Seeking advice: Vocal stomach and constant diarrhea after colorectal cancer treatment

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Mack

Hi
I am pretty much a newbie here and have spent many hours reading through members' posts.
I had colorectal cancer about a year ago. This was operated on, and then I went on six weeks of chemotherapy followed by six weeks of radiation treatment, including one week of 'eltron boost' at the end of treatment.
My stoma therapy sister told me that I had a 'poorly constructed stoma'. This was shortly after my operation when she was assisting me with my colostomy bags.
I have since developed a peristomal hernia. My stoma therapy sister says surgery does not really benefit in the long run, and she recommended I use a hernia belt (which I made myself to suit a pouch).
?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /o:p /o:p
Three months ago, I started getting severe stomach cramps, the kind that wake you from a deep sleep or stop you in your tracks if you are upright. My GP said it was a mild case of gastro. The cramps are gone now.
Now I have constant diarrhea, and my stomach area has become very noisy and can be heard up to about 5 meters away.
My question is, has anyone else had this vocal stomach and constant diarrhea?
Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
o:p /o:p

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello Mack,

I haven't really had the problems you mention in this particular way.  However, I would like to take the opportuntiy to welcome you to the site.   Just so that I can contribute something that might be helpful - I used to need to use Loperimide to regulate the looseness. However, the tablets were far too strong and would create blockages. I was prescribed the Loperimide in a liquid form and I'd measure it out in small amounts to suit my needs in a small, syringe.  This worked very well alongside psyillium husk which also helped create the right consistency and diminish wind.

I hope that's helpful  

Best wishes    Bill
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
tess45

Welcome Mack - yes, I get the dreaded noise - when the stomach and Stepfan the Stoma get together, they can sound like a bad metal rock band - all I do is have a snack, usually carb-filled, and take a gas tablet - I try to stay away from the foods that cause gas, and I eat five meals a day with the lightest meal in the evening. I also have diarrhea, and I take Lomotil for it every day. Hope this helps. Terry

Mack

Hi Tess45,
Thanks for the advice, I will try taking a gas tablet and maybe some Lomotil or loperamide, as Bill suggests.
I have been on 1/2 a betaperamide a day. Maybe I am not having enough dosage?
Thanks again
Mac

Mack

Hi Bill,?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /o:p/o:p
Thanks for the info, I am a bit weary of overdoing the gastro tabs as you mentioned the blockages. I think I must use the process of elimination, try something new until I find one that works.o:p/o:p
Thanks againo:p/o:p
Maco:p/o:p

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
DH

I find that Imodium A-D helps when I have diarrhea. And I get diarrhea from the chemo I am on. The nurse recommended it. Good luck.
Donna

Past Member

Hi Mack, I have the same problems with the runs and stomach noises. I agree, it all depends on what you're eating. If I don't eat on time, then gas seems to be created, so it's trial and error. There are meds you can take. But I find marshmallows can help when you're passing too much loose stool. Hope you find some of these posts helpful...tc Ambies

Xerxes

Sounds like you had quite the treatment and the trauma is probably still having its effect. It might just be a matter of just needing more time to normalize. I know that Imodium can be effective, but be a bit careful because the Imodium and other meds like this can cause cramping. After all, their function is to slow down gut motility and enhance absorption thus eliminating the loose bowels. The excess gas is probably the result of the type and quantity of food you are eating. Over time, you will learn what types of food you should avoid. The old trial and error. Be well.

X_

Mack

Thanks for all the replies, I am trying Loperamide at the moment which seems to have great short-term results, and will give the marshmallows a go.
Thanks again.
Mack

tess45

Oatmeal is also a good food to slow things down - even before you go to bed.

Past Member

Never thought of that one, Tess. Great, will try that one myself... Ambies.

Highlander15

Sometimes gas can cause painful cramps. I wonder if probiotics would help? I take them and garlic tabs. I have to stay away from beer and beans, ha ha. I also had radiation, I am sure it affects the motility of the bowel that is left. I also have a small hernia, it looks like a tiny blip, I sometimes draw a face on it!

Meg

Pinky

I have found bananas to be the wonder food for all kinds of problems and am very sorry on the infrequent days when I don't eat one in the morning. Ditto yogurt.

Also, for gas, try Beano or Gas-X Preventive (if you have these products in S. Africa). Works like a charm for me.