What type of work do people do?

Replies
Views
Past Member

I'm just curious as to what type of employment some of you may have. I'm currently unemployed and am at a point where I'm tired of having my bag popping on me (construction) from constant bending. Plus, I'm starting to feel my old surgical wounds. Damn, it sucks getting old! LOL

Past Member

I am an auto mechanic.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I'm an industrial mechanic and machinist.

annie_nu2

Yes, getting old does suck, but it beats the alternative.
I am a care manager. I help set up in-home services for older adults who need nursing home level of care.
Good luck!

cee

I have been a full-time homemaker since my diagnosis with colorectal cancer. I am very, very lucky that my husband has a secure job/insurance. However, the deal was I would work full-time when the kids were older. My condition (radiation proctitis) has made it impossible to work. We have three kids to put through college...the first one next fall. I am scheduled for a colostomy in August, and I hope I will be able to work and get a job. In my current state, I couldn't be a greeter at Walmart's.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
eily

Hiya...I work as a Learning Assistant in a Primary School. I love my job, not going to let my colostomy stop me doing it. Just had my last op in April so still recovering and on sick leave just now....

eddie

I am a nurse. I work 12-hour shifts. Fortunately, I don't have to work in the weather. All my family are in the construction trades, so I realize it would pose problems. I often have to lift heavy weights when patients are unable to help, but I do okay. I have an ileostomy. Good luck, Eddie.

Past Member

Hiya, I work as a photographer. I can imagine how hard it would be working in construction. I would find it very tough. Hope everything works out.

devilishjim

Hey, nice hearing from all of you. I am an equipment operator/mechanic on a private duck hunting club... Yep, I can imagine what construction does to you... Bouncing on a backhoe around the ranch has me changing pouch daily at times... I must get Annie's email for future assistance... lol

NancyAnn

Hi, I work in the clerical field but I have stomach problems sometimes and have to take a lot of time off work. It is hard to explain these situations to employers without them looking at me like I am a nutcase, or that I am lying. Does anyone out there also have problems with employers and having to take time off frequently?

PsychoJane
Hello! By the way, I like that thread. It's fun getting to know a little from everyone.
My employment is kinda abstract at the moment. I am currently "laid off" for lack of contracts for the summer, so I'm becoming a traveler for the hippie traveler for that time. Normally, I'm a statistics gatherer or, well, statistic interviewer. Call it however you want (my Frenchiness keeps me from having the right terms for it haha). I call people and ask them an insane variety of questions to allow some provincial statistics to be done. So I'm pretty much that lovely person that calls you and just feels like you would love to hang up on. Working on the studies to be a geologist though.
Katy

Hi, I am/was a primary school teacher until my emergency operation for ileostomy on Christmas Eve 2008. I have had to give up my class for this year. The poor class has had a bad year regarding continuity of teaching styles! As a previously very active 53-year-old, I am having to get used to living with this new person who I do not recognize, who has to nap in the afternoons and has the strength and stamina of a flea. My employers have been great, and they are currently planning how I can be eased back in gently in September. The need to access the toilet at all times without finding a stand-in teacher to cover may mean my role will change, and I don't think I'll manage full-time, but I will be back in some way or another, which is great.

fiestyphoenix_51

I am a respiratory therapist. Right now, I work with a staffing agency and that is great because I can work where I want. It's pretty slow for the agency lately, no one wants to pay the heavy price to work with an agency person. Take care.

Fiesty

Monsieur Le President

Katy,
If someone in the street stuck a knife in you, twisted it round and pulled out your intestines, you'd expect to be a little under the weather for a time.
The Great Healer will work eventually. You'll soon be making those kids suffer again.

Chelle21

I work as a program director for a radio station. I love the fact that my job is very flexible. I have had issues with my ileostomy leaking. I just leave work and tell them that I will be back.

Yancey

I'm an RN working in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.

Monsieur Le President

Myself and two of my sons have run a building refurbishment company for the last 10 years, and so I'm office-based, but travel the UK.
I have worked as a lorry driver and as a plasterer in the past, years back, but re-trained under a government scheme.

Quietdreamer28

I work in a hospital as a dietetic assistant. It's a lot of sitting at a computer. I plan on becoming a Registered Dietitian, but no worries on that, just walking around advising people on proper nutrition.

Past Member

I'm a carpenter. I wear a protective belt going to work over my bag and pretty much anywhere I go. It's made by Convatec. It's a great help and I've never had a bag fall off at work. Touch wood.

tarababy

Hi everyone, great to see this site going in leaps and bounds....I'm a waitress and breakfast cook...very hot job but I love it. Hope to own the shop one day...Take care...Tara

Monsieur Le President

When I first started playing rugby again, I made a protector out of a plastic carton about 125mm square, with slots cut in the sides, and put the Hollister belt through the slots to hold it on to the tags on the bag.
I wore it once, as towards the end of the game, it became apparent that it was likely to do more harm than good.
I always changed the morning before the game, and carried a change in my bag for after.
The only times I had difficulties was playing on public park pitches on tour in St. Louis.

Mike

I am a disk jockey at a radio station in California.

vulcanBMk2

I took early retirement, I really can't be bothered to work anymore—I've done my share!!! Anyway, it's my birthday today, I'm now 64..!!! Just another 12 months and I'll have some more pensions kicking in.... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!

Gus
I,m a truck Driver, formerly driiving interstate but just gave it away after 12 months on local. after 20 odd years doin it I finally got sick of driving.
Past Member

Well, I've done a little bit of everything,
done nursing, then owned 2 auto schools, then one landscaping bus.
Now I am just doing my pixel art...and a little volunteering
and trying to enjoy life.

kevy

Hi, I'm a furniture polisher. I've had an ileostomy for 14 years. A lot of lifting, but I haven't had any problems up to now.

Celeste

In the last 6 years since my ileostomy surgery, I worked as a substitute teacher, as a marker of prices at a Neiman Marcus Warehouse, and then became a MIG Welder at a plant where we made truck frames, and also worked in the press assembly of the same plant. I'm also a wallpaper and painter on the side. My surgery has not prevented me from doing anything. The working conditions when I was welding and inspecting were hot, with my skin getting hot and the air hot... I had a few bust outs... but, always had items on hand to change.
In wallpapering and painting.... I keep a box of matches with me in case of needing to empty... the smell is really gross at times (even though I am pretty used to it by now).
I also play on a co-ed softball team, I am the catcher... and not very athletic at all. But, I do enjoy it a lot.
I don't read books like I once did. Now I read off of the computer more... (way too much) lol
Since being laid off 9 weeks ago... I am going to college this fall to be a Physical Therapy Assistant.
We can allow ourselves to sit and do nothing or to enjoy life the best we know how is my philosophy.

Jenni

I work in a primary school office - money is crap but the hols sure do make up for it.

Dean99

I work at a prescription through the mail place. I fill prescriptions, as well as pack them. Nice job. Monday through Friday. Indoors. OK money. My co-workers are pretty much all nice to work with.

Mike

I work as a DJ in a radio station here in Central Calif.