Shoulder Surgery with Ileostomy: Need Advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
LilyJ

I have an ileostomy and need to have shoulder surgery. Has anyone else out there experienced having use of one arm with their ostomy (for a limited time of course).
I have had my ileo since 1972, but I'm stumped over the aftercare on this one! How will I empty my bag??? I don't like anyone else to mess with it. Plus, I live alone now.

Thanks to anyone who has some experience.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Lalu
Sorry, Lily. No answer to that one. Just surprised to see the topic as I'm kind of in the same spot. I have had problems with my left shoulder - I think it's a rotator cuff thing. I gave it a bit of a rest for a while, but now that my right shoulder has the same problem, I have been using my left arm more. Now they're both giving me a hard time, so I've recently been thinking about having the surgery and have the same concerns. I'll be watching closely, hoping you get some answers. Best of luck with whatever you discover.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
budd002

I had a car accident back in September and fractured my left wrist and had to get a cast. I learned to use my fingertips to grasp the end of the bag and use my right hand to open and wipe it out. Basically, I only used my left hand to pass things to my right hand. It took a little longer than my usual 3 minutes in the washroom, but you will figure out how to manipulate your stuff.

Budd
LilyJ
Thanks for your response. I am waiting to be called by the imaging facility to have an MRI done. The doctor believes it is a torn rotator cuff, and now a frozen shoulder, which I understand is adhesions (the scourge of my life). In the past, I broke my right hand twice, both times they put a removable cast on so I could deal with myself. The first time my son was just a baby, and my daughter was a toddler. It happened again, about 10 years later.
Both times it was a nuisance, but I handled it fine. From what I understand, the shoulder is going to be a different story. The doc says you can't lift it afterwards, but are able to reach down. My stoma was relocated 14 years ago to the middle instead of on the side, so this is something else I deal with. I've had my ostomy for 40 years next June!

I will let you know what happens. I'm still mulling over a lot of things, not just the bag.
How do you dress yourself? Shower?

Hey, I know it all works out in the end. So I'm trying to be cool until I find out more.
Hopefully, the answers will come soon. I hate waiting!
Bumba

I have a continent ostomy and had rotator cuff repair about a year and a half ago. I was very worried that I would not be able to intubate with one hand. I had no troubles post-op. It just takes a little time and thought to figure out how to do this, but it can be done. And the relief after having my shoulder fixed was wonderful. It is not easy but very doable. Best of luck to you.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

My goodness! I may be able to tell you more in the near future. I am right-handed and I am to have full-on surgery on it, that is, knuckle replacements! Right now I am asking exactly the same questions as you are. All four of my right hand fingers are dislocated from rheumatoid arthritis and this is a long and slow recovery I am told. Both of my knees have been replaced and I still remember how painful that was, but my right hand????

Good luck!

Doug

Wilski

I have a torn right rotator cuff (small) and have some pain. Try physical therapy first. Stretching the arm (painful at first) and building muscle up will help immensely.

Should you decide on surgery, since you still have use of your hand after shoulder surgery, you should be able to maneuver enough to take care of the ostomy. Good luck.

julianaflipflop

Wonder if you have had your shoulder op.
I had this last November and managed far better than I expected. I have two stomas, one each side and had my left shoulder fixed.
During the op, I just made sure they kept an eye on the urine levels as they put me on a saline drip to avoid dehydration.

All went well and I now have 85% use of my arm, the main restriction now is reaching upwards above my head.

Hope all is well.
Julia

LilyJ
Thanks for all of the input. I am currently in physical therapy in an attempt to unfreeze the shoulder. Wow, is it painful. Yesterday, I swear I thought the PT was yanking my arm right out of the socket. I will find out on 12/26 whether or not surgery is in the future. After doing this therapy 3X a week for a month, we'll decide what's next. Sometimes I wish I'd just kept my mouth shut and so what if I can't hook my bra from the back? But it would be nice to sleep on my right side again. I have a friend that had both shoulders done, and she is fine, but she's not an ostomate. I'm on my 5th stoma, and this last one has changed my position when emptying. That's my main concern. I can no longer empty sitting sideways on the commode. I have to empty between my legs. Sometimes that is a challenge in itself.

On the bright side, I will be 67 in about 3 weeks. I had my colon and rectum removed when I was 27!!! I've been through a lot worse than this, so I know it will all work out. It's just getting harder to tolerate pain. I am allergic to opiates! Yikes. I do lots of meditation.

Hope you all have a great holiday season.