Stitch It Up!

Replies
Views
panhead511

I have a question to those who have been experiencing what I am going through. I have been looking into having my rectum removed due to bleeding and excessive discharge out the back end. I constantly have to use the bathroom all day long due to this problem. I have read other people's blogs and posts on this subject and found that everyone had different reasons for having their rectum removed but no one had it removed for this problem that I have found. Please, can you tell me if anyone has experienced this? Any comments or advice that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for listening and have a great day!!!

Past Member

Before I went for the permanent ileostomy, I had the same issues. I used to have to put a special pad on my bed just to keep the discharge from ruining the mattress. After a few failed reversals, it was time to get on with my life and get the permanent ileo. The surgeon told me right up front that he was going to remove the rectum and stitch everything up, and I'm glad that he went that route. I still have a tiny bit of mucus, but I would liken it to sweating.

Paul
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

TexasGirl

I have a friend who is in the hospital right now because of the same problems you speak of. In October, she had her lower intestine removed but the rectum was left intact. This was due to ulcerative colitis. The bleeding and pain continued and worsened. She went in for her surgery two weeks ago to have the rectum removed. From what she explained to me, the colitis was spread throughout her pelvic area. I too have had my rectum removed but due to colorectal cancer. The only discharge I have is occasional mucus, but my surgeon explained that that is normal. I wish the best to you.

Monsieur Le President
As I understand it, UC only affects the large bowel, rectum, and anus.
I had a total colectomy, which involved removal of all 3.
Once the surgery repaired, I have never had further problems.
It would appear that it all depends on your luck (or lack of) as to the reason for the surgery. Cancer and Crohn's would appear to pose the bigger problems for totally ending future treatments.
Certainly in my case, removal of the affected organs removed the UC.
What I would say is, demand full explanations of what is happening to you from your surgeon and medical teams.
Good luck to everyone.
Whoa

Panheads
I am assuming you have some type of ostomy diversions and still have your rectal stump intact. I don't know your particular reason, but some folks with the rectal stump left can suffer from distal or disuse colitis in the area; the stump will still produce mucus and cause the feeling you need to go to the bathroom; some folks will have the bleeding, pain, etc. It should be checked out, and sounds like that is what you did.

If you have Crohn's or UC and it is bleeding and acting up, more reason to get it checked.

Depending on the cause for the proctitis and disease state, treatment can range from medications to rectum removal.

Hope that info helps.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
panhead511

Thank you for those who took the time to answer my question. I know that it can be a touchy subject for some. You gave me something to think about. I just know that I need to do something about it soon. However, I have a doctor's appointment next month, so I will find out more when I see him. Once again, thank you for your input. God bless.

Ladehawke

Hey man, I can definitely relate. I don't know what your situation is, but I had quite a bit of painful bleeding and mucosal discharge after my ileo and it was mainly due to Crohn's disease and irritation from a lack of use. I still had active Crohn's in that area, so I'm on meds now to help control the disease (just recently started Humira) and the Humira has been working really well! My doctor said I could either have the rectum removed or try some other meds first and see how things go, so if you have Crohn's or UC, you could definitely ask about other treatments first. Once you have the removal, it's gone, so the more informed you are, the more comfortable you'll be with your decision. Hope this helps and best of luck to ya!

panhead511

Thank you ladehawke for your input. It was greatly appreciated. When I see my doctor, I will find out what's going on and we will take it from there. If medication will help, then I would rather do that than have another surgery. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write me. I hope that you will have a great day!

Zoe
Hi Panhead, I have just come home from the hospital after having my rectum removed. I have UC, had my entire large bowel removed 6 months ago, and have an
ileostomy
. My symptoms were identical to yours, apparently the UC was in my rectum even after they removed my diseased bowel. Lots of medication was tried to control the UC in the rectum but it just got worse, so out it came. The surgeon said it was totally gone, the entire rectum was ulcerated. They left my anus so when I decide I can have the option of a reversal in the future. It's only 10 days post my surgery but it is so good not to have that pain, bleeding, and discomfort, and the many many trips to the loo that used to plague me.
Good luck
cheers, Zoe.