Seeking advice on rectovaginal fistula repair with colostomy reversal

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Highlander15

Hello Tina. Yes, I had an attempted repair in Cleveland Clinic Florida, which did not take. I then went to New York, Langone Center, but they did not want the job. I am living with it at the moment. Hoping science will move forward. My case is complicated by radiation damage. How are you doing yourself? - Meg

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi Meg-

The fistula is difficult to live with some days. Mine is due to surgery for diverticulitis and tumor removal. No chemo or radiation. I have a hard time balancing my diet and digestion. They say the fistula can cause this. I sent my records to the surgeon that wrote Atlas of the Pelvic Floor. She feels Cleveland is where I should go. My current colorectal surgeon wants to place a stoma, then repair it with synthetics. I am concerned about the outcome with synthetics. I am also emailing with a urogyn surgeon at Mt. Sinai.
Please take good care, Meg. And stay in touch. I was hoping to see Rach.

Teena
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
orthogroup19

Hello! I too have had several attempts of repair for a RV fistula and now have an ileostomy. Thinking of getting a second opinion. I live about 2 hours south of St. Louis and had the attempted repairs done in St. Louis. I was wondering what the name of your doctor who repaired your fistula? Thank you!

KADC2012

Hi everyone. I am looking at having this surgery, with the gracilis muscle, to correct my rectovaginal fistula. I am having the hardest time finding any information from people who have had the surgery. Could any of you please share your experience? I know this thread is old, but I am desperate for more information. I am just sick to my stomach about all of this. Before this, I was a perfectly healthy 28-year-old woman. I have one baby, and desperately want to have more, but obviously cannot right now.

I just 3 weeks ago had a failed anal flap repair (My first surgery to try and repair), and now my surgeon here in Alabama wants to do the Gracilis Flap repair with an Ostomy. I am waiting on getting my medical records so I can send them to the Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic for second opinions. For those who have had the surgery, do you mind giving me more information, such as

- Was it successful?
- What did recovery look like?

- Are you now able to be intimate with your significant other, and if so, how long after? My husband has been WONDERFUL in dealing with all of this, but I just want to know when we would be able to again?

- Has anyone gone on to have more children?

- Did you have your ostomy reversed?

Thank you so much in advance!