Interested in meeting or talking to: Female

I am a 57-year-old Male
Interested in meeting or talking to: Female

I am a 65-year-old Female
Interested in meeting or talking to: Anyone
Meet and talk to 20,105 OstoMates

Popcorn & Gas

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:51 am
Hello All - I have two questions and would appreciate any help or advice on both. First one - has anybody with an ileo been able to eat Popcorn - it's one of my fav's and I need food right now that makes me happy - I had a small handful the other night and nothing bad happened but I am scared to try anymore. Is it the small hard brown part of the kernel that could cause a blockage because I can avoid those pieces if need be. Question two - I have been getting really bad gas overnight - when I wake up it's like having a Dolly Parton boob in my lap - I do take a no name gas pill before I go to sleep but it has not been working. I am one of those dreaded mouth breathers when I sleep so I know that is a large part of the problem - any suggestions anyone?

thanks
Terr

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:42 am
As for the popcorn.. I eat a bag almost every night. It helps with solidifying. My surgeon suggested it and I was scared at first but popcorn is less likely to block you than regular corn. Go figure. As for gas I've had the same problem and still don't know what to do. It's been so bad that the bag has blown off need I say more.. I try not to eat anything after 7pm which helps with the problem. If you come up with a solution let me know. Good Luck.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:23 pm
Popcorn or nuts or even regular corn on the cob have never produced a blockage problem for me. As far as the gas is concerned, I think it's more a matter of what you eat than when you eat. Certain veggies can produce enough gas for use in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.

Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:04 pm
Popcorn i carnt tolerate, but i have trouble with gas too,but ive found if i have 2 ginger biscuits in the evening its seems to cut down the amount of gas,not sure if its the ginger or what but it helps.. Try it carnt loose anything. ambies..

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:37 am
The surgeon told me that was the only food to avoid, but like you I love it so I tried it and have ate it ever since with out any problems.  I have had an ileo for 8 years
eddie

Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:54 am
Hello Tess45,
This reply is not likely to be of any practical use to those with an ileo but I thought it might be 'interesting'.  When I had a bag I suffered from gas. Possibly because I started eating just what I wanted to - after so many years on an enforced diet.  However, even on the diet I still had gas problems - so I figured that it was not necessarily the food that was causing it.  When I started irrigating. The input of water brought all the gas to the surface and that has a tendancy  to spurt out huge amounts of gas along with the first lot of water.   I am still bemused at the amount of gas that it produces.  I'm beginning to feel that I alone am the cause of global warming!  Anyway for the period until the next irrigation I have very little problem with gas.  This is just as weel as I use a stoma-plug and wonder if the pressure of too much gas would push it off.    I understand that there are preparations based on charcoal that reduce this problem of gas. However, like most things in life they are likely to cause another.  - like constipation.
   Best wishes   Bill

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:45 pm
I have had an ileo for 18 years now and really have had no real problems that way.  I eat popcorn and nuts regularly and  it all seems to be okay.  The only problem I have, is if I eat too many raw vegetables.  I just have to remember to chew everything really well, as I have had a few blockages over the years.  Everyone is different, so I guess it is trial and error for everyone.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:57 pm
I eat popcorn smothered in butter at least once a week. as for the gas, I eat yougart before bed as a snack. Not sure why  maybe it's the kive bacterial cultures but it seems to get rud of the gas for me....

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:02 pm
Ha Ha thanks for the chuckle   good answer
Take care

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:04 pm
Hello
I eat popcorn all the time and have not had any problems.. I to have an iliostomy.  For gas I have used gas X its just an over the counter tablet for gas. That seems to do the trick.  Good luck
Dee

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:17 am
HI I love popcorn and eat it all the time. I have never had a blockage in 11 years, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I have tried many brands and I stay away from the ones that are way too kernelly(Probably not a word, lol). Also this may sound weird, but I spit out all of the kernels that I can-you know all the small, thin, half circle pieces that get stuck in your teeth. I just get a bowl and spit them into it while eating my popcorn, it may sound weird or gross but I think it probably does help at least a little at avoiding blockages. I also chew very well before I swallow and drink lots of water. Well anyways that it my experience with popcorn, hope you have similar luck. Kel

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:13 am
I eat popcorn about twice a week with NO problems at all. No extra gas or blockage either.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:03 am
they make a hulless popcorn you can find it on the internet

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:12 am
Thanks everyone for the replies - I will try the Ginger and the yogurt and continue to eat popcorn

Weewee - what site do you order from and flavor do you get?

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:15 pm
Hi: Even though I am not susposed to eat poccorn I do once and a while. I am not supposed to eat regular corn eaither because it gets stuck in the pockets of the intestine. I do eat that occasionally also. You really need to check with your doctor and see what he says about what you can eat.
Go to page: 1, 2, 3  Next
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.