Extreme itchiness after consuming acidic foods - any solutions?

Replies
Views
christine108

I find that when I have a glass of wine, or too much vinegar (e.g. in salad dressing) or sauerkraut - anything acidic, really, that the skin around my stoma gets really, really itchy!
So, I scratch and rub, but of course, can't get at the itchy bit because it's under the faceplate, but often scratch and rub enough to tear the paper of the faceplate, and have marks on my left front pocket area from all the rubbing - similar to when someone always puts their wallet in their back pocket.
Has anyone else found this extreme itchiness and any possible solutions - besides not drinking wine, eating salad dressing, etc?

kinder

When the area around my stoma starts to itch real bad, it means the pouch is leaking underneath and needs to be changed. I seem to have trouble with the pouch breaking down when I eat anything with tomatoes in it. I think you're right about the acid; it eats through the appliance. I would suggest changing your appliance when this happens.

Kinder

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,459 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

The "itch" is a sign that I need to change my baseplate (wafer) and usually happens after about 5 days, but this can vary due to what I've been eating or what the weather is like. If it's been hot, the itch comes sooner as I tend to be a very active person. When you change your baseplate, you can see how the acidic output has softened your plate and got under the inside edges of the appliance. Never ignore this early warning sign and take the earliest opportunity to change before a leak develops. After changing, the "itch" goes away and I feel like a new man!!!
Oh, and no matter how hard you scratch, you won't stop it itching, all you'll do is make the delicate skin around your stoma sore...so don't do it!!! LOL

Past Member

Couldn't have said it better, Dastardly. My words exactly. As soon as you feel the itch, don't delay. Change on the day. TC, Ambies.

Past Member

Hey Ambies, you're a poet and you didn't know it!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hey Dastardly, I sure am a poet. LOL! I need some inspiration. Any ideas? LOL! Ambies, TC.

Past Member

Ok, how about this Ambies......
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme, but this one doesn't!!!!
Told you I was rubbish

Past Member

Lol, not bad. Dast, there's a bit of poetry in us all. Oh well, I'll be thinking of some ideas. Lol...tc Ambies....

mooza

Yes, Dicky can be tricky - I know that itch is a bich... LOL Admin, please don't take down LOL.

Yes, time to change the pouchy. Also, I always use some stoma powder all the time.

And 3344E, a skin barrier, would love to have something even better. Will check if any new stuff when I'm back at my osty assoc X X X X X TTTTCCCCCC Ambies XX.

Counting My Blessings

Our group's WOCN says the itch can be a fungus. (And she had a can of spray used for jock itch with her at that meeting.)

I don't know if what you're eating can be the cause of it. I agree with the others above, CHANGE THE THING!! Only, after you dry your skin, use a Q-tip and apply Mercuroclear to the itchy area and beyond. All skin under your pouch, around the stoma, not on it. Dry with a cool to warm hair dryer, and reapply your pouch.

Note: Mercuroclear is in the first aid department at Walmart. It's the new answer for the old Mercurochrom or Merthiolate, but it doesn't sting or stain.

And in case you haven't heard me spout off about my brand of pouches, look into Cymed pouches with the PLUS wafer. It has something in it to help counteract the beasties that the regular wafer doesn't. When I switched to them, I've had no more itchy problems, and I eat whatever I want. My skin will probably itch tomorrow. I'm tempting fate, bragging too much.

kbd

I wonder if, rather than acid, it is yeast? Both of those things have yeast in common, and yeast, fungus, can cause terrible itching. If that is the problem, perhaps increasing acidophilus, yogurt intake can help.
KBD

tim1948

My stoma nurse told me it could be fungus. She suggested a fungal powder to rub on the skin when changing the wafer. It worked for me.

kbd
Glad you found something to help.
Pinky

I use Witch Hazel with every wafer change and it does wonders cutting down on the itch. If your itching area is red and weepy, it is a fungal infection and needs treatment. I use the spray-on Lotrimin (get it at Target) in cases like that.