Is it a good idea?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Monsieur Le President

Would it be a good idea for two people with a predisposition to serious bowel problems to marry and have children?
Does a site such as this, which puts together people with perhaps a single thing in common, make those people focus on that common thing, instead of looking outwards?
Should people act on advice from people who are not medically trained?
Will the Lions win in South Africa?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Hi, I'm not sure if it's a good idea for two people who have the same disposition to get together, marry, and have kids, but it's just as good a place as any. You have your Match.coms and Meetics, all designed for pairing up singles, but not very often does anyone add on their profiles that they have an ailment... alcoholism, diabetes, recreational drug habit, smelly feet, whatever. At least on this site, we have a heads up on the main focus that separates us from others.

The few conversations I've had on this site have only dipped into the area of the colon because there really is so much more to a person. To some, it is the main focus of their being, but to others, it is just a very small part in the big picture. I would hate the idea of being with someone and getting married simply because they have the same ailment as me. I really only think a very insecure person must think that way and are then settling for second best.

I find the site not only offers the dating/friendship side of things, but the advice is second to none, as no one knows better than the person suffering themselves, and no higher education, books, or medical degree can compete with that.

I take it you have met the love of your life already, while the rest of us poor lonely souls continue the search. Lol... Sarahxx
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Interesting thoughts reg, although this site is a "dating" site I believe a large number of members just come here for friendship or as the French say "esprit de corps". It's certainly encouraging to know others overcome this "life with the bag" thing and carry on as normal folks. I have developed some wonderful friends here but alas....all have declined to birth my children as of yet!!!

Katy

It's a really good start! It's not like it will breed more ostomates! When you're feeling rough and it seems you are the only person in the world who knows what an ileostomy is, let alone that "no" it isn't "fastened to my leg" and "yes, I had to stay more than overnight in the hospital to get it installed," it can be a real comfort. Your tips, ideas, and words of wisdom are the nearest I have come to proof that there are other people in this world with a Klingon like mine. Thank you. Didn't appreciate the dating element until I'd pressed the register button. Why not?

Snowwhite

Well, look at the bright side.....if your appliance leaks while "having fun", your partner would REALLY understand!! Try to look at the good in every situation.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

I asked my gastroenterologist if I should even consider having kids with Crohn's (my wife doesn't have it), and he said most people that pass on heart disease or diabetes don't think twice, why should you?

weewee

I would have to say yes when younger kids weren't on the top of the thinking list, but naked time was always there and what was for snacks and what will be the next surprise. What fun you got out of the chase and catch. Now, why should that change from who we are today from back then? Hmmm.
Well, time to run.
Talk to you soon.