Colon Cancer with a Colostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
hometown
Hi all, I am a newbie, but i have been reading all the posts that i can, as i need to hear about otheres problems so mine may not seem so bad. I had emergency surgery in 2009 for a blockage in the intestines, which turned out to be a cancerous tumor. I woke up 7 days later with severe peritionitis and a colostomy. I was living in Florida at the time, but after 8 weeks in rehab my son wanted me to return to NJ to live with him and hope to get better medical care up here. Well I have done all they asked of me and went through a terrible time of 6 months of Chemo and lots of problems with the colostomy. Well two years later I finally have some control over the sores and burning due to sores around the stoma, and now I just had a Pet Scan CT scan and I have a new tumor in the mesentery , and a spot on the liver. I will be going to the oncologist this week, but I am very worried. I was wondering if anyone out there has had this type of cancer come back? Thanks to anyone who will respond to this ;Joyce hometown
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,097 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero
hi joyce and welcome to the forum. i am a colo/rectal cancer survivor for 12 years. i have no experience with return, but am posting this to show my support for you. my thoughts and prayers for a good report , keep the faith...... cancer can be beaten, there are many on this site that have done so...you can and will too. mmsh
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill
Hello Hometown,

Thanks for your post.  I don't have any experience of this myself but I do know a few people who have had cancer at intermittent intervals and they are still going strong.  Keep the faith and try to get the best out of life.

Best wishes  Bill
DH
Hi Joyce, I have a colostomy due to rectal cancer and am currently still getting chemotherapy. Went through six weeks of chemo and radiation before my surgery and 9 chemo treatments after surgery ,with only 2 more treatments to go. i can't imagine going through 6 months of chemo like you have.That had to be rough. And can't imagine having cancer come back after going through it already. But it's good that they caught your cancer. The sooner the better.Just keep a positive attitude. Thats what my doctor always tells me. Let us know how you make out. And have a happy Thanks Giving Donna
Pinky
Hi Joyce - I am a rectal cancer survivor of 9 years. I would not be here today if I had followed my oncologist's advice when he thought my cancer recurred only a few months after finishing chemoradiation and was on to the 6 months of adjuvant chemo. I had a mass throughout my pelvis that engulfed all my organs and was strangling my small and large bowels. The oncologist wanted me to go forward with the chemo w/a life expectancy of a year. I'm sure glad I didn't go that route!

Instead I opted for surgery and chemo straight into the abdomen. It is important that you investigate other treatment modalities like what I had (hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemo, or HIPEC for short), total excision of the mesentery (my understanding is that this was being done routinely now for rectal cancer) and ablation,cyberknife or SIR spheres for the liver mets. Living in NJ you are close to some of the best cancer centers in the nation (Sloan-Kettering, St. Vincent's, etc).

My experience is medical oncologists don't always offer the surgical alternatives that may be available. Mine was certainly against my surgery - saying I "would never be the same"...well, that may be true but I am living proof of how important it is to explore ALL your options.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
hometown
Thank you all for your support. I am so scared at this point, as I am now waiting for the hospital to call and schedule my biopsy. I keep thinking this is the end for me and I want to fight this and hope it can be something that goes into remission. I had never heard of the mesentry having a tumor has anyone out there? God Bless all of you for careing, as I don't have much support in my family which is small Have a great Thanksgiving to All Joyce
hometown
Wow so glad to hear that the oncologist can be wrong, as I am currently going to John Theure Cancer Center and they are suppose to have wonderful doctor's here. My oncologist is a man of few words and at times like this I want more than a few words. If things can't be resolved I will have to think about another alternative, as this oncologist told me this is non operable. Thank You for all your information Joyce
gremlin
Hi: You are very right you think you have it really bad and you look around and see someone worse than you and you say this is not so bad. Back in 1998 I found out that I had ganggreen in the bowel . I was in the hospital 4 four months and had eight surgeries during that time. The doctors told me that if I came in one day later I would have not made it. During that time I had a colostomy and for a little while I thought that this was the end of the world. Today if anyone asks I just say it is a little inconvenence. It is not bad at all considering I have a friend who beat breast cancer, ovarian cancer and now has colon cancer and has to have a colostomy. She had surgery for this last Tuesday 11/23/11. She did a lot of reading up on colostomy proceedures and was ready when the time came. Even though I have had 74 surgeries and have both an iliostomy and colostomy I feel that what I have is little inconvenence compared to my friend and someone with no arms and no legs. You learn to live with it and can very easily lead a normal life with both or either of these things. The doctor came into my room before surgery and said you can have this done and live a normal life or not have it done and probablyyou will be dead in a very short time.It was really not a hard decision to make.
zelenijurij
hi, i am new here and i have a lot of reading to find what interests me...i had cancer in intestines, was operated and then advised to go through chemo which i refused. I have decided to go against cancer myself. i had the operation in sept 2011 and so far all works well.. . i believe you must give yourself a chance to go against it ...with diet, natural remedies, change in thinking
ethanjames
Hi i am new here and 4 years in remission with colostomy from colon cancer. Just messaging to give my support i believe it,s very important to stay positive meditate the journey, result and youthfulness you want. My thoughts and prayers are with you, good luck.E.J.
christiesdad
Of course, I realize that there are no "for sure's_ in the medical field. But I am confused about the delima, you folks are discussing. I had a colostomy and reversal one year apart and was very fortunate,outcome was most satisfactory, I wish the same for you all. But, if they remove your colon, (in my case the whole thing was removed, leaving just enough to fix it later), how can one possible get colon cancer? I am not being a smart ass, I just can't understand.

Funny thing happened to meA few weeks ago, the Dr. that did my colonoscopy, called and said I was due for a re-exam. I asked him, what he was going to examine?
schneckerm88
Hi Ethanjames, it's nice to get few people online from Melbourne. Our support system is non existing. The only one is at Preston and North hospital to far for me. I live in Cheltenham. So far I only have meet mooza online, she is great and funny from Port Melbourne. I write on Forums with any problems and if I feel up to it sometimes a blog.General all advise I get is from the US. Do look up my profile if you like and maybe you will answer back. Cheers Schnecke