Longevity of Life with an Ileostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses tips and experiences on leading a fulfilling life with an ileostomy, focusing on longevity and well-being.
Earl

Hello Ohio!

I do drink a great deal of water on a consistent basis. About two quarts a day and more when I am exercising. I really watch myself when running and even when I am golfing during the summer.

Being a long-term ostomate, I have lost some kidney function, but I am at about 80% of normal. Periods of not drinking, such as when I have had blockages, is definitely hard on one's kidneys and it apparently can damage them.

I hope this helps.

I might add that from age 15 until now (age 72), there is nothing in life that I have wanted to do and was held back by my ileostomy. In 1972, my wife and I backpacked through Europe for two months. Those were the days of gluing the pouch onto skin and hoping for a day or two without leakage.

A friend here in Vancouver, Rob Hill, climbed Mt Everest and K2 with an ileostomy. He is quite the guy. He was sponsored by Convatec.

All the best,

Earl

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

kbd

Awesome that you have been able to do so much. Useful information! Thanks, Earl!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
flowerlady

A surgeon spoke at our recent ostomy meeting. She said that the average life expectancy after an ostomy was 20 to 25 years. Not sure when that study was done, but there was a member present that had hers for 35 years.

The general life expectancy is about 82 years, but there are many people in my community who live to be well into their 90s. My mother-in-law is now 101 years old, lives alone, and has just given up driving her car 2 weeks ago.

Guess it's all in the genes!

Xerxes

Flowerlady,

I would not give one iota of credence to that statement about life expectancy for an ostomate made by that surgeon. On the other hand, bless your mother-in-law. May she live another 101 years.

X_

bes0642

I've had my ileostomy for 12 years now. Thankfully, I've had no blockages because I'm very careful about what I eat. I also have a propensity to have kidney stones. My doctor put me on Potassium Citrate 10MEQ twice daily, and fortunately, it has shut down stone formation. Knock on wood, but it's been over 1 year with no stones. You may want to consider that option with your doctor. I previously had 5 surgeries to blast stones before I started this drug. Good luck.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Nakizimbo

For those of you interested, my father is 88 years old and has lived with an ileostomy pouch for 67 years following an ileostomy at the age of 21. He has had increasing problems in the last couple of years with a hernia but otherwise has led a very active life.

Bestcaregiver

My client, who is 98 years old, has a colostomy and is doing awesome except she eats all day.

dscarlos

I have had my urostomy (urine) for 46 years and the only problem is repeated parastomal hernia. They repaired it once but now it needs to be moved not just repaired. I only have the left kidney so it is too dangerous to risk repairing it now.

I believe that ostomy patients can live as long as the good Lord gives us. I praise God for my life and all of the opportunities He has provided.

blondedagmar1
Reply to Anonymous

Had a aunt that had a colostomy from in her twenties to in her 80s when she passed so you have a long time.