Product Failure - ConvaTec Esteem: Flange Issues and Design Changes

Replies
Views
flossie

I live in Spain and Convatec supplies stoma products here. I have up until Feb this year used a product called Esteem. I am a daily irrigator and after my deed for the day, I change to this product and sometimes I also use a cap made by Coloplast. Incidentally, this product is not great and I have informed Coloplast as to the reason why, but they are not really very interested. So because of the failure of the cap, I use the Esteem product more. In Feb, I collected my usual supplies to find it had changed to a different shape and fabric. I used it and it was quite obvious that the flange would not stand up to a shower or wearing for at least three hours and we live in Spain and are not in hot weather conditions yet. I wrote to complain and they told me that it was a new design and a better product. Possibly the truth is it is probably cheaper to make, and as Spain is experiencing many problems economically, this is why this product is being supplied. Why does it cost so much to manufacture these plastics? Has anybody else had a similar experience? I would really like to hear if you have. Linda Spain

lifegoeson

I have the same heat problem in Florida with the stoma caps. I have been using Coloplast 5540 for the last 14 years, and now I'm told they are no longer making them. Their new product is nowhere near the same and costs twice as much! So, if anyone knows of a replacement cap that works as good as the Coloplast 5540, please let me know.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,433 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

funnygurl

I also used Synergy Esteem for 8 years. After many complaints to the company, they admitted to having changed the adhesive on the pouches 2 years ago. It was a nightmare. The pouches continually leaked and I had no idea why. I have changed to Coloplast Sensura which is very similar to Esteem and actually sticks. I also use a flange called Flex Pro. I like these products better than Esteem Synergy.

flossie
Hi
On the cap subject, there is a product called Convatec Colodress. This cap is brilliant, unfortunately not available on prescription in Spain, so I have to buy mine at full price from the UK, which is nearly $100 for 60. What a ridiculous price.
Linda
flossie

Hi
We must keep banging on if products don't work. I am fed up with being fobbed off. I have now dissected the products and sent them back to the manufacturer for their opinion. Do they test these products on humans???

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Pinky

Well, if any of you can (or want to) switch over to Hollister, I have liked using their mini-pouches after irrigating. I love the extra security, the nice cloth feel of the products, and the great adhesive (I've always hated Convatec's adhesive). And you don't run into the tail closure problem other Hollister users have reported here since the pouch rarely has anything in it.

flossie
Hi Pinky,
Thanks for the info. I will see if they are available here.
Flossie
skidder
Hi Flossie....I have mentioned numerous times on 'site' that I have used ConvaTec 2-piece ileostomy products for approximately 5 years and I couldn't be happier. The wafer adheres to the skin with your own body heat. I also use Uni-Solve Protective Wipes just to reinforce a good fit. The norm for me before having to change is 7-10 days. The pouch is opaque/small with a tail end clip. The wafer has a flange and the pouch has a flange so they snap together! What a mouthful!!! Because I clean the pouch with water every 2nd or 3rd poop, and the fact that I have an ileostomy and have to empty every hour give or take, I am able to wear one pouch for 3-4 weeks. I shower...soap the outside of the pouch and soap the adhesive paper around the wafer and still with this exposure to water, I get a long wear time. Under clothes, I have no bulges etc., and other than the fact that I have to empty so often I do okay. Unfortunately, with my ileostomy, I cannot irrigate. My ostomy nurse keeps me informed of products, and she has been invaluable to me!
flossie
Hello
Thanks for your reply. Mine is quite a different situation, don't you think? My point is that for 16 years, I have used this product and now it doesn't work. I am very experienced with a stoma and after this period of time, I actually feel that I could design products with their materials and make it work. But sadly, the feedback from Convatec is that my body has changed too within a week of the product changing. I really don't think so, and this is just another case of people in real need being fobbed off because of costs. As ostomates, we don't have choices, and because of this, I really feel strongly about this. I might add that I am grateful for the surgery, even though it was many years of being fobbed off again with "put up with it!! If we operate, it might kill you," well if it went on, it would kill me.
Flossie