Hot tubs and pouches: Any advice?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
magpie
Looking for information about using hot tubs and the effects on the pouch? Just joined a gym and didn't know if I'd be able to sit in one due to the high temperature of water. The whole idea would be to relax but kind of hard if worrying about the bag falling off!! Anyone have any experience with this?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Magpie, I have never been in a hot tub in a gym, but I do tend to soak for some time in my bath, and have never encountered a problem of the bag coming off. If you have a good fitting bag and the adhesive is good and sticks well, then I don't see why you should have any problems in taking time out going in a hot tub. Even when I've soaked in hot water for a length of time, my bag has still stayed on till the next morning. Good luck and I would be interested in how you get on... tc ambies...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Wilski
Hi, I use a Convatec two-piece unit with a Nu-Hope ostomy belt. I swim and use the hot tub without any problems. I stay in the tub for 20-30 minutes. When I get out, I just leave the ostomy belt in place. If I have privacy, I use a hair dryer to dry off the wafer, but this is not necessary.

The only caution I suggest is changing the wafer more frequently than usual if you use the tub. This will avoid irritation around the stoma under the wafer from developing bacteria in the water.

I can't speak to other wafers and bags except Convatec. The belt is essential to feel secure. The wafer will stay on even without the belt, but I won't chance that.

Good luck.
A 6-year veteran.
Jay
maharajh

Hi, I've had an ileostomy and we have a hot tub... I've been going in it
for years and have never had a problem...
I also use Convatec without the belt...

Good luck!!!!!

Panor

I have a hot tub and a sauna and have been using both for years now without any problems at all. I use a two-piece Hollister system and use no belt when using either one.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Primeboy
Not a problem with Hollister's stick-to-itiveness either. Enjoy without fear. PB
Big H
I've been soaking in my outdoor hot tub for more than 20 years without an issue. I keep the temperature around 100 and soak for about 15 minutes, unless I'm on the phone then it's who knows how long.
For the past couple of years, I've gotten the extra security from a product called Sure Seal Rings. (Edgepark among others supplies them but for whatever stupid reason, they're not covered by insurance since my wear is longer and change less)
The seal is a thin piece of clear adhesive that goes around the flange. I use a 2-piece Convatec appliance but I'm sure it will fit any brand.
If I sound like a spokesperson for the product, it's because the seal has provided me with the extra security, with or without taking a soak, that other adhesives can't and I wind up with generally a 5-day wear.
Enjoy taking a tub.
Past Member

I offer my method for super-security in the water:

1. Waterproof tape "picture framing" the edges of the wafer barrier fabric
2. A belt made for your system (I use ConvaTec) and take an extra belt to be able to change into dryness
3. Something akin to Ostomysecrets wrap; not waterproof but keeps everything snugged close to the body.

Alternatively, being a girl, I wear a one-piece suit that hugs my tummy. I don't need a wrap that way.

magpie

Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice. Went to the gym and had a wonderful soak without the worry. It's nice to know that you can come to this site whenever you have a question that needs answering or a problem solved.

transmission man

Hello there, hot tubs are okay. I have one here at home and I'm in that thing every night. I find that the heat helps it stick better on your skin. The only thing I find is not to go in right after you just changed it. I hope that helps you.

MarkP

I have a spa at home and soak in it, and it has not caused any problems with the bag.

joeweld

F.Y.I
I super glue a web belt to the bottom of a #2 Rubbermaid bowl.
Roll the empty pouch up under it and set the belt in place around you.
No limit on the time in any water, hot or cold.
Works for me!
Joeweld

bagman

When I had my
ileostomy, my doctor told me to get rid of my hot tub. After I did and started missing it, I thought that I should have gotten an old skin diver's dry suit and modified it to cover my ileostomy. I think that would have kept everything dry and secure.

B4_R2D2

I have used a hot tub often, with only the extra protection of a Hollister ostomy belt. Oh, and I do change my pouch after five days of skiing and hot tub use, instead of my normal 7 to 10 days. Never had a problem of it coming off. Try it, with a little caution.

Good luck.... Enjoy your life.... Don't worry too much about what others might think.....

BONBAZ

May I ask what you use to keep your bag on for 7-10 days?
I'm lucky to get 2 days from mine before it starts to leak.

Primeboy

I warm up my flange with a hair dryer for about 20+ seconds before applying. I can be confident that it will hold for about 5 days. I am not interested in experimenting to find out if it will last longer. I don't need the grief. PB

BONBAZ

Thank you, Primeboy.
Do you use a one or two-piece?
And do you use paste or any kind of glue?
Sorry for all the questions.

Past Member

Beautiful! If you are fond of contemporary products, I'd advise checking the following link: www.archiexpo.com/architecture-design-manufacturer/hot-tub-845.html. Hope you enjoy it!

Jennylynn
Reply to Panor

I'm new to this site and have questions about swimming. I have the Hollister 2 piece since Oct 22. I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and worry about the pouch leaking while in the pool. I ordered a cover bag online which I use in the shower, but it only keeps the pouch dry, not the rim, and I'm afraid it will show in my suit. I really worry about leakage since I have had a few blowouts. I'm still not comfortable leaving my house, but I'm trying.