Small Holes Forming on Bag - Any Solutions?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
magpie
Hi, I was wondering if any of you out there experience small pinholes or cracking that forms on bags and causes small leaks to form? This has happened to me many times and there seems to be no real pattern. Most of the time, I don't have to change the bag until after four days, but when pinholes appear, it may only be after two days. No problem with the seal, but I find this issue annoying because you never know when it will happen. I now know to check for these. I use Hollister products. It seems to be where the bag is creased upon sitting, etc. Has anyone else experienced this?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

tess45

No, I have not had that problem - but I do notice that the bag only lasts about 5 days and then it starts to leak from the filter - try wearing a belt or waist-high boxers (men's seem to be the best) that's what I wear and they keep the bag flat and it does not crease - I also use Hollister. Are you rinsing out the bag? I was told that, that was not a good idea.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
B4_R2D2

I use the old Coloplast two-piece, and do sometimes develop small cracks when folds develop. I find a piece of plastic tape (3M, Johnson & Johnson, pink tape, etc...) usually keeps leaks contained. Even Scotch tape for paper works for a limited time...

socalileo

I use a two-piece Hollister system as well. I don't have any problems with cracking or pinholes though. Have you contacted Hollister? Maybe the particular bag you are using has that issue but another style may not. I would contact them. What's the worst that could happen? That they tell you nothing? You already have that. I would think that they would want to keep your business and try to help you resolve your problem. Good luck!

Xerxes

When I used to use Hollister, I would on occasion get a 'bad' box of appliances where the appliance actually disengaged from the kariya seal at an unannounced time. It was clearly a defect and it happened too often for me. Perhaps you are getting defective 'bags'.

X_

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Cecille

I started to get little holes, but they stopped when I realized it was one of my cats leaping onto my lap!

socalileo

That is funny, Cecille!

aapplet

I use Hollister products and have had no problems with them. My wear time is 4 days, unless I am sweating, then the flange begins to leak. I had a bad experience the other day in a public place where I was doing chair massage, and my bag started to leak. YIKES!!! How embarrassing was that!!!! I am sure the person I was massaging could smell poop on me. I could not get home quick enough. I will always bring a spare from now on because you just never can be too confident.

tess45

Rotten Cats LOL - guess I'm lucky my cat is declawed but he's a heavyweight LOL - I also use Hollister and have never had a problem with them - I usually get 6-7 days of wear time but I do need to use 2 bags in that time frame - I also had a flange meltdown at work - and it was embarrassing even though I had extra supplies with me (a must - you also probably take an extra set of clothes - I do) I did not have extra gauze and tape and wound dressing - so I had to clean up as best as I could without being able to change the appliance for the last hour that I was at work - I'm surprised that I didn't break the sound barrier driving home LMSO - but I think that I would have been able to talk a cop out of the speeding ticket or I could have just showed him the reason that I was speeding

susjs

I use Hollister's two-part system. My experience is that the flange needs to be changed every two days or you risk the pinpoint holes. I think I figured out what is causing the problem - as I am clipping the bag onto the flange, I check to make sure the bag is connected and often my fingernail is touching the flange (even with gloves on). I think it's the pressure of the nail that eventually weakens the clear part of the flange...does that make sense? Don't know if I'm explaining correctly...

Tweet555

Wow, I am so excited to find someone who has the same problem. But it is totally all pinholes before you put it on. I can see the holes or stamped too hard when made. I have called Hollister for 2 years, but they send me a new box and 3 out of 5 will be the same thing. I have both urine and bowel bags, and now they both come that way. I don't even put them on, but then I run out. So then I need to tape over the holes or I have none. My medical place where I get them will not help me either. I am ready to call Medicare, but try to find their line open.