2-Phase Reversal

In this discussion
Replies
Views
fable3
Hi all... I've been lurking for about a year, rarely post but love reading everyone's stories. I earned my colostomy by way of a surgical injury. I had no previous gastro issues nor any type of bowel disease. Surgery was to remove gynecological cancer, which was caught very early (stage 1B1). I survived! Honestly, that's all that really matters to me.

To the point ...

Colorectal surgeon advises a two-phase reversal process because I had radiation so close to the rectal stump and the severity of original infection (adhesions). Colonoscopy showed minimal radiation damage. I have approx. 10-15 cm of rectal stump before you can see the staples. The man took a pic of them for me. Shiny metal pieces in my arse. Hooray.

Anyhow, phase one is scheduled for Monday. Colostomy to Loop-Ileostomy surgery, and then 6 weeks to allow the anastomosis (SP?) to heal. Phase two is to re-connect the ileum to the colon and close the stoma site. First surgery will require a mid-line incision and 3-5 day hospital stay. Second surgery does not require midline to be re-opened and the length of stay reduced to 2-3 days barring complications.

Anyone ever heard of this approach? Anyone ever had this process done for their reversal?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

star321
Hi,

I had a two-stage reversal, which I believe is the most common and safest due to potential infection and adhesions. I was in the hospital for a week for the first stage and about five days for the second.
I had a four-month break in between my two stages and didn't really have any problems.

My biggest tip would be to really look after your nutrition. I didn't, and my body struggled to heal itself, causing infections and other problems.

Good luck. Take care.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
fable3
Hi Star - Thank you for the response. I'm happy to hear you're doing well now. Any infections or other problems? Care to elaborate??

Hi everyone else,
I'm here to update on my status. I had the colonoscopy conversion to ileostomy on 11/14. The doc took my appendix out, reconnected my colon to my rectum, cleaned up the scar from the emergency surgery last year, and glued me shut. The doc said it all went very well and the surgery was over in half the estimated time. My husband was surprised when the doc came out 1 1/2 hours later with a smile.
I was up and walking around on Tuesday, started eating soft foods the following day, and finally released on Friday morning. Almost 5 days in the hospital, but I was feeling great! No issues with food, output, or energy. I was walking 15 minutes at a time at least 5-6 times a day. The doc was amazed. Needless to say, I was happy considering the hell I went through the last time.

I hit a wall when I got home, though. Three days of no appetite, pain, feeling super tired, no walking.. YUCK. I was really disappointed as it seemed I had done so well in the hospital. Plus, I started having VERY FREQUENT mucus movements. Sometimes 8-10 a day! They hurt at first with immense urgency, but not anymore. Now, I can feel the pressure and can wait to get to the restroom. It's a little frustrating to be "going" from two ends, but hey...

Today, I am back to my old self! I have been Christmas shopping, making some fantastic meals, and getting stuff done around the house. It feels really good. I find out tomorrow when the 2nd phase will be scheduled.
fable3

So I'm posting an update, again. Phase two has been scheduled for Dec 29 as long as the results from the Gastrografin enema (Dec 27) come back normal, i.e. no leaks from the recently connected colon rectum. Very excited and happy to see a light at the end of this long tunnel.