Travelling in Japan as an ostomate - Need advice!

Replies
Views
Gilean

This trip isn't happening for a while, but I'm curious if anyone has traveled in Japan (mostly Tokyo) and has some insight on how easy it would be as an ostomate there? My girlfriend would like to travel there to visit her host family, so we wouldn't be in any hotels or the like, but we would be traveling around the city for various reasons. I'm sure there are plenty of bathrooms, and it'll be wonderful to have someone who's fluent... but any real-time experience would help a ton.

Best wishes,
Gabe

bikerboy

Traveling in Japan is a ball, you shouldn't have any trouble. I travel there all the time with my ileostomy, and bathrooms or binjo are common. Just take enough supplies because they don't have them there. A Japanese person with an ostomy or any disfigurement is looked upon as damaged goods, but you won't have a problem. In my 30 years plus of traveling to Japan, I've never had a problem.
Enjoy your trip. I'll be there in Yokosuka in Mar 2012.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tiger
Konnichiwa!
As Bikerboy said, there are tons of bathrooms everywhere. Don't hesitate to ask people where the nearest toilet is. The Japanese are pretty crazy when it comes to bathrooms/toilets. I've even seen plans for ostomate-specific bathrooms, but not sure if they came to fruition.
I grew up in Japan, but not with a bag. I haven't been there with my bag yet, but I plan to go someday soon.
Keep in touch. I'd like to hear you and your girlfriends' experiences while there.
Ja-ne,
Dave
watsonvito

I have a permanent ileostomy and was in Japan for nearly 2 weeks last November and had no problems finding clean, easily accessible bathrooms with great Toto toilets. Obviously, take more than enough supplies and plan on having a great trip!

SPB

The only problem that I had during my visit was trying to ship medical supplies into the country. I tried mailing supplies to my host so that I didn't need to pack them in my suitcase. My shipment was stopped by customs.

The law states that you're allowed to carry 30 days' worth of supplies across the border for personal use.

I had no problem carrying supplies into Japan once I made it clear that these were personal supplies for an ongoing medical condition.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
nessie

Hi - there was a message on the UK Colostomy Association Facebook page recently saying that the Japanese disabled toilets are now ostomy friendly - additional sink, mirror, hanging hooks, etc - check out the Japanese Ostomy Association website for further information - happy travels!

SpaceCowgirl

I don't have any personal experience (yet) but have been planning a trip for years. I have an ostomy and just found these articles about special ostomy toilets in Japan which is just astounding to me as we have nothing like it in Canada!

https://roomsbooms.com/living-with-an-ostomy-in-japan/

https://www.normanet.ne.jp/yhamajoa/ostomy20Toilets.htm