Concerns about Huge Parastomal Hernia and Reversal Success

Replies
Views
supernan

Hi Bluebell, I also have a melon-sized hernia, and since I have had a chest infection this week, it is now even bigger - a watermelon - but I have a belt that I have to wear which has been specially made through the hospital. Your stoma nurse should have referred you to the Orthotic Dept. of your hospital. I agree that you are not given nearly enough help and aftercare, and had to get upset before they would do anything. My surgeon is very good though. I personally can't have a repair as I can't have any more surgery because of my heart, but the belt does help enormously. Make sure and get referred.

Past Member
Hi Bluebell,

When I was in the hospital last week, the CT scan showed a rather large hernia behind my stoma. I didn't know about belts, either. I followed Wilski's reply to you and called NuHope
800-899-5017 just now. They have a really helpful staff there (I spoke with Linda) and a great worksheet on their website http://nu-hope.com/beltlit.pdf that helps you calculate the right belt for you and your body. Once you get the correct measurements, they give you a product number. Then you call your ostomy supplier (I use Liberty) and give them the information. Your physician will have to approve it if you are on Medicare. I just completed the Doctor's Order Form and am putting it in the mail. I don't feel too well today and don't want to drive it over there even though I am so excited to receive my belt. I know it will be night and day with regard to comfort. I am just so uncomfortable most of the time and bending or stooping can be painful. The rest of the time, I walk around with this sense of fullness in my abdomen and pulling of my lower back muscles. No one at the doctor's office or the hospital told me about hernia belts. In fact, my doctor didn't even think I had one as she could not see or feel it. Only the CT scan revealed that I do have one. What really makes me angry is that getting a hernia can sometimes be prevented if you wear a belt after your surgery. NuHope has those, too, for pouch support and hernia prevention. But does anyone tell us? No-o-o. So thanks again, everyone. You given me another piece of valuable information that can make my future brighter. Call NuHope, Bluebell. I think you will be helped and less frightened with this added support, literally and figuratively.

Loretta
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,446 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Vietnam67-71
Loretta

I live in the Kansas City area and went to the VA for the surgery, and now they (VA) claim I am too fat for surgery (3 Colon and Rectal Surgeons that I saw said my weight was not a problem). The VA does not charge me for my care or meds because of my veteran status. I have not had a reversal, and one is not possible now due to the original surgery which removed the last two feet of my colon, rectum, and anus. I do not see the university medical school about my parastomal hernia until March 2012. No, I am not scared about the mesh because I haven't seen the ads on TV, and I had inguinal hernia repaired with mesh back in 1992 which did not cause problems.

As for the NuHope hernia belt, yes, you should be wearing one. The belt will slow the hernia from getting larger. You should also talk to your PCP about the belt; the PCP may not know enough about colostomies to prescribe a belt. If you are having trouble getting your PCP to prescribe a belt, get your stoma nurse to help you and/or call NuHope and ask them what information they can provide for your PCP. If you have been to NuHope's website, download their catalog and give your PCP a copy. A hernia belt from NuHope costs about $100 if you pay yourself like I did for one at the Ostomy Care Center store here in Kansas City. When I needed to replace my first hernia belt and the VA kept getting the wrong belt, I went there and had them fit me and order a new belt which I got about 7 days later. The VA took another 2 weeks plus after I got the belt from Ostomy Care Center; they know me by name there.

The hernia belts come in a variety of widths and should be worn anytime there is a possibility of a hernia. That means from immediately after surgery or years later or anytime in between.

Conrad
Past Member
Hi Vietnam,

I'm glad you finally got fitted. Sounds like you went through a lot. I can't wait till mine comes in. I know I will be more comfortable. I got bad news yesterday as my GI is moving back to CA. That leaves one here in Roswell and he is a jerk. I've spoken with a lot of people and they drive as far as 500 miles to see their GI as they will not go to this one. I just heard today that a couple of years ago, he put an old lady in a wheelchair in an examination room at 1:00 p.m. Her driver called at 5:00. The doctor was adamant no one was in the office and he was just locking up. Then he called the driver a few minutes later and said, "Sorry, but she passed away in one of our rooms. No one knew she was there." That was bullshit. The driver told me she put her in the room herself per the R.N's instructions and even asked the woman if she wanted her to stay, but she said no. She died all alone sitting up in a wheelchair in a doctor's office and no one even knew it. See why people drive so far so they won't have to see him? I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm all alone. Most of these folks have family. I pray I don't end up like that little old lady. Those blockages happen fast and can be lethal in hours. Another acquaintance of an acquaintance was deep in the heart of Mexico when his abscess ruptured. He refused to be operated on by the doctors there. He and his wife drove the 7 hours to Laredo, TX. The doctor told her, "It's really bad. He's very infected. But with God's help, we'll do all we can." The man came out fine and wants to drive back to Laredo to get his reversal in May. So I guess I have a lot of research to do. I'm calling, questioning, comparing, considering. I don't want to happen what happened before. My doctor was on vacation for a month and the new gal almost caused my death. Anyway, I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for my NuHope belt. They were SO nice and patient getting me the right measurements, etc. Boy, I was miserable today. I went to lunch with an old friend and sitting up really straight and stiff and hoping I don't let any air escape makes me so sore. The belt will help my back muscles a lot. Loretta
dandare
Hi there Bluebel, well it's already been a week since my surgery and all's holding good. I've been afraid to comment on this in case I'll jinx it, but I'm remaining positive and know it's going to work. My surgeon didn't actually use the mesh for my hernia but decided to use an old stitch system that he's always preferred. My system hasn't as yet settled down to any particular pattern as yet, but I haven't been caught out yet with it, fingers crossed. I did follow my nurses' instructions with the Kegel exercises and know they have definitely helped. My surgery took approximately 7 hours, which the surgeon wasn't surprised with as everything went pretty well to plan. I know I'll have to be careful not to get a recurrence and am taking the lifting thing very seriously.
So my answer to you is not to panic. All will be well and leave it in the hands of your surgeon. I'll let you know how things progress and if there are any other difficulties. So, keep smiling and stay positive, Colm

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
sunnydisposition.

Hi Blue Bell, that exact thing happened to me. I had my Hartman reversed and the hernia fixed at the same time. Mr. Hale did it at the Sussex. So far, so good.
If it's a massive hernia, you don't need to worry about strangulation. The worst thing is how big it is and how it makes you feel. I recommend you visit the website 'The Apparel Place'. The only thing that flattened my tummy was the extra strong underbust corset. It is $60 but worth the money if you want to go out and wear a nice dress. However, they are really tight and although you will look great, they are not the most comfortable. I am all reversed now and have no hernia, although my tummy sticks out a lot more now that I don't have muscles at the front. So, I wear a light corset and now have a 16-inch mesh sewn in to hold the hernia in place.
Good luck. P.S. I recommend a fiberless diet for a few weeks before the operation and after.

Wilski

I'm glad you took my advice and are trying the Nu Hope belt. I wear a 6" during the day and 3" at night sleeping. I was really uncomfortable at night sleeping until I started wearing the smaller belt. I wish I knew about it day one, but better late than never. Good luck.

Wilski

The belt is used post-surgery. No need to wear it beforehand. It will hold in your intestines after the colostomy. Depending on the skill of the surgeon, the small intestines may begin to sneak through the hole created by the stoma. Without support from a belt, gravity helps pull more through little by little (some have it happen all at once.) I read a medical statistic that said
about 50% of all colostomates develop hernias, but it's not clear if they were wearing a belt or not.

dcrazy

It's been a few years, how are you guys doing now? Cheers.