Persistent Post-Surgery Pain: Seeking Advice on Colorectal Recovery

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Derek48
Hi, I'm Derek from Dublin. Recently, I had colorectal surgery and I'm on here to try and understand the transition of the outcome of my surgery by hearing the opinions of others that have gone through similar surgery. One thing I've really noticed is that I'm still in a lot of pain. Anyone out there have pain almost six weeks after surgery? Allow me to elaborate: pain in the wound site, pain in the back passage area, feeling of wanting to go to the toilet, horrible pressure pains in the rectum area. I'd be honestly grateful if anyone could shed some light on their experience. Thanks so much in advance.

Derek
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi Derek, and welcome along here. I'm afraid I can't offer much advice as I've only had a colostomy. I do have those pains when it comes to wanting to go to the toilet. I've been told and as you'll read here that it's normal. As for some of the other pains, I know it took some time for me to stand straight up and smile. Just give yourself plenty of time and as much exercise as you can manage.

You'll find great support here, words of wisdom, and plenty of good advice too. You'll soon be laughing your ass off here too with the wonderful jokes from the likes of Guttenburg and Bob H. Oh, they can really bring a smile to my face when all I want to do is curl up and cry. Look out for them!!

Wishing you well, Colm
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Derek48

Hi Colm and thank you for your kind welcome and prompt reply. I could really do with a smile right now and I will be sure to look out for the guys you mentioned. I do hope you, along with all of us here, can gain strength from each other. God bless you and thank you again.

Derek

gutenberg
tess45
Hi Derek - I have an ileo, but I did have pain after the surgery well past the 6-week time frame that you are having. I found that walking helped me with the pain a fair bit. As for the pain in the rear area, yes, I had that as well. Some of the time, it hurt so bad that I had to take pain meds for it. I did find that even though they removed my rectum, I had the same sensation of having to "go," so I did. All I passed was mucus. My surgeon tells me that in my case, it was nothing to worry about. If you are concerned, you should talk to your doc or surgeon, and maybe that will ease your mind. Good luck.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Derek48
Hi Tess and thank you for sharing your personal experience with me. I can totally relate to what you said, except being with the rear end. They actually took mine away and stitched it up, so that feeling of wanting to go and simply not being able is extremely confusing and very painful. I've been on to my pain management team here in Dublin, and they have spoken to my GP who, in turn, has left some new pain medicine at my pharmacy, hoping that I will get some relief. ... Again, thanks for your reply. God bless, take care, and have a nice weekend.

Derek
Derek48
Hi Ed and thank you for the warm welcome. It's nice to hear that I'm not alone when it comes to pain issues, and I mean that with the most respect to all who suffer. It's just that I'm trying to find that transition from not having a rear end and yet having the feeling that I want to go. I'm hoping that in time I'll learn to adapt. In the meantime, thank you again for your kind welcome and reply.

Derek
DH
Hi Derek, I had my rectum and anus removed due to rectal cancer. I also had pain in the rear end and the feeling that my back exit was still there. I could not sit for about six weeks. I tried using a donut cushion but it did not help. I had to stand or lay on my side and take prescription painkillers. I told my surgeon about it and he checked me for hernias but I didn't have one. He told me that my rear will take longer to heal because no air gets to it. But he reassured me that the pain will go away. He was right. After about six weeks, the pain was finally gone. I still get that weird feeling that my anus is still there once in a while. It sometimes feels that I am going to pass gas out the rear, but that is impossible considering that I no longer have a back exit. But I could live with that. Good luck to you.
Past Member

Hi Derek, my surgery was a while ago but I do and still have discomfort in my rear end. I have had days when it's been really painful and still have sensations of wanting the loo. There are nerve endings and it's been called phantom feeling, like losing a limb. It does and will get better after time. I can relate to your pain and discomfort. Hope you find some relief with your meds. Take care, Ambies.

Past Member
Hi Derek, I had bowel surgery many years ago, and know 2 family members who also had surgery, 1 permanent colostomy, 1 permanent ileostomy. Both still got the urge. Pain took a while to settle too. My brother, perm ileo, even used to sit on the loo just every so often, being a man with a perm ileo meant he never sat on the loo anymore, and he missed it! My brother's surgeon told me because your bowels have a slower blood supply, that means it takes longer to heal. But if you're worried, I suggest you visit your doc and/or surgeon. (I have both a J-pouch and a rear exit myself!) TC
corvette lover

Hello... I myself have had the same problem, it will feel like you have to go to the restroom, as for your pain I am not sure, sorry you are having so much of it, my pain is usually a bad burning to the stoma although I do get back, but the pain you're describing sounds like the pain I had before I found out I had colon cancer.. Good luck to you.

