Dealing with Foot Drop Recovery - Need Advice!

Replies
Views
lillibelle

Hi, after my 5 1/2 hour total colectomy, I discovered I have foot drop. I have been doing physical therapy and have been told by a few doctors that it could take anywhere from 6 months to a year for me to be able to lift or flex my foot and toes. This is messing up my plans for recovery. Does anyone have any experience with foot drop? Thanks!!

Xerxes

After my ileostomy, I had foot drop. There can be several reasons for foot drop, i.e., you can't dorsiflex your foot or toes. This is due to damage to the nerve that controls these actions. One cause can be bacterial infection that causes some demyelination and loss of nerve function. In another case, undue pressure for a prolonged period of time can affect nerve function; even prolonged exposure to cold can cause this. Were you on a hypothermia blanket during your operation? In my case, it did come back and yes, it took about six months to gain full recovery. I had to wear a specially made brace that slid into my shoe, which kept my foot straight and prevented me from tripping myself while walking. I have been normal ever since, and this is after almost 33 years. Good luck!

X_

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,371 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Dave_Canada

After my ileostomy, I had foot drop too. Like Xerxes, I too had to wear a brace that strapped to my leg and foot to prevent me from tripping. I still do not have all the feeling back in my left foot, and it has been 8 months since my surgery. They all say the only cure is time. It may take 6 months or it may take 16 months.
I was an emergency case of a perforated bowel and was very septic. I was kept under a hypothermia blanket for an extended period and was kept comatose for 10 days. I was in pressure stockings and tied to the railings as I became combative. They say, like Xerxes above, that all these things, combined with the drugs used to keep me in a coma, contributed to my paralysis.
I was released from the surgical unit after a few weeks and then spent another month as an inpatient at a rehab hospital.
On the bright side, it began with being paralyzed completely below both knees, all of my right arm, part of my left arm, and the inside of both thighs. It is not just mainly in my left foot and three fingers of my right hand. I had to learn to walk, hold a pen, and do many things from scratch.

It can be done.

Plenty of physio and time.

bag_n_drag

I, too, had foot drop in my left foot and also loss of feeling in my left arm, hand, and fingers. Most of the feeling in my left foot has returned....still sketchy with the left hand and fingers. It has been a year since my ileostomy surgery....I also had a perforated bowel in 3 places and became very septic. Lost my entire large intestine. Spent 6 weeks in the hospital; 2 weeks on a vent while there. I didn't wear a brace for the affected foot; just lots of PT alternating with rest. Makes me feel better knowing I am not the only one who experienced this weird aftermath! Best wishes for a speedy recovery, lillibelle! Darla

christiesdad

I'm not sure that I know what foot drop is, but I experienced a numbness in my feet after my colostomy. Not only that feeling or lack of feeling in my feet, but I had this weird sensation that went all the way up past my groin area to my chest. My groin area stung and then went numb, switching back and forth from one sensation to the other and back again. It has been three years now and has finally subsided somewhat. Is that what drop foot is? I still don't understand why the surgeon has to sever all those nerves going down your leg. I think that it is carelessness or just a don't care attitude. But it seems like everyone I have spoken with has that same numbness down their legs.
Just like prostate surgery, it does not have to cause impotence--just depends on the surgeon and his ability. Some just don't care, just rip and tear and get their money.

Dr. Welby would have a fit!!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Dave_Canada
Foot drop is basically exactly as the name suggests.

If you stood on one foot and lifted the other leg into the air, on most people the lower part of the leg that is in the air looks like the letter "L".
If you have foot drop, the lower part of that "L" (your foot) points towards the floor.
You lack the sensation and muscle control to keep it up, move it, or move your toes.

You will then have trouble maintaining balance when you stand still, and when you try to walk, or better yet, climb stairs, that dangling foot catches on everything and trips you.

In my case, I was fitted for a custom orthotic device that straps to my leg and extends under my foot. It keeps the foot from dangling, yet at the same time is equipped with a flexible but stiff joint that allows some movement. By doing this, the muscles in the area still have the chance to work a bit and fix themselves without letting things go too far and tripping you up.

At first, I used this orthotic and a walker. I graduated to the orthotic and a cane. I then went to a wrap-around ankle brace and a cane (I also managed to sprain the ankle) and now, just the ankle brace most days. I carry the cane just to make my physiotherapist feel better.

Hope that helps.
lyricalaska

Excellent post, Xerxes! I didn't have foot drop as I was out of bed just about as soon as was possible. However, it can occur for those reasons you stated! I had a few patients with this (I'm a R.N.) but not after ostomy surgery. I am so pleased you are now walking great!

christiesdad

Thanks for the info. I did not have that problem, thank God. Was foot drop caused by the surgery? i.e. the surgeon severing nerves during the procedure, or just a normal action following your particular procedure?

bag_n_drag

Dr. Welby. LOL I love it. So would Trapper John! I used to have the biggest crush on Gonzo Gates! Uh oh, I am dating myself!

Xerxes

If the nerve was severed, the foot drop would be permanent.

X_

Redondo

I had a total colectomy including appendix and a couple more back in the early 70's in Toronto, Canada. While I was in the hospital for a couple of months to recover, thankfully, I never experienced or heard of foot drop.
I guess I must have had a very good surgeon.

lillibelle
Hi, thank you all for your input. I am really hoping that the affected nerve is only compressed and not permanently damaged. I understand that a cause of foot drop can be behavioral, as in habitual leg crossing, and I have always had difficulty sitting without crossing my legs. I am now constantly stopping myself from doing so. My surgeon told me that my legs were in stirrups during surgery to prevent sustained pressure on the peroneal nerve, which is what causes foot drop. I'll continue with my physical therapy, though I still haven't seen any improvement. It's a bummer because I think I'm doing quite well otherwise and I want to get back to sports, dancing, etc. Right now, I'd be happy if I could walk normally. Thanks again for the info and support!!!

Lillibelle