Tips for Removing Stubborn Adhesive from Bath/Shower

Replies
Views
charlie

I would like to know if anyone has tips on how to clean the adhesive that remains behind on bath and shower walls. I find regular cleaning still leaves behind a lot of adhesive and I really want to get this removed.

Ironmike

WD-40?

Sounds like you are removing the appliance in the bath or shower.

Have you tried using the barrier removal wipes and removing the appliance before you get in the shower? If not, I would personally recommend doing so. Use the wipes to clean the paste residue off the skin, then clean the stoma area with saline solution on a piece of gauze and coat the area with antibacterial soap. Then get into the shower.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,423 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

charlie

Like your humor, IronMike. I did find that WD-40 will remove adhesive; however, I am not going to attempt this as I don't want to break my neck in the shower. I do remove my appliance before I get in the shower but do not treat before getting in. Can you let me know what barrier wipes you use as I don't use this at all? I use baby soap. I have had my ileostomy for 38 years and still have a lot to learn. Thanks for your suggestion.

tess45

Not sure how you are getting it on the walls but just use a product called "Remove". It is an adhesive removal wipe - the type that I use is from S N - Smith and Nephew. I am sure that wherever you get your supplies from will have their own brand or a generic that you can get. I use it on my bathroom counters where I happen to drip spray adhesive and it works like a charm.

Ironmike

A little tongue in cheek about the WD-40 although I believe it would work. Also, I would think a 1/10 vinegar/water solution like Grandma always used on the windows would get the walls squeaky clean.

I use PDI adhesive removers and have used REMOVE by S.N. PDI is just a cheaper version of REMOVE which all of a sudden I received from my supplier - Walgreens. It's just an isopropyl alcohol/petroleum base. It's good for removing the barrier and paste residue so, as Tess suggests, you could road-test it on the shower walls.

I have heard of the baby oil method also but never used it. I'm sure you would agree that any method that removes the barrier painlessly is a good method. You have 4x the experience that I do, Charlie, so I'm sure you have more good suggestions than I do for newer ostomates.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
mingirl

Have you tried eucalyptus oil? I use it and it works a treat.

Ironmike

No. I never have any trouble removing my barrier, so I have never sought an alternative.

Sounds soothing!

mingirl

Oops, not sure if that was at my suggestion, but if so... I meant eucalyptus oil for the adhesive remains on the shower base!!

budd002

I use the Remove wipes by Smith & Nephew...

http://global.smith-nephew.com/us/REMOVE_ADHESIVE_REMOVER_8342.htm

I find they really clean the adhesive off quite well. I also use them to get the glue off from the tape after blood work or an IV. Cleans you right up.

JRP

A product called Don Aslett's Bathroom Cleaner available on QVC removes the adhesive, just follow directions and it will do the trick!

Past Member

I have never had any adhesive adhering to the bath or shower, ever... what is going on there?

Past Member

I have used the S&N adhesive remover.  It's the same thing as Goof-Off and Goop Remover that is less expensive and available at the Wal-stores.... Just make sure that you use some cleanser afterwards to keep it from being too slippery.

moonshine

I use Hollister #7760-Universal Remover Wipe-works great for me. Comes in individual packets.

Anoniem18

"Lift-Off" you can buy it at the Dollar Store, it is specifically designed to remove labels, glue, etc. Works fine.

moonshine

I try to roll mine in a ball, sit it on the ledge of my tub/shower, and throw it away when I get out. I do, however, have to rod out (my maintenance guy) my tub drain more often than before the bag.

latke

Not had a lot of luck with bag deodorants. Serendipity, I read that peppermint oil capsules may help with intestinal discomfort. So, I went to a health store and purchased Solaray peppermint capsules that also contain quercetin, thyme, and rosemary. Now it comes out smelling like peppermint ice cream, which I find a little disconcerting but a lot more pleasant. Sixty capsules for almost seventeen dollars is a little high for me, and I plan to look for a less expensive brand or store. The problem is it only works for one or two emptyings, and I have to empty several times a day. If there is a naturopath out there who knows if it is safe to take more than one, please comment. Each capsule contains 250 mg peppermint, 100 mg quercetin, 50 mg rosemary, and 50 mg thyme. I take multiple medications and have had no problem so far, but as they all say, check with your doctor.

moonshine

I have found that drinking Peach Mango V8 Fusion helps, as does sparkling peach water. I buy 'Jewel Grocery' brand....in the Chicago area.