Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,338 members

Meeting new people

Posted by nzbaybii, on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:11 am
heya i wanna talk to new people in same or similar situatons as i dont know anyone yet. ive had ulcerative colitis for a couple of ears and had my first surgery for my j pouch a couple of months ago, i have an ileostomy atm
plz feel free to contact me
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:28 am
I'm so sorry that happened to you honey.  I have limited contact abilities until Friday when I pay the site but at least I can post here Smile  I've had my ostomy since I was ten so I've definitely been around every situation with it all these years.  If you ever have any questions, ask away.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:56 pm
Feel free to ask away! Since this is all new to you, you may still be embarrassed to ask certain questions in a public forum. One of the many good things about this forum is the diverse group of people, so just pick someone you feel matches your situation and you can always ask questions privately.

That being said, I'm sure you will find a wide variety of questions asked and answered here. You are certainly in good company here and everyone is willing to help. So relax and jump in feet first, you'll feel right at home Smile
Reply by vulcanBMk2, on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:24 pm
Hey just Chat Away!!! My door is allways open---Oh & welcome to the site!!
Reply by PeetB, on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:28 pm
I had my operation 2 months ago and have an ileostomy.  I am just lookin for people to chat with too.  please feel free to get bak to me.  Stay strong.
Reply by bearcat, on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:30 pm
I  have had my ileo since Jul 08, but i'm not much help as i am one of the lucky one who has no problems with the bag. my surgery was good, no pain at all, lost all my rear section, use same one peice bag from convatec that i first used in the hospital(using same clip), adhesive remover, skin prep, cut the hole to right size, stick it on and am good for 4-7 days. i have had to change my wardrobe some  but i  have always wore casual clothing most of the time and my stoma blends  right in. life is different, but still good and always remember that any day "above ground" is better the the alternative. have a good day.if i can help you in any way, let me know.
Reply by Dromulis, on Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:14 am
hello if you ever need any help or just want someone to talk to then feel free to message me
Reply by weewee, on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:21 am
to make it funny my friends youngest son calls it my" diaper" if you want an honest answer ask a young kid you will get a laugh" and i have to change my diaper up to 3 times a day depending on the weather and how much i do of bending twisting and all the fun stuff you do during a day this is my second colostomy and a perm since jan of 09
Reply by Dromulis, on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:45 pm

weewee wrote:
to make it funny my friends youngest son calls it my" diaper" if you want an honest answer ask a young kid you will get a laugh" and i have to change my diaper up to 3 times a day depending on the weather and how much i do of bending twisting and all the fun stuff you do during a day this is my second colostomy and a perm since jan of 09
i call mine my airbag and it deploys to often. the only thing i have found that sticks good is hollister products because the wafer is very flexible
Reply by weewee, on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:02 am
i also wear hollister 15024 waffers i like the two part they are the only ones to last up to 17 hours if i just sit around and play on the computer to secure it to last the longest 2 wax rings paste and cold weather
cee
Reply by cee, on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:37 pm
I am also a new person who has taken baby steps with the site. Partly this is because I am scheduled to have a permanent colostomy August 3rd (had a temp. iliostomy a few years ago) so feel..like not quite a member of the club yet. It is hard for me to read responses from people who "hate" the bag. I have tried everything in the world like so many people here and there isn't any other option. I am trying hard at being optimistic and believing my life will change for the better.
Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:46 pm

cee wrote:
It is hard for me to read responses from people who "hate" the bag. I have tried everything in the world like so many people here and there isn't any other option. I am trying hard at being optimistic and believing my life will change for the better.

ok, life is hard......but life is good.....remember there are many folks in the cemetary who would love to trade places. going to re-post this poem..... it`s a bit unpolished but the message shines thru......you can overcome hardship.....but YOU must make the DECISION that you WILL DO IT!!! god bless

lets not forget that life is dear

just because we got no rear!!

we can still love and play

thank you god for another day

i`ll stand up straight, like a man

i`ll show the world, oh yes i can

i will not wimper, never cry

if i fail, again i`ll try

life will test your very mettle

for second best i will not settle

i`ll be the best that i can be

others are watching, what will they see

dont let them see that you`ll give in

remember always, who dares.. wins
Reply by The Bag, on Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:07 am
hey there welcome to our little club/community! i know what youre going thru. i had uc in 93-94 went thru all 3 ops. now ive been blessed once again w/ crohns i hope this doesnt happen to you or anyone else. truly blessed w/ both of these God for saken diseases. the weird part was getting potty trained after all of it. oh and staying away from spicey foods nothing like fire going out your caboose... OOOOOOUCH!!!! anyway i had to wear The Bag for 11 months before going back to normal. are you a lifetime member? i am now as the crohns to its toll on me. adapt & adjust and keep the whole thing moving! i have become a lifetime member as of 3-30-09 and have learned a lot, especially from my angel ( e.t. nurse ) if you need to bend an ear give me wink.
G G
Reply by G G, on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:04 pm
I've read in a few posts about people wearing Hollister appliances.  I've been wearing the simple Hollister 3228 since surgery16 years ago.  I've tried other types but they don't work for me.  So I have to change it once a day,  no big deal.  

I am grateful for my surgery.  I can eat all kinds of food now and I'm very rarely sick.  I don't advertise my ileostomy, but it has not held me back.  I just thank God that there is a surgery for UC and Crohn's.    One unfortunate aspect of Crohn's:  now that my intestines are gone, arthritis is rearing it's ugly head.  But I'm tackling it early on so still see a bright future.
* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.