Travelling by Air and Weight Restrictions

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Snowwhite
Hi. Just thought I would pass on some traveling secrets. Now with these new limits to the weight you can have in your suitcase (and to give airport security a heads up), I always get a hold of Customer Service of the airline and let them know my condition and I need a bigger weight allowance. I usually receive a letter (or e-mail). Never had to pay extra.

I have been patted down and the security asked if I had a money belt. I told her what I really was "packing" and offered to show her. She smiled and said have a great holiday. I have also had scissors in my carry-on and when I told them what it was for, the security put them back and let me go on with them.

I still would like for security to take me in the room and try and do a rectal exam. I mean if they can find it (yes, it is gone!) then my god it is a miracle!! I would laugh so hard.

I also have a port-a-cath.. it is a metal disk under the skin below my clavicle. It is for venous access because I require frequent rehydration. I have the card explaining what it is and so far, nobody has asked to see it. It sets off the metal detectors.

Anybody have any other tips?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Dromulis

I literally spit out my drink when I read the part about the rectal exam. LOL! Thanks for making me laugh. Good tips, thank you. Also, want to add something: if anybody has a bag of any sort, it will not inflate due to increased pressure caused by high altitude.
Oh God, that would be horrible.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
irvin_g71

I just had to travel. I haven't had to since I got a colostomy, but what the heck, I had to go. So while I was there, I told them that I had some medical supplies that I needed. I didn't actually tell them what it was that I had, but that I was carrying a white powder and a large bottle of clear liquid.
They told me to take it out, just so they could test the stuff and make sure it wasn't anything dangerous. Very polite, I might add. The thing is, my colostomy is high on my stomach, right below my rib cage (don't know why he put it there, but it is). But the young man who was checking my stuff started to stare at my stomach. I didn't realize it, but at that very moment, it started to fill and it looked like something was coming out of my stomach.
I didn't know what to say as he seemed scared or more worried, so before he could react, I asked him if he wanted to see what was happening. He quickly put up his hand and said, "No, no, no, go ahead, sir." The look on his face was worth a million dollars, let me tell you. But I did get embarrassed though, but oh well, I'll never see him again.

One last thing, your story was hysterical. I sat there trying to imagine the look on their faces when they see or feel that there's no booty hole there.

Since scissors are cheap for the most part, I pre-cut what I have to take and then buy a cheap pair when I get wherever I'm going. It cuts the time back a little.

mooza

Love it! I am off to Malaysia in 2 months. I use 25mm pre-cut, so not a problem. Someone said that their bag blew up and leaked. I don't think that will happen. Anyone? 10-hour flight from Australia. Yeah, check out my bum too. That will be funny. Did laugh at that one because they are things I thought about: death by hanging in Asia. So I won't stand in line checking my pouchy. Heheheh. Cheers guys! Um, so do they blow up with air? I mean, heheh. Mooza xxx from OZ.

Bobo

I always pre-cut and put everything I need in a ziplock bag, easy. Usually, I keep 4 sets in my carry-on bag. It usually takes me between 23-38 hours going from Sweden to Hawaii.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
gutenberg
I love it, I love it. I bet that guy felt like one of The Seven Dwarfs, apparently not Snoopy_ was there a snoopy? I forget, anyway good story, thanks for sharing.