Flange not sticking, odor problems - Need advice!

Replies
Views
kimmer

I'm only getting 24 hours or less wear time with my appliance. My flange just doesn't seem to stick to my skin. I've tried 10+ different flanges from all three companies with no success. I also have a major problem with odor, and have tried putting breath mints in my pouch and also the Coloplast deodorant liquid with no help. My stoma is retracted at 6 o'clock and therefore I've used a convex flange but even tried a flat flange in efforts to solve this problem. I really don't want to face surgery again to have my stoma pulled out more. Has anyone had a stoma revision and was it as bad as a resection? My ET nurse has tried all her tricks and I'm awaiting a new referral to a gastro.

funnygurl

The only deodorant that I have found that works is one called "nascent".

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Necro1134

What kind of skin prep are you using? And as for the odor issues, do you think you're eating something wrong? I mean, like eggs, garlic, and onions all make output smell awful...

mild_mannered_super_hero

I would ask... How do you prep the skin before you apply? Are you washing the area with a soap that contains any oils or fragrance? Do you use a skin prep? Do you use the Eakin rings? The Eakin ring by itself should double your wear time. What type of ostomy do you have?
kimmer
Thanks to everyone that answered....really appreciate it.
I will give that Nascent a try for sure, and as for eating, I'm not a fan of onions or garlic---the odor happens every single day, whether I've eaten solid food or even just on an Ensure day.

I have a permanent end colostomy (not much colon remaining and a lot of small bowel removed too).
I've got a big collection of skin preps, including: Convatec All Kare, Coloplast skin barrier, and 3M Cavilon spray and wipes. I've also used Benadryl spray and Ectosone (steroid scalp lotion) under my flange. I've tried these in all different combinations and used other techniques like Eakin seal and the Coloplast dressing type product to go under the flange. I find that because the stoma is retracted at the bottom, the Eakin and other such products seem to build up the flange, and then I have leakage underneath because the stool doesn't get out past where the flange begins. I've even used different tapes around the border for adhesive purposes and to try and keep the smell out, with no avail. Last night, I was up in the middle of the night changing, and the appliance was only 6 hours old. Thank God my husband is so tolerant, but to be honest, it's starting to really interfere with my quality of life. I am unable to work and have two young kids to care for. When I do venture out, I don't eat until I get home, which doesn't allow for much energy or brain power.
This has been going on for months, and I'm getting frustrated.
Thanks again for all your help........I'm so glad to have someone to talk to that really understands. K

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
kimmer

Oh, and I've used the exact same hair and body products for years... and this problem just started back a few months ago.

suefelli

Have you tried Skin-Tac? My hubby was having the same problem and I saw someone on here mention it. I purchased it from Amazon and it works great!!!

weewee

Hello
I have the same problem, but what also helped me out was that they gave me a bigger wafer and bag that cured some of it. As long as I don't sweat too much or stand, stretch, or bend, I sit in a recliner so I don't sit up straight. Certain sodas also affect it, I noticed. But mine isn't located like most, mine is in the middle of my stomach off to the right and in a scar from my first ostomy I had when I was 2 years old, so I have lots of scarring.

gracie in texas

I use a Coloplast Assura convex wafer. I place Coloplast strip paste around the wafer opening for the stoma. Skin Tac was mentioned on this site a while back, and I ordered it, and it has worked wonders for me. I spread a small amount around the edge of the wafer. It is very important that the skin be very dry. I tend to get yeast infections, so I put a small amount of Miconazole Nitrate powder on my skin. I pat the powder down with a Convatec skin barrier wipe. I dry the skin with a warm hair dryer, and I warm the prepared wafer with the dryer, too. I spend about ten minutes holding the wafer in place with my hands. I try to avoid any strenuous activities for the first half of the day. My appliance lasts 4 days before I want to change. One must be careful that the dryer is not set on a hot setting. Good luck to you. I hope you find a solution that works.

