Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,168 members

Is It A Good Idea ?

Posted by Monsieur Le President, on Wed May 27, 2009 1:00 pm
Would it be a good idea for two people with a predisposition to serious bowel problems to marry & have children ?
Does a site such as this, which puts together people with perhaps a single thing in common, make those people focus on that common thing, instead of looking outwards ?
Should people act on advice from people who are not medically trained ?
Will the Lions win in South Africa ?

Reply by Past Member, on Wed May 27, 2009 2:30 pm
hi,im not sure if its a good idea for two people who have the same disposition to get together marry and have kids,but its just as good as place as any.You have your match dot coms and meetics all designed for pairing up the singles but not very often does any one add on their profiles that they have an ailment..alcoholism,diabetes,recreational drug habit,smelly feet whatever,at least on this site we have a heads up on  the main focus that seperates us from others.

the few conversations iv had on this site have only dipped into the area of the colon,because there really is so much more to a person and to some it is the main focus of their being but to others it is just a very small part in the big picture,i would hate the idea of being with someone and getting married simply because they have the same ailment as me,i really only think a very insecure person must think that way and are then settling for 2nd best.

i find the site not only offers the dating/friendship side of things but the advice is second to none as no one knows better than the person suffering themselves and no higher education,books or medical degree can compete with that.

i take it you have met the love of your life already,whilst the rest of us poor lonley souls continue the search lol.....sarahxx

Reply by Past Member, on Thu May 28, 2009 9:11 am
interesting thoughts reg, although this site is a "dating" sight i belive a large number of members just come here for frendship or as the french say "espirit de corps". its certianly encouraging to know others overcome this "life with the bag" thing and carry on as normal folks. i have developed some wonderful friends here but alas....all have declined to birth my children as of yet!!!

Reply by Katy, on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:50 am
It's a really good start! It's not like it will breed more ostomates! When you're feeling rough and it seems you are the only person in the world who knows what an ileostomy is let alone that "no" it isn't "fastened to my leg" and "yes I had to stay more than overnight in hospital to get it installed" it can be a real comfort. Your tips, ideas and words of wisdom are the nearest I have come to proof that there are other people in this world with a klingon like mine. Thank you. Didn't appreciate the dating element until I'd pressed the register button. Why not?

Reply by Snowwhite, on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:28 pm
Well, look at the bright side.....if your appliance leaks while "having fun", your partner would REALLY understand!! Try to look at the good in every situation.

Reply by polecat85, on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:53 pm
I asked my Gastro if I should even consider having kids with Crohn's (my wife doesn"t have it) and he said most people that pass on heart disease or diabetes don't think twice, why should you?

Reply by weewee, on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:48 am
i would have to say yes when younger kids werent on the top of the thinking list but naked time was always there and what was for snacks and what will be the next surprise what fun you got out of the chase and catch now why should that change from who we are today from back then humm
well time to run
talk to you soon
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.