Loop Stoma

Replies
Views
dina93

Hi all - my operation was in March 2011 - I guess for my age (72) I have adjusted to the situation - the loop stoma has two holes, one for elimination and one for mucus - I was producing mucus 100% of the time (sometimes over-producing), now suddenly, this past week - no mucus...I see the doctor on Dec 7th, but I wonder if anyone has an idea what is going on...no pain - I did get a parenthesis surgical procedure and 1100ml of fluid was removed (I went from 113lbs to 109 in a matter of less than an hour...)

banshie3by5

I don't have a loop so I'm not sure. I'm guessing maybe it's normal? Maybe something calmed down so you're not producing as much?

My Hartman's pouch (leftover, unused rectal vault) only drains continuous mucus (hyper flushing) when the Crohn's is hyperactive. Otherwise, it goes just a bit each month. It makes such small amounts it takes a while to add up.

If you're not having any pain or fever, I think you're okay until your appointment. If you are having pain around the area, or if you've begun a fever - even low grade - call your doctor.

Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,314 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

fable3

I have a loop ileo now, but I couldn't tell you if mucus was coming out of the second stoma if I wanted to... It's hard for me to even tell where it is because it seems to all come out of one general area. I'm sorry, I wish I could be of more help to you.

iMacG5
I'm 71 and had the loop done in July.  It's in the center about 2 inches above the navel.  Some mucous comes out the left opening and a little mucous comes out the rectum.  My docs say that's all OK so long as there's no pain or bleeding.  Your doctor will probably tell you the same. Let us know.

Good luck,

Mike