Equipment suggestions for post-surgery exercise?

Replies
Views
NJ1215

I am a member at a fitness center in New Jersey. I find myself not going because I really do not know what type of exercise equipment I can use. I have asked trainers at the gym but they are clueless. So, I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on what type of equipment I can use. I also asked my surgeon if I can exercise and he suggested it but did not give me any information on what type of equipment would be beneficial. So, I am at a loss of not knowing where to start. It has been one year since I have had my surgery and I find that I am putting on weight because I do have a good appetite.

I usually ride the recumbent bike for 20 minutes and I do a hand exercise machine for another 20 minutes...that is all I do because I am afraid that I might rupture my stoma.

Appreciate any suggestions!!!!

Kate

ash1712

When I was fully recovered enough, I was in the same boat, but when I started running and weight training again, I found a pouch I felt comfortable with and started using a medical support belt. Now I'm comfortable using any piece of gym equipment. But my favorite cardio exercise is my punch bag and kettlebells. I hope my experiences are of some help.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy
Hi Kate,
Very good question. Did your surgeon rule out any type of exercise equipment that could lead to problems? If not, my guess is you can use almost anything but be extra careful about putting much stress on your abdominal muscles. You should be able to work these muscles but definitely not to any excess lest you produce a hernia. I would focus on general cardiovascular exercises and cautiously on muscle maintenance. Nothing is wrong with a good appetite but you can get a lot of mileage from portion control. That said, please pass the cannolis. PB
NJ1215

Hey, thanks for your instant reply on working out at the fitness center. I am going to take it day by day and use the equipment. I will be very careful not to work my stomach area and try to focus on other areas.

I am passing the cannoli to you because I don't like them. I prefer a sfogliatella (the pastry that looks like a clam)......

Kate

austen

Hi Kate, I've had an end ileostomy and I now have a loop ileostomy. As soon as I was healed, I was able to train nearly as hard as I used to. Just build it slowly around your core. Your stomach muscles will hurt before your stoma does.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ash1712

You may need some sort of support belt. For peace of mind as much as physical support.