Changing bags after swimming with a stoma?

Replies
Views
cancerfree

I'm with Belinda on this one. Supplies aren't cheap, even with coverage, so why change your bag if you don't need to. If I had to change my bag after every shower, whew!! $$.

I take a leisurely bath the days when everything needs to be changed and once in a while I sneak one in the interim with no harm. If you have a secure flange there should be no problems. I have heard that some who wear Coloplast get an even better adherence after being in a hot tub -- not my schtick but might be yours.

Wilski

Barrier wipes go on the skin and help the wafer stick.

I have an ostomy for the last three years. Last year in Las Vegas, I decided it was time to go in the water. I first tested myself in a bathtub successfully. Then I went into the pools at the Caesar Hotel. No problem at all! I wear an ostomy belt in the water under my suit. The belt guarantees that the wafer/bag will not come off. I also use a filter bag. So I just put the adhesive circle over the filter and voila. The wafer remains on once dry. I do admit that Vegas was very dry and everything just evaporated instantly after coming out of the water.

Good luck in the pool or ocean. You shouldn't have any problems.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

beatrice
Have had my ileostomy for almost a month now... one of my major concerns was being able to get into the ocean and snorkel.

I even considered one of these devices (http://www.allegromedical.com/ostomy-supplies-c529/dry-pro-ostomy-cover-p555611.html) - is that the one you mean.

Would give it a try, but the reviews are awful.

I know I'd feel more secure with something over my appliance -- something belt-like and waterproof that goes around me and the appliance. Sometimes we're in the water for 1.5 hours at a time.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
beatrice
ram

Hi Laura,

It was good to find you on this site. Someone from Somerset. I just had my operation and have a permanent stoma due to Chron's. It will be nice to catch up with someone. I am feeling much better, hoping to go back to work in late January. It will be nice to catch up with you. Take care.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Franicaa

Hey. I got my stoma in July '09 so this year was the first summer I had it really!
I went to Gran Canaria in April and did so much swimming and sunbathing in the one-piece swimsuits I bought! I have a loop ileostomy and j-pouch so hopefully by July this year I will be stoma-free, but at the moment with the bag I haven't found swimming a problem.
I always bathe with my bag on anyway cause I don't like how unpredictable my stoma can be and I don't want to risk pooping in the bath! I usually change my bag after I've been in the bath or swimming and I change my bag every day. To those of you who use hot water to take your bag off: Appeel No Sting Medical Adhesive Remover in the aerosol is really good- you just pull the top of your bag back and spray it on and the bag just falls right off! This is helpful because I change my bag so often so the skin doesn't end up getting sore! Anyway, other tips include changing your bag at least a couple of hours before you go swimming if you don't have time to change it after, warming the bag up before you stick it on, (this helps the flange bit stick on and flex around your body contours!) you can do this by putting it under your armpit, sitting on it or giving it a blast with the hairdryer! Also folding the bag so it doesn't poke out the sides! And after you've been swimming if you can't be bothered to change your bag or don't have time I dry mine using the hairdryer so it doesn't leave all wet patches on my clothes!
If you want to be on the extra safe side you can get secure tape which sticks over the edge of the flange bit of the bag and gives it extra sticking power, the tape is really good but tough to get off your skin! I hope this helps... sorry it's such a long post!!