Stoma Scope Procedure and Adhesive Removal Tips?

Replies
Views
Bunkie

Has anyone ever had a scope done through their stoma with an ileostomy? If so, who does it, the surgeon or the gastro guy? I heard of it but don't know where to go. Maybe they can see where this narrowing is as all the other tests don't. Another thing, how do you remove this adhesive from your hands or around the stoma after you remove the bag? Nothing seems to take it off. None of the removers work well and I practically have to scrub my skin raw. A real pain when it is on your hands and everything else sticks when you try to put together your bag. Anybody else have these problems?

Ricko37

My surgeon used a scope to check my ileostomy for restrictions. As for adhesives, I have not used them in thirty years.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,453 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mooza

Have you tried the WAi? It's a spray-on remover that kinda slides the pouch off. Do you glue the pouch on or something? If so, stop and get some free samples from other companies.

Dansac-nova

Hollister

Convatec

Omnigon

Coloplasts-sensura (I use that one)

I think Pelican too

Check them all out so you get some peace xxx mooza ...xxxxxx

DH
Hi Bunkie, I am pretty sure the gastro doc can scope you through your stoma. I have to go in a couple of months to get my stoma scoped. Mine will be a colonoscopy done through my colostomy stoma. So I am pretty sure they do it through ileostomies too. But if you're more comfortable with a gastro surgeon doing it, they do these procedures usually with more advanced equipment. Good luck and happy holidays, Donna.
kbd

My mom was recently telling me about my uncle using kerosene to remove the paste--seriously. I about fell over. I don't know why anyone would want to use that stuff. I use the Adapt barrier ring, works great and removal is no problem. I use a Hollister remover wipe after I pull off the wafer and ring, then just rub the excess glue off of my skin.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pinky

Stethoscopes are common. I've had several.

three

Hi Bunkie ~ Have you tried a different product called an Eakin Cohesive Seal? I find you can easily remove this product by cooling it slightly with a blow dryer set on "cool", rolling it into small balls under your thumb or fingers, and easily picking up those small pieces of seal.
Quickfix

I had a colonoscopy through the stoma last week and it really isn't much different than a regular one. The only difference was, I laid on my back instead of my side. It was done by the surgeon. I was out for about 20 minutes and never felt a thing.

banshie3by5

Eakins go on better if you warm them up with a blow-dryer. If you don't use skin prep, you don't need remover either, with Eakins. They just roll up/pill when rubbed with a washcloth in the shower. Because they are plant-based, clean residue is fine to leave on the skin, just put new Eakin on like normal (warmed up of course).

When I quit using preps/cleaners, I quit having skin breakdowns and my wafers last 2-4 days longer with a better seal. Healthier skin + warmed up Eakin wafer = 4-7 days wear time and no owwwies, for me.

Oh, scope...when having rectal exams, whether into rectal pouch, stoma, or anus, these are all done by the same doc that does non-ostomate scopes.

LilyJ

Over the years, I have had several endoscopies through the stoma. They have been done by a surgeon, but generally by the gastroenterologist. No big deal! As for adhesive, I haven't used stuff like that in years. I use a great ileostomy pouch made by Dansac. It's a one piece. Very lightweight, no bulge. No seals, no nothing, just a little Stomahesive paste around the stoma. Good luck!

Bumba

I have a continent ostomy and have had pouchoscopy by the gastroenterologist. Not considered a surgical procedure, I don't think.

hometown

Hi all, I also had a colonoscopy done through the stoma and yes, you just lay on your back instead of your side. I did not have any problem and was so glad as I know I will have to have another one next year. Good luck and don't worry, Joyce.

rvhumbug

I've had a "double ender" every year - that's what I call an endoscopy (via the mouth) and an "Ileoscopy" (a flex scoping via the stoma) done by my GI doc. This has been going on since 2004 when I was having problems (bleeding) and there didn't seem to be a cause.

He found the cause and fixed it (spleenectomy) and does the scoping every year now to make sure there are no further problems. It's done with a light general anesthetic so I'm out when it's done. I wake up and don't remember a thing.

strongandbroken
I have an ileostomy (going on 19 years now) and I''ve finally decided to investigate a reversal. At first I went to my gastro to do the basics (blood tests, stool samples etc...) and then did an endoscopy, ileoscopy (or stoma scope as you called it) and a colonoscopy (i'm still connected down there).

After all of that the report back was positive. This information went to my surgeon (who did my surgery in '93) to discuss the possibility of a reversal. After our conversation it was agreed it would be reasonable to move ahead with the reversal. But that simply means he wants to put me through the same scopes all over again. The idea is to have a base line of information to see if surgery is likely to end up with a positive outcome.

I would suggest the same process when it comes to your situation. Either the surgeon or the gastro can do the procedure but both do them for different reasons. If your gastro can't help you and if the only option is surgery then your surgeon will want to perform the process themselves.

As for the paste I used to have the same issues with paste. I use adapt paste and used to put it right on my skin at the base of the stoma. What I found works for me is to use a skin barrier (hollister product) first and let it dry a little before I put the appliance back on.

Then while it's drying prepare the bag. I apply the past around the opening ( I use convex pre cut one piece bags). I then dampen my finger with the moist wipes ( I use kleenex wipes with aloe and e) and spread the paste smoothly around the opening. Then I apply the bag after a quick check of the skin to make sure it's dry. I find the wipes get the paste off my finger easily. I also use them to do the initial clean up when I remove an old bag.

One thing I would ask is how often you change the bag? If you're having that much trouble getting paste off you're either using too much paste or not leaving the bag on long enough. I get 5-7 days out of each bag and I shower daily. I never have trouble with paste.

Hope this helps.

Michael
Bunkie

Thanks guys. You are always so helpful. People that do not have the conditions we have just do not understand what we go through every day. I have been going through one nightmare after another. So many painful blockages too. I lost over 60 lbs since this surgery as just about everything I eat gives me a blockage no matter how soft or liquid. I am so sick of this. I would rather not eat at all. I just don't think I can take another surgery. My friends are sick of it, my family is sick of it, and now just in time for the holidays, I am sick of it. My daughter, who lives 5 hrs away from me, has had my little pug as I am in so much pain I can't even take care of him. I live alone, so he is all I have. I feel like I have lost everything. 3 yrs since I lost my colon, one year since this ileo. If this doesn't resolve soon, I will probably die, then everyone including myself will finally have peace and I will be out of pain. Sometimes fluid doesn't even pass. I look like an old lady from so much weight loss. I have been to so many doctors with no answers. I am sure this is scar tissue again, but I just can't have another surgery because I am running out of help and money. When is it enough? I have had it. The last time I was even robbed in the hospital. I am it. There is no one here to care for my pets or me anymore. They are sick of it and so am I. I hope all of you have a good holiday. I can see already where I will be, probably in the hospital. I seem to miss anything that means anything to me. I am so tired. I just do nothing but sit home alone and suffer. The only way I will go to the OR this time is if I am passed out.

PamSue

I have a continent (Koch Pouch) ileostomy and have had a few scopes done by my GI physician with a child-size scope; no tranquilizer required. Pretty undramatic.