Need help with wording and ordering a Medic-Alert bracelet for colostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Clormad
Hi,

I have a permanent colostomy and I would like to get a Medic-Alert bracelet reflecting this.

Can someone help me with the wording on the bracelet, and where would be the best place to order from? Anyone?

Thanks.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

I do have a card reading. This person has an ostomy. Any good!! Too lazy to find it though. It's a start though xx

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
DH

Hi, I was just talking about that with my husband. And I was wondering the same thing. Where do you get a bracelet that says "I have an ostomy"? I have a card that says it, but that's to use at the airport when you go through security. We should all have the bracelet in case we end up in the hospital unconscious and unable to tell anyone. I am going to try and find out how to get one. And if I do, I will let you know.

Past Member
http://www.theidbandco.com/Medical-Bracelets-Engraveable;try This site I was looking at a while ago, they do some nice things on here. Cld.
ostomyvisitor
www.americanmedical-id.com has all kinds of bracelets.

I would word it "I am an Ostomate" or "I have a colostomy"
and whatever info you want to include.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi, interesting thought never crossed my mind to think of having one for having an ostomy, maybe it's worth looking into as I've got a few things I could add too. Thank you for posting this... Take care, Ambies...

Tony62

I have a Medic Alert bracelet that simply says, "Ileostomy." I was told by an EMT that they are trained to look for bracelets, so don't get a necklace or pin or any such thing, if you're interested. Costs around $25/year, but I have my whole medical record on file with Medic Alert as well. Can't tell you how well it works because, fortunately, I've had no need to use it yet! But I wear it all the time.

GeneralPattyn
Check out www.identifyyourself.com. I have a permanent ostomy as well, and I bought a dog tag that has a USB drive built into it that stores medical records. They have quite a few bracelets and other items. I forgot to have it engraved, but I will know better the next time.

Good luck.
turtlecreek1961
Hey there

I have a colostomy also. I do have a medical alert ID. But when I was in an accident, the first thing they did to me at the hospital was to put a gown on me. My colostomy was very visible. If that is all you have and your colostomy works without issues, you really don't need one.
Bassqueen

Hello! I have a urostomy and Medical Alert folks helped me with the wording..

weewee

The only way I would worry about it is if you were one of the lucky ones that has to have the TPN port. If you have a rare blood type or the one for your cancer port injection spot, they would know that you have these. Plus, on your cell phone, you can have emergency numbers to have them contact a person that knows you, as long as you have it in a spot that can be found. My friend has his in a pouch around his neck so it doesn't get tossed. Plus, the nice pouch that carries your supplies is on your hip and belted to you. You can have it embroidered to say it. Plus, if they see blood, they check to see where you are bleeding from to stop it.

Past Member
Just been browsing the web, and I found a company that does all kinds of medic alert ID bracelets and leather bands. http://www.theidbandco.com/Medical-Bracelets...... Looks like a pretty good site. Ambies...
teacher

My husband is an EMT and he does agree that it would be beneficial to have a medic alert bracelet. Since reading this post, he is now bugging me to get one. He says that if there is an emergency and all your clothes are still on, when they put you on a stretcher, they tightly put a belt across your belly so it would be helpful for them to know this if you are unable to speak. He also recommends that if you know you are being taken to the hospital to bring some supplies.

teacher

My husband is an EMT and a computer professional. He said that they would never use a USB drive on a bracelet. First, most ambulances don't have computers or they have tablet computers dedicated to writing charts. Second, the hospitals often disable USB drives on their computers for fear of losing privacy of records or introducing viruses into their systems.

Jazx

I agree with your husband about the USB, but I have a USB anyway. I take it to the hospital and if they want, they can have my scans, x-rays, contact information. Sometimes docs think it is good.

I don't have a card or a Medical Alert, and I travel weekly on planes. Most of the time, I don't tell them until they start with the pat down, and then they get told and they wand me. I also always carry Adult Tylenol (8oz) and children's liquid Ibuprofen (16oz) with me, and they just open them and check, then I'm through. They don't ask me why I have them.

budd002

I got one as a gift from a friend many years ago. On the back of the bracelet, it says:

O RH POS (blood type)
Crohn's Disease
Ostomy
However, mine isn't registered with the actual Medic Alert people. If you get one from them, they keep all your information and can give it to the hospital or EMS.

mettajojo
try this... http://www.laurenshope.com/

Good luck

Jo
Eddie80
Here in Aus, I have one from here Emergency ID Australia. They are great!! This is what I have on it, see pic. But you can put anything to put on the database. So when an emergency person rings the number, they get all the info you want to put! $20 per year for membership and their jewelry is lovely!!!

I have blurred my member number.
mettajojo

But you can't apply from elsewhere apart from Australia, can you?

Have a nice day,

MettaJo

Eddie80

No, this one is an Australian one only. (I think) Maybe send them an email to be sure.