Fasting for Weight Loss with an Ileostomy - Need Advice!

Replies
Views
BONBAZ
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, so hello to all the friends I don't know yet.
I'd like to ask your opinions on fasting.
After my ileostomy for colitis 2 years ago, I gained around 4 stone (56 pounds).
I couldn't lose any weight by cutting portion sizes down, so I decided to fast every other day.
I've been doing this for 6 months now and I've lost 40 pounds.
The trouble is, every time I start eating every day, I put weight on quite quickly.
I don't eat many carbs as they make me have a very thick output, then my bag leaks.
Has anyone else tried this diet and how did you stop?
tess45

Have you talked to your doctor or someone in the medical profession to discuss other options to fasting? There are so many ways to lose weight.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,429 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy

With an ileo, you should be experiencing a lot of very watery stool. Are you taking anything (like Imodium) to stop the dehydration? I do not know why your output is thick, but you may want to take a second look at the meds you are taking. If your meds promote thick output, you may gain weight. I stopped with the Imodium, and my weight returned to normal. I guess the longer you hold the food inside of you, the more carbs you will absorb, and the fatter you may become. Talk with your doctor or nutritionist. Also, experiment a little. Fasting, however, is not an option outside of Lent. Welcome to this site. PB

BONBAZ
Thank you for your replies and thank you for the welcome,
I don't eat any carbs now and yes I have very watery output, but I like that,
I've never taken Imodium, and the only meds I take is quinine sulfate for cramps, I take one at night,
I was just wondering if anyone else had fasted to lose weight, and how to keep the weight off,
That's the hard bit,
Great site, thank you, I've been reading on here for a while now.
Hugs, Maggie.
WOUNDED DOE

Hi, I've had my ileo for 36 years..... Personally, I think your fasting is not a good idea. Definitely speak to your doctor or nutritionist about this, but gosh, don't fast.... Your body requires fuel EVERY day, dear. My suggestion is to get a good juicer and stuff every fruit and vegetable in that thing, juice it, and slam it down...... It will boost your energy, help manage weight, and it's sooooo healthy to do........... Whatever you decide, I hope you check with your doc on this ... Be careful.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Lobster

Fasting is not a good idea at all. As others have said, speak to a doctor or a nutritionist.

beatrice
Welcome Bonbaz!

We are in the same boat! Ileo (Dec 09) due to colitis ... steadily gaining weight.

Do not fast - bad news. See a nutritionist/dietitian.

My diet post-ileo has definitely changed - it's now more carb-heavy - the carbs process better for me than fruits/veggies or meat protein. But also (and I know this is the key for me ... maybe you too) I am not as active as I was pre-ileo. Not a huge drop in activity, but I just don't have the energy I used to. Takes way less to tire me out. And overall, my metabolism has changed - I can feel it. Plus I'm at the change of life age and the hormones are doing their thing (or not )

I can't eat veggies unless they are cooked to within an inch of their lives. I tried the juicer route ... just not a juice person. Recently I have been able to tolerate romaine lettuce - not the center spine part, but just the edge of the leaves. How I love my salads with feta cheese and croutons! A nice large salad with a little fish or chicken makes a nice dinner. Lean ground beef with pasta too.

So, I am watching the carbs and empty calories (wouldn't you know it, chips/cheesies go down so good). Making sure I get some exercise. I weigh myself weekly and have been able to stay where I am weight-wise for the last couple of months ... maybe up a pound or 2 one week, but then back down a bit the next.

And a biggie for me -- I decided to stop worrying about 15 extra pounds. I'm not obese, my bloodwork is good/cholesterol is good and I feel really great. So I'm a little rounder, have some love handles and had to buy a bigger bra -- big deal.

Let us know what you find out if you go to a dietitian/nutritionist.

All the best,
Bea
BONBAZ

Well, thank you everyone. I went to the doctor and she said, as long as I feel energetic and take my iron, vitamins, and calcium tablets, I'm doing no harm to myself.
I do walk 20 minutes a day on my treadmill.
She said fasting is okay with an ileostomy, and that it probably doing me good.
She took bloods and told me to go back in 2 weeks for the results.
So, fingers crossed.
She also said not wanting to eat with an ileostomy could be psychological, for fear of it making me leak or smell.
(I think she's right on that one.)

beatrice

Good news for you!

I always find it so interesting that doctors/medical field opinions can differ so much.

And you've inspired me to get back on the treadmill. I have one but prefer to walk outside ... so when the weather is bad ... I have a reason not to go. Not going to use that one again!

We all play our psychological games with ourselves, don't we?

budd002

I joined this site, it's a free site that can help you keep track of what you are eating. 90% of the people on it are using it to lose weight, I am trying to gain weight but it is helping me to see I need to intake more calories and how many a day I should be taking in.

My roommate also joined with me and he has lost a total of 28 pounds since Jan 6th. You would be amazed at the crap you are putting in your mouth. I was shocked when I found out a McDonald's Big Mac meal was over my entire calorie amount for a day. If I had that for lunch I couldn't eat the rest of the day...

The site has really opened my eyes to nutrition and my eating habits have really changed. I also have my son on it as well and although he hasn't lost any weight, he hasn't gained any either...

The site is free so it can't hurt...might help...If you join up look me up...budd002

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
BONBAZ

Thank you, bud. I will go check it out.
Hope you are well.

tess45

Budd002 - Have you gained any weight? - I need to gain as well. - I think a chicken weighs more than I do. LOL - I eat about 3000 calories a day and when I can afford it, I use a protein powder in sauces and soups and milk, etc. And I have not been able to gain - I can maintain, which is better than losing. - I'm 5'6" and only weigh 97 lbs. - I really would like to have my butt and a couple of other things HEHE back...
Thanks
Terry

kittybou
Reply to tess45

Get a 6 lb bag of gummy bears from Amazon, snack on those. I was 96 lbs when I left hospital in July, up to 110 now. 🎉💃😸. Problem is I walk the dog 2 miles a day, he wants 4 miles. 🐕🤷