmallows and unripe bananas, so if there's something simpler on prescription that could be useful.
If I find anything out, I'll let you know.....or maybe someone who reads this might have an inkling of what I'm on about.
Thinking about it, I've learned not to risk the odd late-night chicken kebab 'cause after one of those, it can really pour out......still not filling 7 times an hour though.
Maybe try different meats, or a different butcher!
x
Past Member

Ps sorry, 7 times in 3 hours.....still a bloody lot though!
X

Whoa

Buffy
Don't know why you had an ileostomy or if your output is fairly liquid most of the time? Not sure why your system doesn't like meat either.

If liquid all the time, the suggestions re: foods that bind might help or being on Imodium routinely as some folks need this to prevent fluid loss. You might also try meat with less fat, or chewing better and smaller pieces.

I'm hoping someone else has more answers!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Okay, I mentioned that eggs make my output like water. Also, what does that to me is creatine. I use a creatine serum before I go to the gym as it stores water in the muscle to help recovery and build muscle.

That being said, the creatine also causes watery output so I got an idea one day to use it when I was a bit blocked up and it helped to get everything through! After a few times of this working, I mentioned it to my surgeon and he said that creatine was mostly enzymes and that it made sense that enzymes gave me that reaction.

So, long story short, I am thinking that maybe it's enzymes that cause the watery output?

eddie

I don't often eat meat. I just don't like the taste. But when I eat salad, this happens to me also. I hate to take pills. My doctor suggested Metamucil or a similar product. Yes, I know it is used for constipation, but it also will thicken up ileostomy stool. You could give it a try.

Hope you get your problem solved.

Eddie

buffy

Thanks for the replies everyone, I take Metamucil and Imodium but most times this does not seem to work. I have the ileostomy due to radiation enteritis which I had for cervical cancer. I also have Graves' disease which is under control but still having trouble putting on weight and having the watery output is not helping, so any answer you might have will be good.

cancerfree

What kind of meat do you usually eat? Perhaps it's too spicy, and that will definitely cause pure liquid outputs. Have you been checked for intestinal adhesions? These will cause partial blockages at times. Sounds like it could be a possibility. My insides have many, which is causing future surgery to be probably impossible. But if you have them, you will unfortunately need to adjust your diet even more so. There are times between dinner and bedtime where I have 3 or 4 full bags of pure liquid, so I know what you mean.
Ask your doctor to set you up with a CT or MRI scan. Hopefully, you have insurance coverage for them there in Australia.
Perhaps you are using one of the medium-sized bags. I hate having to use them the odd time I do. They are less noticeable under slacks (since I'm short), which is nice, but they do cause 80% more trips to empty them. See if there is a bigger bag you can use.

buffy

Thanks Cancerfree. I do have other scarring. The surgeons here were talking about a reversal when I reached 60kg, but I'm still only 42kg and my stoma was 5 years ago, so I don't think it's going to happen. I have problems with just plain meats. I try not to eat much spicy foods as these do tend to have a worse output. It just drives me crazy. I don't even go out for dinner as I'm constantly off to the loo and it's embarrassing. Is there anything you could suggest that would help?

Hoover

I had the same problem with a few things other than meat (still have from time to time) and what my sister advised (she's a Peds nurse) is taking a packet of unflavored gelatin, mixing it in 1/4 cup of fruit juice, and drinking it. Apparently, that's what they give toddlers/little kids with diarrhea. Maybe if you tried this an hour or so prior to eating meat, it might help. Can't hurt to give it a go!

Good luck.

Hoover

waynelewis86

You may find it helpful to wear a drainable stoma bag due to the increased watery output from your stoma. If you believe the diarrhea is simply due to changes in your diet or daily routine, here are some foods that may help you find relief:

Under-ripe bananas
Jelly babies
Marshmallows
Smooth peanut butter
White rice
Pretzels
Yogurt (natural, or flavored with honey)
Noodles and pasta
Buttermilk

Unfortunately, due to the new laws on the use of codeine, it is very hard to find a GP to prescribe it. I have used codeine for many years due to other painful complications throughout my journey, and it is, in fact, very helpful for your issue and also a plus as my GP mentioned in how it regulates your stomach's motions.

I hope this is beneficial for you.