Latex Allergy Causing Itching with New Two-Piece Bag?

Replies
Views
koldkanuck

Does anyone else have itching, not the stoma itself but where the tape is? My wife is using a new two-piece bag with a wafer, and something is causing terrible itching. She is allergic to latex. I wonder if there is latex in the tape?

Past Member

Hi, I had a 2-piece bag and put tape around the edges. It worked for a while, then I developed terrible itching where the tape went. I tried all sorts of different tapes, only to find I reacted in the same way. With the help of my stoma nurse, it was trial and error trying different things. Finally, my nurse suggested I try a one-piece bag. I use Dansac Nova one-piece, and my skin stopped itching because with this appliance, I don't need to use any tape at all to keep things in place. Also, I use a barrier wipe for the skin. I am much more confident using this one-piece and don't have to worry about securing the flange edges. My skin cleared up, and there's no more horrible itching. Take care, Ambies...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

StomaStan

I use a Convatec two-piece system with the moldable wafer, and it is incredible. No cutting or trimming, and it fits perfectly. And I have never had an issue with leaks or skin irritation. But with the tape, it has been trial and error as well. Living in Arizona, in the summer after I first got the colostomy, it was hard to keep secure because of the 115-degree heat. But I found some zinc oxide-based waterproof tape that works great and is easy on my skin. I don't care if it is pink or not! LOL

koldkanuck
ambies...
On 30.11.2011 12:14, David P. Vandale wrote:
Thank you.
We went from the one piece to the two because of various other
issues.
We use the barrier wipe and stomahesive powder too.
We had terrible leakage problems with the one piece. Now we can go
from one change to another without the 2-5 bag changes in one day, but
now the itching.
I do not want to go back to the one piece. Thanks for the info though.
Ambies.
koldkanuck
Thank you, Stan. I will try that.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

No problem, Kanuck. Hope you find something that helps. If I have any other ideas, I will post them here. Good luck, Ambies.

Possum

Itchy = allergy. I put up with terrible irritation and itchiness until a stomal therapy nurse told me that I was allergic to the barrier film I was using. I've gone over to Hollister and had no problems since. I use an Eakin Seal and a Dermacol Collar together as a barrier against leaking. It's very successful as I have short bowel syndrome and my output is very liquid. Good luck!

~traci~

Do you have an aet nurse? If not, call the company and tell them what is happening. They will be able to guide you as to why you're itchy. If you feel itchy within a couple of hours, I would say that you could be having a reaction to the tape. People are often allergic to the tape or adhesive that they use. Is that all that is new to you? No new paste, barrier cream, etc. could also be the cause. I get itchy when it's time for me to change the flange every time! Good luck!!

Rabbit
A few years back, a band-aid I was wearing got very wet and resulted in a pretty nasty rash. Now, with the devices, I itch too. An ostomy nurse helped me find the least itchy, but for me, keeping it dry helps the most. As an experiment, try wrapping with plastic wrap (all the way around) when you take a shower. It may still get a little wet, but use a hair dryer to dry off. If it helps, you probably are allergic to the combination of moisture and the adhesive. Sweating will result in the same situation, so some people use a washcloth to keep drier. If you cut a hole a little larger than the flange and push the bag through so it hangs from the flange, it keeps the plastic off your skin. Put the hole in a corner to get maximum use of the cloth.

You can also cut pieces of different adhesives and put them on your skin to test. Try getting them wet too.

I get what I call the ring of fire. A very light application of an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream really helps take the rash down. But the adhesive will likely not stick very well, so you might have to attack it an area at a time.

Good luck!
sewingdee

Hi: I also was allergic to the tape. A Ostomy nurse told me to wash the skin with soap and water, rinse well, then sprinkle the skin with Stomahesive powder (Convatec) then lightly tap around the area with AllKare Protective barrier wipe to keep the powder on the skin. Let the AllKare dry a minute or two then put your barrier on. I had terrible trouble also and now follow this procedure every time I change my flange. If the skin is really bad, go to your doctor and ask for a powder called Nystatin powder (can get the generic called Nystop) and it will get rid of the itchy rash. Hope this helps.

Past Member

I had a colostomy 6 years ago; went through trial and error a long time before I found out what works for me. I had a lot of itchy, bleeding skin all the time. Now I use a Coloplast 14175 one piece with a 4" Hollister barrier; my skin has been really great ever since. I put paper tape around the edge to keep it adhering like it should. Hope this helps.
Lots of great ideas here on this site also. Thanks everyone!!

ilsn2u

Everyone is different...see your ostomy nurse, if you can. Different products from a different company might solve the problem--it's trial and error. But stomahesive powder might also help--just be sure to wipe off any excess before you put the flange on, as too much powder will cause the flange to not stick as well. I shower daily with my appliance on and have had no problems with the wet flange--I usually put a piece of dry paper toweling around the flange while I'm getting dressed and that dries the flange more quickly.