Properly wearing an ostomy belt with a stoma: tips to avoid discomfort?

Replies
Views
sooziq

Okay, dumb question, how to wear the ostomy belt?? Even with a stoma or at your waist?? Even with a stoma and it squishes in hips, nice indentation with jeans on?
Thanks

tess45

Sooziq - There should be a place on the bag where you can clip the ends of the belt to - just let the belt follow that natural line from clips and wear it there - it works out about even or the middle of where the stoma is - hope that helps

Terry

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,358 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

sherrybear

HELLO sooziq, there are little holes on your wafer that is where the belt goes. But it around u clip one side then the other. There are nice sometimes. Hope this helped, I was like that the first time I tried to put one on. Good luck....

kbd

If you are talking about the little 1-inch belts, they end up pretty much following your waistline no matter what. The larger support belts in the 4-inch width size fit over your stoma so they will follow that line.
KBD

OspreyHP

I have a Phoenix ostomy support system. They can be found online and they cost about $56.00. Their tagline is "Reclaim Your Life" and they were right. It is a soft lycra belt which holds the ostomy pouch in a horizontal position in a pouch in the belt. It is comfortable and gives more freedom of movement. They can be used for either ostomy or ileostomy. There is another product from Ostomy Secrets that I want to try. They have the "Classic Wrap" for $29.99, the "Vixen Wrap", apparently for women since they are black with pink accents, for $39.99, and the "Swim Wrap" for $34.99.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member
Re Ostomy Secrets Wrap

I have tried all three types (Vixen, Swim, Classic). They don't work for me because the wrap shrugs itself up near my waist, won't stay down on my hips, and causes my urostomy to reflux. This was the case when I had two ostomies (yep - one pee, one poop). You would think two bags with hard flanges (I use exclusively ConvaTec's Classic two-piece system) would hold the wrap in place, but it did not.

Depending on what you're looking for, I'd suggest Ostomysecrets panties - also depending on where your stoma is placed, the "Allure" panty may or may not work as it comes quite low - right at the navel. This is attractive unless your wafer barrier comes above the plane of your belly button. I'm happiest with the Classic panty, which comes in cotton and microfiber. The microfiber doesn't give as much, so you might need one size up to be truly comfortable.

With regard to "ostomy belts," the only ones with which I'm familiar are the kind that clip onto the pouch (again, ConvaTec brand) or the type that look like a hernia belt. The latter has a hole through which the bag pulls.
Annabeth (real name Kate)
jakie

I guess it depends on where your stoma is located. Mine is quite high. I can put it on around my lower waist but occasionally it will ride up to my waist. I tighten it enough to be comfortable, then who cares if it shows under jeans. No different than panty lines showing. My problem is wearing jeans. My bag squishes out the top under them. I bought maternity jeans which help somewhat but still they fit differently and sometimes can be uncomfortable. The stretchy insert in maternity jeans fits too snugly on the pouch I feel. It causes the stool to be present from top of the pouch to the bottom.

OspreyHP

Hi Annabeth. I probably won't try the Ostomy Secret panties. I might try the boxers....what with being a guy and all. Thanks for the info on the wraps though. I can see how they would have a tendency to bunch up. The Phoenix belt has an opening and pocket with a flap that snaps over the pouch. The belt is about 4 1/2" wide and bunches some around the back and sides but the front seems stable. I've been using the Hollister two-piece with the snap-on pouches but they aren't as low profile as the Convatech Esteem two-piece. The Convatech is more comfortable but realistically the pouches can only be used once whereas Hollister can be used twice. My insurance won't pay for single use of the Convatech pouches. Maybe if the people behind the desks had to wear one, they would understand.

sooziq

Exactly! That is why I ask about it, never used one before now, 35 years with ileostomy, had some leaking after gallbladder removed and ET suggested belt for awhile? Output seems much more liquid after gallbladder out? No weight lost though!! Thanks for all the suggestions.

pussycat

Can somebody tell me why it is necessary to have an ostomy belt? Ileostomist for 8+ years.

sooziq

I have had an ileostomy for 35 years and never had a problem with leaks until I had my gallbladder removed. So the ET nurse I have seen for 35 years suggested it to stop leaks - so far so good? I do not like the belt and would not use it if not for the leakage. As soon as I get this new way to put the 2-piece appliance on that I have used for 35 years, it will be gone. I have used Marlen bags and Torbot faceplates with Eakin seal, Karaya, and Stomahesive SQ. Stop with the layers of Karaya and leaks are not happening, but I have to change it in 3 or 4 days before I could go 6 or 7 days. That is why I got the small ostomy belt to hook onto the faceplate, not the big things your bag goes into.

Robinsa

Hi, I also have a urostomy stoma located at waist level. Trousers rub on the area. I have found a waistband from Comfizz.com works very well. I think ladies would like this garment as it gives a nice line. They do a full length and a shorter one. Hope this helps. Ali

mooza

Have to say, I actually cut that plastic crap off. Never ever have or will wear a belt... Soz, not much info for ya, just like the ladies say, I guess. Just another pain in the arse as far as I'm concerned. I have never been told I have to wear one and hell, ain't gonna start now. HAHAHA, geesus I'm a smart arse. LOLOL, maybe I need a belt hahah... I wouldn't even bother wearing one unless you really need to. xxxxxxxxxxxx Cheers darlz, mooza xxx

tess45
Hey Mooza - great to see you're alive and kicking - I missed ya - hope things are good -
mooza

Heya Tessy, yeah, alive and kicking. More kicking at the moment... Few problems going on...

Been a bit on the moody side lately...xxxx Cheers, thanks for remembering me. Lol.

Past Member

Mooza - Lots of us miss you - not communicating so well myself just now. Soon....

tess45

Me too, Mooza - don't know if you read my blog "Why Does My Body Hate Me," but it is the latest installment in the continuing saga of surgery that I need. What's been happening with you? Miss ya, crazy girlie - hope things get better for you and us all.

socalileo
Hi Osprey,
As you are wearing your bags horizontally, can you please tell me if it's difficult to empty the bag? I'm thinking that to empty the bag I am basically going to have to fold the bag over itself (to make it somewhat vertical) which may be tricky and has the potential for accidents. I'm sure you have figured out the logistics. Any advice for me?

I'm not sure what kind of ostomy you have but I have an ileostomy and empty 6 to 8 times a day.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.