Urge to Sit on Loo with Ileostomy - Need Ideas!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
airforce1

I have had an ileostomy for 3 years, but lately, I have this urge to sit on the loo. It's happening more often now. Any ideas?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Dave_Canada

I had the same issue. Mine was caused by the fact that my ileostomy surgery was an emergency, and there was no time to properly prep me. I still had contents in my bowel months after. I consulted with my surgeon after several urges to sit hit me. He suggested I try an enema at home. I was scheduled for a colonoscopy anyway, so he suggested that I do it three times over three days. Not only did this clean me out for my colonoscopy, but it "cured" me of my urges. (Yes, the enemas were productive).
I don't know your situation, of course, but it might be worth asking your doctor about it.

He also added that it happens to people that aren't emergency cases if they have enough bowel left afterward. He said the colon still produces mucus and it's not unusual to get the urge to pass it.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
gutenberg
OH YEAH, I had emergency surgery in 2003 but its only in the last year or so that I feel this real urge to go, and I have found that by just sitting on the toilet will relieve that annoying sensation. I guess we'll just chalk it up to phantom elCrapo, Ed
DerbySteve

Just like when someone loses an arm, the person's mind might believe the arm is still there functioning. From time to time, I have that same phantom situation with my rectum! I have a permanent colostomy, and my anus was removed, now I'm sealed shut. I was once a gay bottom until the doctor put me out of business down there! I'm like Fort Knox, ... nobody's getting in! I remember waking up in the hospital, yelling "Who took my asshole? ... Has anybody seen my asshole?" For all I know, it probably wound up in a restaurant somewhere. (Never order the calamari). Anyhoo... now I get jealous of those who can, all at once, sit on the porcelain throne, read the morning newspaper, and release a good "healthy" as a gift back to Mother Earth. I guess I suffer from a bad case of anus-envy!

survivor12

I have the same situation after having cancer and losing my rectum. My doctors told me it is because the tumors were so low in my bowel, right on top of the rectum, that I will have the urge to want to sit and go. Hope it gets better for you........

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pinky

It's a common problem. I find taking a very warm bath or walking instead of sitting to be of great help. Also, because I retain a rectal "stump," I can use hydrocortisone suppositories to reduce the inflammation in those tissues.

Opa Ray

For the "urge to sit down," I am using Salofalk suppositories, and one or two will fix the problem for me and clean out the rectum as well. Opa Ray

mooza

Yep, been there too. I just sit on the loo. Seems like the right thing to do. Lol, not that it's gonna help... I do like the enema idea too. I also heard it's the way the brain is connected to us. xxxxxxx mooza xxxx

Green Eyed Lady
Hi there,

I see that at least another person mentioned "mucus" that is a by-product after surgery. Well, I'm here to tell you that this is true. I have had no complications (thank God) since my ileostomy surgery almost 4 years ago...BUT, every couple of months, I have this huge urge to sit on the toilet and push...each time I give myself enough time pushing, I'm able to pass what appears to be mucus that has hardened into something that looks much like a suppository. It sometimes has some very faint blood staining through/around it. My surgeon did tell me right at the start that this is totally normal and to expect it. It's very similar to when the vets squeeze the "anal gland" of male dogs and cats to rid them of exactly the same thing. I personally wouldn't worry too much over it. If you get the urge to push, then do it gently until the pressure passes...and don't be alarmed if you do pass what I've just explained. Hope this helps!
WOUNDED DOE
I'm agreeing with Ed here about just sitting on the toilet. It goes away usually in a minute or two....or a few lol.......I have had my ostomy since age 10, I am 45 now.......and I do get those phantom sensations every once in a while too, sort of like my muscles are contracting and feel the need to push....lol I think it's sorta funny......
bmeup

DerbySteve! You crack me up! I am laughing my head off! Thanks for the humor, man! Wish I could have been there when you woke up from surgery. Poor baby... I know how you felt. Now that you have a Barbie butt, I hope your Ken is patient and kind. Xoxoxoxox!!!

JVBOS03

Derby Steve, thank you for posting this! I am four weeks out of the surgery for the very same reason and am healing nicely but the reality is certainly glaring. I appreciate your lightheartedness and hope that I too will get there soon. I am more grateful that I am alive. I am sure that I'll be mourning the loss and wondering what intimacy it will end up looking like in the future.