Seeking Advice: Finding Intimacy After Cancer

Replies
Views
chrswlhlm

Dear K.T.
Perhaps I'll call you Kate (a little more grown up than Katy) or maybe Kay, no that's so staid. Please let it be Kate. To me, you must be Kate.
After such an arduous day and barely a long nap, you poor thing. Are you allowed over-the-counter remedies? You seem to have taken a reflective mood. I'm glad the memories seem sweet. It's nice to know you've made a difference, and please know you still are.
As of late, I've taken to referring to problematic or difficult situations as challenging. I suppose it helps me cope a bit better. You know, make it a small game with myself. Well, I think I might need a new word for hard because I seem to have forgotten why they call it hard work. It's 'cause it's hard, Chris... ...oh yeah, right. Well, boy, I worked hard today and I'm whooped. I think I'll call it dynamic. Doesn't that sound better than hard? I'm going to give it a go. Wow, what a dynamic day I've had. Hey. That works.
I'm really so fortunate. It's great that I've got a job to be tired with. I might have forgotten that a bit as well. I know it'll take some time to get myself back into "work" shape. But boy! At times, I just have to take heart and I seem to rejoice. It's like I blinked and I'm back. I know that's not the case, of course. Things are quite different, I'm different. Not just physically but as old as I am, it's kinda nice to think I'm still growing. (And not just old.) Oh, I do go on, so sorry.
I hope your tomorrow finds you an easier path and dreams greet you happily tonight. Please do stay with me here. It's so nice to know you're here. Thank you, and quiet forehead kisses so you'll have sweet little girl dreams. Love, Chris

Past Member
You're so intuitive --
Yes, it's Kate. (And stick with that, please - I finally got a guy one time to start that for me when I shared "Kiss Me Kate" the Shakespeare inspired musical). Took me 30 years, 3 moves out of state to get away from the heavily inflected "KA-thy" of my mother's voice. You spelled the other nickname Katy, with a "y."
This is sweet, as my psychodynamic healer calls me Katy and I found he spells it as you did (saw the bill for the pittance he charges, bless his heart, though he may not even get that). No one ever called me Katy as a child; I longed for it, so for Norman to address me as such is a wonderful happy accident of our therapeutic healing relationship. Plus he's about the age my dad was when he shot himself (well, there you have it). Quite another Freudian coincidence.
He recently told me straight out that, no, not everyone on the planet thinks in such a multi-faceted way as I, finding connections and interests and being a jack-of-all-trades. I said "Norman, are you saying I'm a diamond? A little gemstone?" He made some noise in his throat (the dark-room version of scuffing his feet) but yes, that's what he meant. If it weren't for a strong understanding of transference/counter-transference, I think that analytic couch might be used for something else (ha ha, forgetting that my body is not capable of that any longer).
A woman replied to my fistula blog, saying it took her 12 years, 10 surgeries to resolve -- but then she referenced something that I took to be about doctors outside the US. I don't see any reason why my Miracle Mitch the surgeon can't resolve this on the first try. The thing that may help is that I'm going to beg Mitch to remove what's left of the vaginal canal (only 3-4" right now as it is and who needs that?). When the cervix is lost, the canal flops around in space and it looks like the tip is where it fell onto the sigmoid J.
Sleep?? What's that?
I know I have another rodent in the cupboard, though it avoided the trap.
At least my little doggie is coming back to herself. The fleas seem to have abated, the skin infection cleared, and after sleeping like a dead thing for a week, she's perking back up. She is 8 after all, so I can't expect puppy-level bouncing, but the fact that she insists on being in my lap most of the time is a wonderful sign.

I see my urologist today (it's 5:45 am Wed - like I said, what is sleep?) the same sweetheart who diagnosed the recurrence. We'll be discussing lithium-induced diabetes insipidus. NOT something to worry over. Either we add a drug (probably amlodipine - too tired to get it right) or I go to the shrink on Fri demanding a psychotropic change from lithium. Either way, I win, at least this time. Plus I get to see Mark, whom I've adopted as the Baby Brother I Deserve and Should Have Had.
He wanted to read the OR notes from the giant surgery, which is cool as they came to me and I learned a pantload, so he gets a copy and I get to keep mine.

I did have a pretty good nap today - dreamt I was stretched out in my chair, which is a posture that's comfortable but I've never napped in.
Regarding OTC, I can take anything I want. I'm educated and they all trust me. But not too much works in the face of this level of stress. Gonna ask Mark for a Xanax refill or something similar (Ambien gives me nightmares; maybe I'll ask to try Lunesta or something).
I also see Miracle Mitch on Mon, who can help with HRT regulation (menopause, especially surgically induced, is a common cause of insomnia; then add all this stress and, well...I'm a mess)

But of course, I'll stick with you - and if I had a digital camera, I'd show you the little changes I've been able to achieve around the house. In between music and medicine, I studied interior design. Would make neat photos to show before/after of just the window treatments and the bookcase that was disheveled (not by me) but that I fixed.
Should go lie down and at least be horizontal for awhile - under my lovely red drapes I finally found and hung above the bed.
Xo - K
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.