Desperate for help with receding stoma after hernia surgery

Replies
Views
pastorpatricia

I had surgery five weeks ago to repair a hernia. I've had a colostomy for over two years. The surgeon didn't move the stoma, but it receded into a hole and I'm desperate for help. The stoma nurse has tried everything she can think of, including trying to "pull" the stoma out manually, but nothing is working. I'm changing appliances every few hours and my skin is very sore and raw. Will the stoma come out on its own? Will I need more surgery? Anybody got any ideas or advice? I'd sure appreciate any help.

bluebelgirl

Oh God, what a nightmare for you. My stoma is retracted, despite a stoma revision to correct it. They told me the surgeon couldn't pull out any more bowel. I had very sore skin for months, but I'm finally on top of it with powder and barrier spray.

I'm afraid it won't pop out, and you may have to have another operation.

In my short 9-month experience of colostomies, they keep bringing more horrible problems, at least for me. Let us know how you get on.
Bluebell x

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,457 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Cecille

What might help is eating more. Mine started off quite level with the skin but as I have been able to eat more (about a year after the op) it has now come out about an inch.

PADI60

My stoma is also deep inside of me since my last surgery a month ago, it's hard to get bags to fit, my skin gets so raw. Also, does anyone have diarrhea all the time? Never do I have formed stools, what's up?? I just want this thing to be normal, whatever that may be. Let me know if any of you have this problem. So I find myself taking anti-diarrhea pills so I don't go as much. Hate it!!!!!
Thank you

notexpectingthis

My stoma was "in a hole" too after my emergency ileostomy on 10/29/11. It is quite frustrating! The repeated (every 3 hours or so) bag loss shredded my skin and was in a lot of pain! I swapped to a Nu Hope bag with convexity as it helped to pop the stoma out somewhat. I attached the bag with an Eakin seal after applying powder and a no-sting spray, topped it all off with a belt to snugly hold the bag in place. The Eakin seal allowed my skin to heal up to the sides of my stoma which helped A LOT. My stoma is still flush with the top of my skin but is functional. I still use the Nu Hope bags with convexity, the Eakin seals, powder, spray, and a belt. I also ordered a wrap from ostomysecrets.com to help support the weight of the bag and contents to keep it from pulling away from my body while it was filling. My WOC nurse (thank God for her!) told me that Hollister also makes a bag with convexity. What kind of bag are you using now?

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
PADI60

I'm using a Hollister 1-piece bag, it works okay. It seems to work okay. I have used so many in the last year. I guess my concern is the stoma being so deep inside me, also the loose stools all the time, sick of it. So I take anti-diarrhea pills a lot, so I don't go as much.
Does anyone else have this problem and should I be concerned about my inner stoma?

notexpectingthis

PADI60 - My ileostomy runs all the time - liquid - have had it for 6 months. The WOC nurse said it will always be that way.