One Year Stomaversary

In this discussion
Replies
Views
kbd
On March 8th one year ago I had colostomy surgery. It is not an exaggeration to say that had I not had the surgery, I would not be here today. I was wasting away from Crohn's Disease, my body was getting no nutrition, I was anemic from constant bleeding, and weighed 90 pounds less than I do today. So an ostomy saved my life. It has been a pain sometimes, and there has been a learning curve, but to move from death to life has no downside.
So say hello to my little friend, it is one year old
KBD
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
happy one year!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
kbd
Thanks
Beaner
I wouldn't be here either. I have Crohn's, had a fistula perforate my bowel and had an emergency colostomy. It was eleven months from then, this past January that I had a reversal and all is going well. I was so thankful for the life saving colostomy. If I ever have to get another one it will be permanent. I got used to it and could live with it for the rest of my life, as many people do!
Past Member
mine was due to cancer. mine is also 2 years.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
kbd
I had fistulas and abscesses, a real mess. I was asked if I would ever want it reversed, I said "no way", my life was so miserable with Crohn's, the abscesses, fistulas, fevers, pain, I never wanted to go through that again. I don't regret my decision. I know everyone has different situations. If I had not been in such bad shape with the Crohn's I probably would have opted for a reversal, but I had suffered so much for so many years I was ready to be done with it.
KBD
Pinky
Congratulations kbd! You definitely have the right attitude for long term adjustment. And btw: reversals aren't always what one is led to believe. Mine cause me unneccesary pain and suffering for 5 years, and you will also see many others on this site who had little if any benefit from a reversal and shortly went back to the pouching system.

That's NOT to say I would ever discourage someone from trying a reversal!
kbd
Thanks Pinky!
mooza
Congratulations kbd well said ..same kinda situation just want to get on with life ...just had my 9th operation i tell ya im over it xxxxxxxx mooza
kbd
Thanks Mooza! I hope you recover well and quickly from your operation.
KBD