Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,340 members

Abdominal swelling after Ileostomy reversal

Past Member
Posted by Past Member, on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:55 am
Hi.  I had my ileostomy reversal surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago.  My abdomin is really swollen and I can't wear regular pants, only loose fitting sweats.  This swelling will go away - right?  Does anyone know how long it will take the swelling to go down?

Thanks
Kerry
Reply by mooza, on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:41 am
Hey kerry i had some reversals yes 3 and yeah my belly was bloated its just healing i felt it was to big at the time but you had a big operation mine took couple of months and got itchy all the time its normal to swell darlz.. time the healer as they say maybe 2 or 3 months for me gees i remember my ops OUCHY take care mooza xx
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:30 am
Hi Mooza,
Thanks for the reply.  I HOPE you're right about the 2-3 months.  Then I should be good by Christmas.

Kerry
Reply by surfer1976, on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:23 pm
It takes a while for the healing process too take effect. You`ve been through major surgery. I don`t know all the meds that you have been on. If you have been on Steroids. It take a whilete too wean you off of them. After my last surgery in Nov2002. It took almost three years to wean me off , but I had been on them for almost 13 years. So you would have to e-mail me with more info. About what you have been going through. It was rough for me. Now I am doing better. You would need to read my profile, to get a better idea of what I had gone through. Contact
surfer1976
Good Luck and I hope you feel better as time goes on.
Karl
Reply by clippergirl, on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:56 pm
Having had lots of abdominal surgery---the one thing I can remember them telling me about the swelling is that when they have to handle your bowels at all they swell very easily and that they do eventually calm down.  Also sometimes they inject air into your bowels to make they easier to handle....and walking helps to work off the gas.  Everyone heals at a different rate, but you will eventually get better.  Good luck on your recovery.  Janece
Reply by mettajojo, on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:25 pm
Give it a 6 to 8 weeks that's what my consultant told me and yet it was settled during that period. Give it a little time, I am pretty new to my ileostomy too and get lots of support and advice here. Be patient!

All the best,
Jo
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:04 pm
Hi,

My late wife went through the very same thing.  It can be very tough, but you sound and look like a very strong woman.  I took care of my late wife daily for 5 years and while I did'nt experience her pain I did cry with her.  I can't say "I know what you're going through" but that would be untrue, I can that I can empathize.  If you want a friend, someone who is understanding, that you can say anything to get in touch.

Marty
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.