Attitude is everything

In this discussion
Replies
Views
cancerfree

There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and noticed she had only three strands of hair on her head.

She said, "I think I'll braid my hair today."
So she did and she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had only two strands of hair on her head.
"H-M-M," she mused,
"I think I'll part my hair down the middle today."
So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she had only one strand of hair on her head.
"Well," she said, "today I'm going to wear my hair in a ponytail."
So she did and she had a fun-filled day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that there wasn't a single hair on her head.

"YEAH!" she exclaimed,
"I don't have to fix my hair today!"

Attitude is everything.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tarababy
Hi folks, as I am in the process of getting a support group going, I have been trying to find committee members - a task I didn't think would be so hard. Need honest, reliable, and most of all, I want people who are there because they want to be there, not because they feel obligated. Anyway, getting back on track. My best friend, who is the only friend who stuck around. Her name is Kerry - you will be hearing from her too. Having her support has been wonderful. With all those normal comments like "looking good today," "Ouch, that looks sore, feel for you," or "I understand." She has done some nursing, okay. Well, I put her to a challenge; to help her understand more and how to 'be in touch' with other Ostomates.
I wanted to paste a wafer/bag to her tummy - same place as mine - for 24 hours. She agreed.
So we put aside 24 hours for this little experiment. Because I can now laugh about this all (not much worries me anymore), let me tell you, this was a very funny and a serious 24 hours.
Pen and paper ready for our amazing thoughts and ideas and a box of tissues for the tears from all the laughing we did.
Once I knew it had sealed to her skin - I then poured 1/2 cup of water, adding small amounts throughout the day. Making the whole thing as real as possible. Let me say right now, if you have a mate or partner, go for it. We both learned a lot. Kerry more so, I think. So the experiment was 100% effective. And so much came from it.
Kerry will come on through my site here as a guest and tell her side of all this.
Love to hear if others have done anything like this? More than likely, but would love to hear others' stories, so come on, share!... Chow for now.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
tarababy
Hi Folks Kerry here, Tara's best friend.I did agree to do this experiment with her.What are friends for if not to be there for them through the good the bad and the ugly.Mind you,I didnt know Tara all that long before she got sick and ended up with the pouch.
I have nursed for awhile and have nursed people with pouches.
I have watched Tara go up and down in weight and attitude,never able to find a happy medium, until lately.When she decided to start a Support Group to help others going through this,(also nominating me as Secretary.)So to help me understand a little better-I helped out with the experiment.I have to say straight of the bat"I take my hat off to each and everyone of you!".After this,I'm not sure how I would cope if faced with this.So here it goes.
We started of with putting the paste on the wafer-attached the wafer to the side of my tummy,then placed the pouch on.In that first instant I was a little thrown back,it felt weird having something hanging off me.As the day progressed we added fluid to it,for the weight changes.And boy that felt even worse....(if the pouch was not tucked into my clothes,more to the point-my underwear-it was pulling.)I found I could not sit without having to move the pouch around to make sure it doesnt dig into me.I could not sit in positions that I could normally sit.I class myself as a strong person,but this made me feel rather vunerable.My skin underneath the wafer was itchy and irritable.So I can now understand a little more of what Tara was going through.I tried to wear the pouch on the outside of my underwear-the weight of it cant be good for any of it.And found it most annoying.Most of my clothes wouldnt fitand be comfy.
As for sleeping ,that was fun.Coulnt roll onto my side like normal,without something sticking into me.Then's theres the weight thing again,when I roll onto my back the pouch would fall to the side.Felt like it was leaking and at one stage thought the pouch had broken,but it was a false alarm.
Now I have done this, I do believe that a good attitude and the support of family and friends can get you through everything.I know what I have just describe is an all day/everyday thing for you all,and I take my hat off to you all.This is a look from another side.
And last of all------we had a ball that day.If nothing was really gained from this.....doesnt matter,we both laughed years off our age.Now we are both ....35 at least.So if anyone has done this.we would love to hear how it went..take care everyone.KERRY
Belinda

Just before my ileostomy op, my stoma nurse gave me a bag full of Weetabix mixed with water which she stuck to my tummy for a few days to get me used to the sensation. I think it really helped as I knew what to expect. It even leaked once, so was very lifelike!!! That was 3 years ago and Winnie (the poo) and I get on very well now though we still have the odd misunderstanding. Nice to know that people like you take the trouble to find out what life's like for us ostomates. Cheers, Belinda (England)