CY

Where do you buy nascent?

kimmer

Na'scent will send you a sample and you can purchase it on their website.
Gracie - Is there much space between the stoma and the flange? Where do you put the strip paste?
Weewee - I believe I have scar tissue also and it feels like a constant muscle spasm (without the 100+ sit up). Have you found anything to help? I'm really not happy taking medication to control this pain.
Thanks again for all your help, K.

Ngaire

Hello. I also had trouble with pouches that wouldn't stay on. It was a nightmare. And then I discovered Eakin Pelican pouches. I use a one-piece, convex, drainable. They are great. I have been using them for about 18 months. They have never come off once. I use a Hollister seal as well. All the best. Ngaire (New Zealand)

Wheely Man 8

I have had that problem in the past. I have been given different suggestions. One of which was to drink pickle juice or cranberry juice every day until my body chemistry evens out and helps with skin secretions. One thing I have noticed is wearing an ostomy belt for each pouch. I have both. One thing I have noticed that might help, especially if you wear two appliances, is if one is higher and the other one is low enough to where you can wear it in your pants and the other one is above the pant line, I found something called a B band that women wear during pregnancy helps keep that one in place. They come in white and black. I hope you will find this information useful.

Wheely man 8
aapplet

I did have that problem years ago, but my advice is to make sure your skin is totally dry before putting on the flange. I use a hair dryer just to make sure. I find too, that the more you dwell on it, the worse it becomes. Just relax and don't get so uptight. Stress does not help the situation. Hope this helps!!

Redondo
Hi Kimmer,
I am also originally from Toronto and even had my surgery at TG. I don't know what to tell you about the flange not sticking, but have you also tried using a belt?
I also recently started having problems with odor. Someone recommended taking a tablet called Nullo. It takes at least 3 days to work, but it works great. Hunters use it to eliminate body odor. I was able to find it at the pharmacy, but I was also able to order it along with my supplies. It might cause some mild cramping, so I used to take 1/2 tablet in the morning and 1/2 in the evening and was able to use it. After a while, I didn't have to use it anymore.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
megalyman

I use a medical adhesive spray to cover the wafer before I put it on. Works quite well.

NewlifeVictoria

Hi Kimmer, how are you doing? It's crazy how I know this was years ago when you sent this message. I hope you're here to reply back to me. I'm experiencing a lot of pain, gas, cramping, and muscle spasms. I never thought of that one, but I have to take pain meds as well and it's a regular occurrence every day. Sometimes I feel better, then other times I'm thinking it's gas pains because I can't just fart. I was never so sad about not being able to fart and pass the gas that is causing some of this pain. I also believe it's scar tissue and now I'm wondering what to do. Anyone here who is in this situation, please let's talk because we need each other.

NewlifeVictoria

Sorry, I have a problem completely finishing my story and sending it in.

Here for everyone if I can be... let's chat or text/email each other to help, maybe with suggestions. Please, I'm not sure if Kimmer is still here. I was just reading and saw that there's someone having my same issues, well similar, and I didn't think it's muscles. Well, I didn't think of it. When you're uncomfortable, you know what I mean? Also, I read, sorry, forget who it was, about pain. Please, anyone out in this world, doesn't matter who, I'm here to text/chat with. Him, please.

NewlifeVictoria

OMG, it's frustrating to write, and it's good. OMG sucks anyway. Please reply, anyone. I love to just chat, but if you're feeling pain and stinky poop in their bag, pouch, people don't like to say bag. I know to me it doesn't matter what to call it except the name we give it... Happy is mine, and he sings that song... Happy. LOL, of course, kidding. I also read a lot. Anyway, email or try to text him and phone. Let me know, please. Text would love that, and Kimmer and whoever would like to, I'm here and would love that, really. I know not everyone will say the truth here, but they can with me. I will understand 110%. And please, anyone, please patiently waiting. Your friend forever if you want me to be, and my point is I'm here; Victoria Jan 2019; NewlifeVictoria hugs xoxo. We all need hugs, right?