kbd

I had everything removed as well back at the beginning of March. There is plenty of pain well after the surgery, and at least in my case, healing has taken months rather than weeks. It is strange having everything stitched up back there, and you have to take things easy and allow it to heal.
Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
KBD47

Past Member
Hi there, glad you found this site just like I did. It has been a great help!
I had a total proctocolectomy in June this year, so it has been 4 months. It really took two months to feel really normal for me. In the hospital, I didn't even feel that they had removed my rectum, but eventually the pressure built up as I started moving around and I got sudden shooting pain regularly which slowly settled down. Never used a donut pillow as that increases the pressure. My ileostomy was placed well, but I wanted to wear the support garments for ostomy, but I found that any pressure put on the stoma was too painful, so I couldn't wear them for the first two months. Now I wear nothing else. As for phantom feelings, my dad lost his arm and seemed to feel that he had just a phantom hand coming out of his shoulder. The brain rewired the nerve endings as a coping mechanism to deal with the loss. I never really had this sensation as my anus was so weak due to Crohn's disease in the area. I did, however, bolt to the toilet when I felt any gas movement in the area, but that was just gas going through my small intestine that had settled down low in my abdomen, nothing to worry about. The wound at my bottom has finally really healed, but it did worry me that it seemed to still be open, but now it looks almost totally closed up. Like it was never there. I wasn't totally standing straight when I started going for walks around the block, but now just 4 months passed, I am going for little jogs! I never jogged before! I feel really well and have a smooth routine going now. I can stretch and exercise, but I am careful with lifting and usually get someone to help as I do not want a hernia. It is my first summer here in Oz, so I am going to start swimming too to build up strength. I am back at work teaching and am able to keep up with the kids much better now.
All in all, it is the best thing I ever did! But I have had a very good outcome. Cheers!
Cas
Derek48

Hi there DH, thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience with me. I can totally relate to not sitting, this seems for me to be one of the most difficult things to deal with. That said, I purchased a Neogel cushion for €175 and it's helping me a lot. OT advised me against the donut as it increases the pressure. I'm six weeks after my surgery and the progress is slow, but it's progress nonetheless. I'm on 10mg MST twice daily and Oxynorm 10mg every 4-6 hours. Also, I'm on 50mg Lyrica. It's so wonderful to share here with people like yourself, thanks again and take care.

Derek
Derek48

Hi Ambies, really appreciate you taking the time to reply and sharing your experience. I'm finding some comfort from the kind people of the site. Meds are helping me now and being reviewed by the pain team. Take care and God bless.

Derek
Derek48

Hi there and thank you for your reply and sharing your experience, it's interesting reading about your brother and him sitting on the loo, it's food for thought, once again thank you for sharing and God bless.

Derek
Derek48

Hi there and thank you for your reply and sharing your personal experience. Yes, it would seem that the rectum will take a long time to heal as it's an area that gets little or no air. It's sure is strange being stitched up in the rectum, and I feel it will take me some time to take it all in. Then I can try to deal with my colostomy. My meds are now helping me cope with the pain, so that's good. I'm due back to see my surgeon on Nov 21st. Thank you again and God bless.

Derek
Derek48

Hi there, Cas, and thank you for your reply and sharing your personal experience with me. Yes, there's a lot in your reply that I can relate to, and it feels so good that people like you can help shed some light and make me feel somewhat better in myself, knowing that I'm not alone. It's six weeks today since my surgery, slow progress is being made albeit slow, I'm thankful. I've been for a few short walks, but my shoulders are still bent forward. But I'm hoping in time that I can go for longer walks and hopefully short jogs. I too worry about hernias, and I'm conscious of not lifting, but I sometimes forget when I get the loving urge to lift up one of my two granddaughters. My wife shouts at me and almost gives me a heart attack. They say time is a great healer, I have that on my side. I thank you again, God bless, and take care.

Derek
hometown

Hello, sorry to hear you had to have the dreaded surgery. I also have had this surgery, and it is normal to have some pain in the surgical site, as it does take time. Also, I had the pressure problem for a long while off and on, and I was told it is like phantom rectum and to get relief you have to sit on the toilet and fool the rectum. I know this sounds silly, but it does help. I hope this information helps you, and God bless Hometown girl.

hometown

Hello, I just saw your post and I was wondering if you still have burning pain around the stoma? I had my colon cancer 24 months ago and I have suffered since then with burning pain and raw bleeding areas around the stoma. I had granulomas removed twice by the surgeon, and now currently seeing an ET nurse and nothing seems to help. What type of help have you gotten, and any info would be helpful to me. Thanks so much, Hometown girl

Derek48
Hi hometown girl, thanks for taking time out to share your experience. It's becoming very clear to me now that the pain I'm having is very normal. As for fooling the rectum, I shall take that on board and as soon as I can sit fully without support, I will give it a try. Thank you again and God bless you and yours.

Derek