Unpredictable Bowel Movements: Does My Body Know My Schedule?

Replies
Views
malcie67

OMG
I do not sometimes believe my body....
The last couple of days have been fine, no major bowel movements, normal activity, great.. Now omg, talk about hyperactive! Does it know I am about to go out or what ......lol
I am sure it has a sixth sense. The times it has occurred are more than suspicious. I could be at work on my own all day, then at 15.50 I have a meeting with a client. Who can guess what happens next? You have to put up with it and laugh, but come on, give me a break..
I suppose it is very true what people say: Shit happens.
What are your stories or thoughts????
Please don't post me diet sheets as I eat very well and healthy.

DH

I think you might be right. It's like the ostomy has a sixth sense. I will put on a clean pouch before I leave the house. And once I am out, my stoma starts firing away, filling my clean empty pouch with poo. Hate it when that happens. I also noticed that every time I remove my pouch, my stoma retracts, becoming flush with my skin. And then when I start to put a pouch back on, it pokes out again. It's almost like having an alien thing with a mind of its own attached to you.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,377 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

StarUK

Mine waits for towns with awful toilets or when I just nip out unprepared!! Then I find myself muttering to myself. I used to wonder if people would give me a wide berth because they could smell something. Now I know, after catching myself in a shop window, it's me muttering to my stoma to behave in my best Austin Powers voice that does it. It's god, here comes the mad woman!!
Trish

gutenberg
I have no doubt that the ilium is connected to the brain, cause if I put a new pouch on and get in the car, as soon as that damn door closes, guess what opens up, RIGHT, if its a short trip by the time I get home i have a full pouch again, not too long ago someone had the right idea, if you pull out a rectum hair it will make your eyes water, so there is a connection, some-days I'd like to get that pouch caught in the car door, on second thought, maybe not.
bag_n_drag

I'm on the same bandwagon on this one! The minute I leave the house for any reason; poo fest! I've had to come home and change a bag between errands many times; or find a public restroom somewhere.....and let me tell ya, Texas is not known for its cleanliness in the public restroom arena!
Of course, going out to eat is also a major event right afterwards....as most of you know. Methinks ileostomies may be a bit worse about this than colostomies; as I have an ileostomy which I lovingly refer to as "Old Faithful!"
Sometimes Old Faithful rebels at night, too!
I agree with the alien concept with a mind of its own! Aaaaaaahahahaaaaaa!!!

Darla

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Well, I can go along with all of you on this topic. When I go anywhere, such as a walkabout in the forestry in the woods, you can bet your bottom dollar my friend starts to pump out the poo. And then, to cap it all, the gas sets in. LOL! By the time I get into the car to find a loo, I just don't want to bend forward from the waist in case it blows out the side. So there I am, sitting up straight at the wheel like a mannequin, hoping I can find the nearest toilet. The thing is, if you don't eat much, you fill with gas. You eat lots, then you're bound for a fill-up. LOL! A no-win situation... LOL... Ambies...

bag_n_drag

Ambies....amen, sister! It's a "no win" lol!!! Darla

gutenberg
I have found a neat trick, when your pouch is mostly air all you have to do is act as inconspicuously as possible and stand up straight then you can burp your pouch, of course you better make sure the air is at the top of the pouch, no shittin.
tess45

Yeah, I tried to burp the pouch once - thank God I was at home - I wear the Hollister two-piece, so you have to undo the end and burp it that way - well, what I thought was just gas wasn't LOL, and the next thing I knew, I had the old brown stuff running down my nice clean P.J.'s and leg - wish there was a fail-safe way to burp the Hollister. If someone has one, please let me know - thanks.

three

Hi Tess ~ the Osto EZ Vent is a simple solution:

http://www.kemonline.com/content/administration/ProductInfo
tess45
Hey Three - what is an e z vent?
three

This video explains how the vent is applied to the pouch:
tess45

Thanks a bunch. Looks like it would work.

hometown
Wow, this is a topic I can jump in on. There is no doubt the stoma has a connection to the brain. Every time I go out, I have the same thing. Well, I was flying to Florida to see my family, so I thought if I didn't eat much the day before and didn't eat at all until I arrived in Florida, I would be safe. Well, I got in the car for the drive to the airport, and the bag started filling all the way up. We had to stop and empty it. I got back in the car and within minutes on the road, the same thing happened. Well, I stopped again and this time I took 3 Imodium's and was talking to the stoma and saying, "Please stop this, you should have nothing in there." Well, all was okay until I got to the airport and was going through security, and once again the bag filled up. I had to explain what was happening to the guards, and they did, after giving me a dirty look, let me use the bathroom. Well, after my flight landed in Florida, the stoma went to sleep and slept all night and the next day. Go figure. This is just one of many problems we folks have to put up with. Wish we all could change these things, but in my case, I had cancer too. I guess I can't complain too much. LOL Joyce