Opinions on BCIR surgery for ileostomy patients?

Replies
Views
megalyman

I have had an ileostomy since 2007. I am 57. I currently do not have any problems with anything related to this. I have been reading about the BCIR and am wondering if it really makes a big difference. Any thoughts or ideas on this surgery?

Bumba

It made a big difference for me. I had my conventional ileostomy for almost 40 years. I have had my Koch pouch since 1991. I am much happier, have a better body image, and would never go back. The recovery is hard work and not without its challenges but well worth it. I hope this helps.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,435 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

megalyman

Hey buddy, thanks for the reply. How tough was the recovery if you don't mind? I live by myself but may be able to get family help. Please tell me as much as you feel comfortable about.

Don
Bumba
Hey Don, I live alone too. The hardest part is being vigilant about emptying the new pouch round the clock as it stretches. It means not a lot of continuous sleep for about a month. You also have to wear a bag for about a month. However, I feel that my clothes fit better, swimming is easier, and travel is much easier as you don't have to take all those supplies with you. Just a catheter and some lubricating jelly. It has been several years since my operation, so I don't remember the pain and frustration from the time, but like I said, I would be very upset if I had to go back to a conventional ostomy. Please feel free to contact me at any time with questions you may have. I wish you the best of luck. What city and state are you in?
Barbara
megalyman

Hey Barbara, I live south of Dallas, Texas close to Lake Richland Chambers. Did you have the option to stay in a medical rehab?
Don

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bumba

I did not. My mother was still alive back then and she came and stayed with me for a week or so. Do you have that option? I always think I will get better faster at my own home.
Barbara

vanessavy
The BCIR is done in Florida at the Palms of Pasadena. Dr. Jacobson in Dallas does the Kpouch though, he has done CIRs as well.

I went to Florida (live in Dallas) for mine since I am from there and the care at that hospital is like no other you will experience anywhere else. The whole wing is dedicated to the continent ileostomy surgery. You are in the hospital for 21 days and trust me you need that time. They educate you a lot on the BCIR and how to take care of it. One family member is allowed to stay with you in your private suite and gets fed 3x a day. Washers and dryers and showers are available, TV, WiFi, etc.

You do not wear a bag after you leave the hospital, you intubate with a catheter. Not sure why anyone says you wear a bag for a month... For 2-4 weeks you are on a schedule to intubate, first week once in the middle of the night. Every day it gets moved an hour until you can hold it for 12 hours. I can hold mine for 12-15 currently unless I have gas that makes it uncomfortable or I am too full and want to eat more.

I had mine done December 9th (almost 6 months out). Feel free to ask me any questions!

2 months out I was back at the gym doing CrossFit and light weightlifting. Now I am back to Olympic weightlifting and all other workouts I previously did. Recovery after any surgery is long but not bad. 6 weeks out I was traveling with no issues, had house parties with tons of food I prepared, etc.
Bumba

If you do not stay in a facility for 3 weeks, you wear a leg bag. I was only in the hospital for 1 week, then I was on my own. It would have been nice to have 24/7 care at first. We, the people that went through this surgery, are "tough cookies". Not an easy recovery but well worth the effort.