Seeking BCIR surgery experiences after colon removal

Replies
Views
Beth20

Hello to you all, I had my colon removed almost a year ago due to ulcerative colitis, docs say I can do the reversal if I want to but I am having second thoughts, not very many success stories. Any one have the BCIR surgery done? I would love to hear from you if you have. Thanks, and best to you.

peaches

Yes. Had it done in St. Petersburg, FL in 1991. I developed many fistulas and after 10 years of patching, I had to return to the bag. Maybe they have new procedures though. Check it out thoroughly. Call and speak to patients that have had it done. Ask pros and cons. Good luck.
Peaches

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bumba

I have had a continent ostomy since 1991. I think this was before BCIR and it was called a Kock pouch. I had trouble with hernias and pouchitis for a few years. I feel this procedure has been very successful for me. I also had a conventional ileostomy for many years prior to that. I hope I never have to go back to an external pouch. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to talk to you.

Past Member

Hi. I had the external pouch for approximately 12 years and then converted to the BCIR system. I have been with the BCIR for about 20 years. There are pros and cons with both systems. I decided to switch to the BCIR due to my profession. Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss more.

Bruce

lilcherub

Hi there, I had my B.C.I.R done in 2002 in London, Ont. I have had a few small issues but nothing that would make me ever go back to the external. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

The reason you only see bad stories about reversals is because the ones that it worked out for aren't sitting at home giving out about the operation, they are out enjoying their life. I have had the jpouch done and am waiting for the take down to remove the bag in December. I went through about a week of pain and after that it was okay. Stick to a good low fiber diet, avoid alcohol and tea and coffee, and you will be okay. Go for it. I can't wait to be able to go swimming and sunbathing on holiday without trying to hide the bag. You will probably have to go to the toilet maybe 4 or 5 times a day. You will be able to really know your body and what to eat to keep the output thick. Good luck whatever you decide.

Ronan
vanessavy

I am late to the thread but I have a BCIR

4-5 times a day in the toilet is a lot. You must be eating a lot. I drain 2-3 times. Only time I drain 4 is if I do a heavy workout and want to be empty going in.

Beth20

Hello, to you all, I just came across my post from 2011. I did decide to get the K pouch surgery after talking to many folks at every age group. I am just 4 weeks post-op. I had it done at Cleveland Clinic by Dr. Deits. So far, things are going okay. I am a bit sore yet and still have the constant drain in. I will have it for about 2 weeks yet. I am so hoping for a better quality of life without the outside appliance. Best to you all. I will continue to post as my recovery continues...