Size and Location of Stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
susjs
I have had two stomas - the one that seems to have worked is on my right side, right at my waistline. "At rest," it is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and sticks out about the same (grows when active). I remarked to my doc that if I were a man and my stoma were a penis, I would almost be proud. (He didn't laugh - I guess guys don't like those kind of jokes). Anyway, after two surgeries, I have a huge scar running down the middle of my abdomen. The side the stoma is on seems to be much bigger (in terms of sticking out) than the other side and when you add the stoma and the bag, I think it is incredibly visible. I wear tops and vests and sweaters that are huge and are long enough to cover the whole mess. I just hate it. I miss wearing nice clothes...but I can't wear pants with a waistline because it goes right across the stoma and I am just so self-conscious. The thing I miss the most is swimming...I don't think I will ever feel comfortable enough to wear a swimming suit again. Anyone have any suggestions that have worked for you?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,087 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

skidder
Hi Susie, Skidder here! It was back in 2008 that I noticed the same thing with my ileostomy on the lower left side. After a while, I noticed I was somewhat tender to the touch. I went to my GI doc and after some testing, I had a hernia right below my stoma and slightly to the left. Until that diagnosis was made, I felt the same as you are feeling. I too was very self-conscious and almost wished I could crawl under the carpet! The surgery was done and wow, what a difference! It didn't help that I was a Physical Therapist Aide. Have it checked out...if there's a hard knot or lump, there it could very well be a hernia. Keep in touch, hope you can get it addressed and taken care of. I know exactly where you're coming from and I do believe it can be properly taken care of. Keep smiling.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
susjs

Thanks, Skidder!

I think I'm going to go back to my surgeon before my two years of free access to him is up (end of June) and see what he thinks. You may be right about the hernia..

Susan