Hair Loss from Lialda: Seeking Prevention Tips

Replies
Views
dazed

Hair loss

I am finding that I am losing an excessive amount of hair. I am taking the med Lialda, 4 pills a day. This hair loss is driving me crazy. I am going to speak with my doctor on my next visit if I can stand it that long. Any suggestions or recommendations on how this can be prevented? The med works well for me except for the hair loss.

notexpectingthis
Happened to me too! The condition is called telogen effluvium. Happens when the body is under severe stress, the cycle of your hair growth all goes into the fall out stage all at once!! I cut my hair shorter, then in a few weeks went back and cut it shorter again - it helped me to hide the bald spots. I would wake up in the morning with my pillowcase covered in hair.

It is very shocking and painful for a woman's ego. I ordered OVATIONS hair therapy online and it helped a lot. After I finished off the Ovations - I swapped to WEN (also online). Overall, it lasted about 4 months. I am starting to get a lot of new hair growth back now.

I feel for you, girl. Hang in there!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CALYPSO

Me too!!! Extreme shedding, shiny scalp, what thin bits of hair were left on my head were dull and lifeless. It lasted about 3 months then started to feel stubble on my scalp, that was January. Slowly its coming back, very very curly, was dead straight before..lol I think I must have long lost Afro Caribbean roots somewhere.

Nothing much can be done unfortunately, just have to wait for the regrowth button to switch back on.

fuzzland

Yes, it happened to me when I was on any mesalamine drug. Alopecia is one of the less common side effects of that drug. Unfortunately, it will probably continue as long as you are on it. Definitely talk to your doctor about alternative treatment. And, in the meantime, wear pretty hats, like I did.

rubdoctor

Call your pharmacy or the drug manufacturer. Also, look at the package insert that should come with the medication. Hope this helps.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Calico

I had the same problem, my hair fell out by the handfuls, I had bald spots, now it's coming back curly! I've had straight hair my whole life LOL.    Mine wasn't due to any of the meds I was on though, it happened during non-stop flare-ups of Crohn's, I lost almost all my hair, then ended up in the ER, which landed me with the ileostomy, and after my surgery, I was immobile for so long and in the hospital for so long the nurse chopped off all my hair! (I was in the hospital from Dec 11 to Feb 12) My hair is just now starting to grow back, I thought I was gonna have to invest in a wig. I looked ridiculous with wraps and bandanas.
stomafart

I had an ileostomy in December 2011 and was taken back to theatre as an emergency 2 days later due to bleeding and twisted bowel around stoma. I ended up in ICU and was in 3 different hospitals over 3 weeks (complicated story). Nobody told me that I would lose my hair due to severe trauma to the body. I found this out on the internet and it stated that 3 months post surgery I could lose my hair, this happened to me 3 months exactly. It has started to grow back now and it is great to have a shower and wash my hair without a wig ending up in my hand.

Joanna190587

I was losing my hair as well due to low iron and having bleach highlights. It had broken my heart when it started. I even cut my hair short and started wearing a wig. I have been on iron tablets. I feel so much better in myself.

I hope this helps.

Jo xx