Colonoscopy Prep with Stoma: Need Advice!

Replies
Views
Lois

Anybody had to do a movie prep with a stoma? I am horrified, answers please!!!

fable3

I'm sure thousands of us have had to do all sorts of preps: Movi Prep, Go Lytely, Mag Sulfate. What are you scared of?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Lois

I have a stoma and it is going to be all over me, I hate this and I am freaked out. I got the colostomy in Aug 2011. I was cut up by a biopsy, fistula, and anal cancer, 18 surgeries in 1 1/2 years, just too much. Thank you, I am glad I found you!!! Lois

Pinky

In my opinion, MoviPrep is the absolute worst prep on the planet! Some sadist prepared this concoction. I flat out refuse it! I'd ask for another prep if I were in your shoes!

As for the rest of it - no real worries - just plan on very light eating for a couple of days beforehand and then expect to sit on the toilet most of the day before the colonoscopy. It does not hurt at all through the ostomy (even though it sounds horrendous) and you can always get mild sedation and Vistaril to forget the whole thing!

Lois

Thank you! Oh boy, that prep he wants me to use and 2 liters. I am only 98 lbs!!! What should I ask for then? This is going to kill me, I hate the thought. I am freaking out. Now that's the worst to boot... I will let you know. Thank you sweetie, at least someone answered me. I really appreciate it, truly!! Lois

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Pinky
Hi Lois - I usually have to use Half-Lytely or Go-Lytely - still drinking massive amounts of that salty fluid, but the problem with the MoviPrep was it caused such severe cramping (and other things I can't remember). The problem is since they took the old Fleets Phosphate off the market, there is just no good prep. If you don't have a problem drinking the stuff down you should be fine - I sit on the toilet backwards facing the wall and then just unlatch my drainable bag. Needless to say, don't go anywhere that day!

For me, personally, after about 15 colonoscopies, I cannot handle drinking the prep anymore and have to go into the hospital and have an NG tube put down and have the nurses syringe the stuff through the NG tube. That's pretty radical but by this time my docs know it is the only way I will comply with the prep!
fable3

I had two preps when I had my stomas. The first time I had a colostomy. The second time I had an ileostomy. I thought it was a helluva lot easier than sitting on the toilet for 3 hours!!! Now THAT sucks. I've done that and it was so much worse for me.

Drainable bags are the key!! No mess, just let the bag fill up, then empty it in the toilet. All in all, it took about 2 hours. No leaking either time.

Try not to worry. I was able to mix my gallon of crap with lemon flavored crystal light. So it tasted like Sprite or 7UP. Made it a lot easier to go down in the allotted time.

I'm sorry Pinky, but I would drink 15 gallons of Moviprep before I let anyone shove an NG tube down my nose again. Awake at least. Screw that.