Itchy in non-stoma areas (mostly on arms and legs)

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Lalu

Hi. Don't know if this is an ostomy-related question; that's what I want to find out. A lot of us have had issues with itching around the stoma due to allergic reactions to products or when leaks begin. I've had my ostomy for 2 1/2 years. Over the last year or more, I get terribly itchy all over, mostly on my arms and legs. Sometimes I get a horrendous rash that may last for only a few minutes or hours. It seems to come and go out of nowhere. This doesn't seem to be related to my stoma, but shortly after my surgery I started losing my hair and later learned that other bag people had the same thing happen. It never would have occurred to me on my own that hair loss could be ostomy-related. So now I'm wondering if body itching could also be related. Even though the rash may last a short time or there may not even be a rash at all, the itching gets so bad that I often scratch until I bleed and have scabs all over my arms, legs, and back. Have I put a lovely picture in your head with that last comment? I take Benadryl, but by the time it takes effect, I've already scratched the crap out of myself (no pun intended). Sometimes Benadryl cream helps; sometimes not. A dermatologist had me try salt, alcohol, and water in a spray that I discovered all his patients use. Doesn't help. Anyone else have itching in non-ostomy related areas? Like hair loss, could the ostomy have anything to do with it? Lastly, any suggestions? I wasn't happy becoming a bag lady. Don't want to be a scab lady too.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hello, yes I've had both issues, huni, and they are very frustrating. Are you taking any pain relief that is morphine-based? I found that made me itch like crazy. And for the hair loss, mine was falling out in clumps. I started taking Perfectol, a hair supplement, and found that really helped.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

G x.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

In my experience, any anesthesia is followed by hair loss. Mine comes back.

The itching you describe is similar for me. For me also, the topical applications sometimes help. I might attribute it to weather - dry. We have hot and dry and cold and dry.

For symptom relief, I frequently use a sunburn gel with lidocaine, 'Hawaiian Tropic.' Lidocaine deadens the skin surface. I can't tell if it is related to the stoma issues or not. The skin around my stoma itches, as does all my belly.

Other things that help me include cider vinegar, witch hazel, and creams.

I don't get along well with morphine.

Past Member

I'm coming up on four months since my ostomy surgery and ever since I got off Prednisone, I have had itchy areas. Mostly my legs and back... it's weird as there aren't any visible rashes.

Past Member

I too have itchy skin on my wrist. My hair is not falling out but thinning. I'm not sure why I'm getting this. I have tried lots of creams to stop itching with not much luck. I am having a lot of stress around me too, so maybe that's my cause. Ambies.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

I've had the same thing - no hair falling out and no rash, but I get really itchy sometimes all over my body. But it seems to be more on my legs and back. It's weird because it comes from nowhere and lasts sometimes just a couple of seconds and other times just won't go away.

StarUK

I'm assuming you have had your blood checked. Sometimes, potassium levels can cause itching.
I think a lot of our problems are related to our abilities to absorb stuff. Anyway, just a thought.
Trish xx

Earl Vandervord

I have a lot of allergies. Many medicines cause itching. Also, some food will cause itching; if I eat too many oranges, for example, my skin begins itching (allergic). I find aloe vera cream used on a daily basis, or Absorbase (prescribed cream) is helpful. Desonide ointment is also good for some types of itching.

Hopes this helps

Earl

Lalu

I haven't been around for a while, but would like to thank you all for the suggestions.

Considering how many other people have the exact same types of itches, with and without rashes, I can't believe it's not somehow related to the ostomy.

StarUK, did you mean potassium may be high or low? My blood tests were good, but I often have to eat a fruit with high potassium, like an orange or banana, as they help when I periodically get hand, foot and leg cramps. That's something to think about. Maybe with my next itch, I'll try it. It would be nice to be able to deal with an issue using fruit.

In the meantime, I'll just make a list of all the suggestions and give them a shot one at a time. Thanks again.

Ever feel like you spend too much time chasing symptoms?

MarkP

I get severe itchy legs also and my doc said to use a cortisol cream. It helps a little but the itch comes back. My bloods are okay, only a slight raise in protein.