Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

Cleaning Adhesive Glue from Bath/Shower

Posted by charlie, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:27 pm
I would like to know if anyone has tips on how to clean the adhesive that remains behind on bath and shower walls.  I find regular cleaning still leaves behind a lot of adhesive and I really want to get this removed.
Reply by Ironmike, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:43 pm
WD 40?

Sounds like you are removing the appliance in the bath or shower.

Have you tried using the barrier removal wipes and removing the appliance before you get in the shower? If not, I would personally recommend doing so. Use the wipes to clean the paste residue off the skin, then clean the stoma area with saline solution on a piece of gauze and coat the area with bacterial soap. Then get into the shower.
Reply by charlie, on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:18 pm
Like your humour IronMike.  I did find that WD40 will remove adhesive, however I am not going to attemp this as I don't want to break my neck in the shower.  I do remove my appliance before I get in the shower but do not treat before getting in, can you let me know what barrier wipes you use as I don't use this at all, I use baby soap.  I have had my ileostomy for 38 years and still have a lot to learn.  Thanks for your suggestion.
Reply by tess45, on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:14 am
not sure how you are getting it on the walls but just use a product called "Remove" it is a adhesive removal wipe - the type that I use is from S&N - Smith and Nephew. I am use that where ever you get your supplies from will have their own brand or a generic that you can get. I use it on my bathroom counters where I happen to drip spray adhesive and it works like a charm.
Reply by Ironmike, on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:37 pm
A little tongue in cheek about the WD40 although I believe it would work. Also would think a 1/10 vinegar/water solution like Grandma always used on the windows would get the walls squeaky clean.

I use PDI adhesive removers and have used REMOVE by S&N. PDI is just a cheaper version of REMOVE which all of a sudden I received from my supplier - Walgreens. It's just an isopropyl alcohol/petroleum base. It's good for removing the barrier and paste residue so, as Tess suggests, you could road-test it on the shower walls.

I have heard of the baby oil method also but never used it. I'm sure you would agreed that any method that removes the barrier painlessly is a good method. You have 4x the experience that I do, Charlie, so I'm sure you have more good suggestions than I do for newer ostomates.
Reply by mingirl, on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:30 pm
Have you tried eucalyptus oil?  I use it and it works a treat.
Reply by Ironmike, on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:01 pm
No. I never have any trouble removing my barrier so I have never sought an alternative.

Sounds soooooothing!
Reply by mingirl, on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:51 am
Oops, not sure if that was at my suggestion, but if so..... I meant eucalyptus oil for the adhesive remains on the shower base!!
Reply by budd002, on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:01 pm
I use the Remove wipes by Smith & Nephew...

http://global.smith-nephew.com/us/REMOVE_ADHESIVE_REMOVER_8342.htm

I find they really clean the adhesive off quite well. I also use them to get the glue off from the tape after blood work or an IV. Cleans ya right up.
JRP
Reply by JRP, on Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:47 pm
A PRODUCT CALLED DON ASLETT'S BATHROOM CLEANER AVAILABLE ON QVC  REMOVES THE ADHESIVE, JUST FOLLOW DIRECTIONS AND IT WILL DO THE TRICL!
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:45 am
I have never had any adhesive adhering to the bath or shower, ever.........what is going on there?
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:56 am

budd002 wrote:
I use the Remove wipes by Smith & Nephew...

http://global.smith-nephew.com/us/REMOVE_ADHESIVE_REMOVER_8342.htm

I find they really clean the adhesive off quite well. I also use them to get the glue off from the tape after blood work or an IV. Cleans ya right up.
I have used the S & N adhesive remover.  It's the same thing as Goof-Off and Goop Remover that is less expensive and available at the Wal-stores.... Just make sure that you use some cleanser afterwards to keep it from being to slippery
Reply by moonshine, on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 am
I use Hollister #7760-universal remover wipe-works great for me. comes in individual packets
Reply by Anoniem18, on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:07 pm
"Lift-Off" you can buy it at the Dollar store, it is specifically designed to remove labels glue etc. works fine.
Reply by moonshine, on Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:18 pm

i try to roll mine in a ball, sit it on the ledge of my tub/shower and throw it away when i get out. i do however have to rod out (my maintenance guy) my tub drain more often then b4 bag

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.