Positioning of Bag

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Cenedra
Hi there

Great site! I have only had my stoma for 2 weeks. I am getting used to it but find that my bag comes quite low down about half way into my underwear. It therefore gives the appearance rather of a rather unsightly "bulge", which is not particularly attractive as I am a girl.

Any suggestions of how I can change the angle/stop the bulge/hide it?

Thanks

CeNedra
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi Cenedra!
I just read your post. I too am 26 years old and I got my ileostomy in January this year. I like quite fitted clothing and I'm sure you do too. For the first few weeks, I lived in trackie bottoms and loose t-shirts until my wound healed. After about 6 weeks, you will find that you will be back in jeans, etc. I'm not sure, other than wearing baggy clothes, how you can disguise it, but I have looked around and found that babydoll tops and the t-shirts that are in fashion at the moment, you know, the scrunchy type ones? Also, if you're going on a night out, the puffball dresses or skirts are great for disguising and still very pretty.
Wait around 10-20 minutes after you have food, then you can empty your bag and it will lie flat against you. You can then have more options for tighter clothing, and possibly with jeans, just getting ones that sit on your hips, you can then fold your bag upwards and secure it with a bit of tape. Honestly, no one ever even notices these things. If you ever get caught short and need to find a bathroom and your pouch is bulging, then remove your cardigan/jacket and tie it around your waist. That is a good way to disguise until you reach a restroom.
Best of luck in your recovery, and if you need someone to talk to, don't hesitate. I'll PM you my email xxxxx.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Oh, and another thing, if you're not one for carrying a handbag around, then get one - a largish one. You can adjust the straps so it sits nicely beside your hip. And I have found that when my ileostomy bag bulges, then I can just swing my handbag around a little to disguise the bulge. LOL. You will also need it to carry extra ostomy supplies. In that case, a pencil case is great. So, if your bag is to tip when you're in public for any reason, then no one is any the wiser. xx

cancerfree

I don't mean to be a downer but be careful with the tight clothes, ladies. These bags have been known to blow right off when full of gas. It's amazing how much of it we actually produce every day. I don't know about you, but sometimes it's good for two or three hours after I empty it, and there have been too many times when I have had to empty 20 or 30 minutes later. The tight clothes would greatly restrict the bags' expansion abilities, and you could end up in a real pickle. I don't think any of us like the looser clothing, but unfortunately for a lot of us baggers, it goes with the territory.

Cenedra

Thanks so much for the tips so far. I am still getting used to the different types of bags and today I wore a summer dress and could not even tell I was wearing a bag. I have noticed though that my bag is full of gas when I wake up in the morning and have had to open the bag in the middle of the night. Is this normal?

Loved the idea about the jumper/cardigan around the waist when it puffs up when out. Great idea!

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
cancerfree

Awesome on the summer dress! Cenedra!!! I am so happy for you. !! Actually, you are lucky if you only have to "burp" your bag once during the night. Some medications (and foods) make it much worse. I was off and on antibiotics for five months after my rupture four years ago, and there were a LOT of nights where between 10 p.m. and around 2 a.m., I had to burp it every 20 or 30 minutes; had a lot of almost sleepless nights back in those days, and thank goodness it settled down. Still usually have to two or three times and have to empty a couple of times a night. Yes, having gas during the night is not unusual. Our bodies produce a lot of it, and when we don't have that five feet of colon to contain it is when we unfortunately find out how full of hot air we actually are.
I have an ileostomy, but I have heard that individuals with colostomies have more gas, hard to believe that is possible, but that is what I have heard.
Sandi

bearcat

I have been pondering this situation: why do I have a bag full of gas when I wake up, yet during the day I have very little... Does anyone have a theory on this?

Celeste

Have found the reason why I wake up in the mornings with a bag full of air... sometimes a lot and other times just poo.....
I like to use a straw... we all know that with a straw it can make you build up gases.... even if you don't have a bag.
Snoring is a big deal too.....
I've had my ileostomy for 6 years now, hard to believe I've come so far learning. I'm one of those that goes to bed late and gets up early... So I have no emptying in the middle of the night.... I sleep very hard.... there have been times that I woke up at 5 or 6 and didn't think I was going to be able to walk with that bag blown up like it was..... Back when I first got the thing I would opt to just let the air out while I was laying in bed... learned the hard way not to do that.... a no-no.... sometimes would just make a big mess....
Celeste

Earl Vandervord

I don't know if this would work with your type of appliance, but mine is held on with an elastic belt and I mount my bag to the side and the end just tucks under the belt. I am a male and this lets me wear pants with a belt, and the bag remains totally above the waistline. i.e. instead of vertical, I wear it horizontally.

I don't know if this would be useful for a woman, but it keeps the gas from plumping out your waistline.

Regards,
Earl Vandervord

FrexyGirl

So if you keep your bag horizontally (did I spell that?) how do you empty it? And ladies, how do you wear tight-fitting jeans that look good? And hide the bag?