Need advice for flange not sticking to old stoma site

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses advice and solutions for dealing with a flange that is not sticking to an old stoma site.
DJK1983

I had a temporary ileostomy in 2001. A year ago, I received a permanent ileostomy. The new stoma site is about two inches above my old stoma. There is a dent/pucker where my old stoma was, and so my flange doesn't want to stick. It stays fine, and my skin is good everywhere except that spot. In that area, it is constantly irritated and red. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Xerxes

I am not sure of the kind of flange that you use. If you use the Convatec two-piece system, I think the flange should be small enough to avoid the 'pucker' as you put it. On the other hand, I can see if you use the Hollister flange that this might cause you trouble.

X_
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
DJK1983

Thank you! I use Coloplast, as Convatec and Hollister irritated my skin. That is true, there isn't a need for a large flange, huh? I'm only 5', and my stoma is pretty small. I wonder if I could use a children's type bag/flange? Hmmmm...

Xerxes

Maybe you should call Convatec directly. They have always proved helpful to me.

X_

mooza

I use Coloplast Sensura range 15537 shallow base plate. I love it. Also, but not right now in Australia, there is a new pouch from Coloplast called Coloplast MIO. It's more like stretched material on the flange. We had a feel of a colostomy pouch at our office today. AMAZING! But I can't get the drainable as yet, but I will be getting some asap or when they make drainable in a shallow convex. We were shown that it can stick on your hand. It's so stretchable and she also peeled it and moved it onto another part of her hand to show it can stick and be redirected. AMAZING! Can't wait. Fingers crossed they make ones for ileos. But see if you can check out the MIO pouch online, Coloplast, just for your interest. We have free ostomy magazines with all amazing new pouches to help. Good luck matey! SENSURA moves with the skin. I haven't had a leak in yonks. LOL. Cheers, mooza. OZ.x Also, Pelican-Omnigon maybe! I just got a sample. I like my CT Sensura better though. Cheers xx. Also, those Eackin or Vernagel gel satchels (spell check) work well with soaking up the water waste stuff! Good luck darlz...

P.S. I have my old stoma site but had problems. Wonder why they didn't use the other side of your abdomen. I'm a shorty person too. The shallow base plate pushes the stoma out. Best thing I ever found, but one piece for me. No dramas. I don't leave it on longer than 2 days though.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Rabbit

Consider using the pastes. These help fill in these types of gaps. I personally prefer the sticks that, like Play-Doh, I pull off a piece and shape to fit the indented area, then stick it to the skin. The material is very similar to the material of the flange. The flange goes right over it. I tend to leak under the flange because of a recessed area, and this helps shore it up and flanges last longer.

Good luck!
krisrox

I am only 5'3 myself.......so when I had my permanent ileostomy surgery, I was mortified over the size of the appliances; as this is a case where one size most certainly does not fit all, lol. Needless to say, since most of the kids are taller than me, it seemed a child's appliance was going to be the best fit for me. I have used the Hollister 3796 "Pouchkins" ever since (they even come with fun stickers, haha)!!! Hope this helps....Cheers!!!

Just me

My stoma was placed high and close to my belly button because of prior surgery in the area. I have a 5-inch scar next to mine that puckers in. I would suggest taking a piece of stomahesive strip and fill the void. It's sticky on both sides, and it's pliable. Also, I find that washing my stoma area with toothpaste really preps the skin well for good bonding. Heat the adhesive with a hairdryer before applying. Super stick! Oftentimes adhesives build up and you don't even realize it until you use the toothpaste, then it starts to roll off. Feels good too. Very soothing. Good luck, hon. I have had my ileostomy for 13 years now. Learned a few tricks along the way.