B12 Injection: Ostomates' Experiences and Benefits?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses ostomates' experiences and benefits of B12 injections. Share your insights and learn from others.
b 4 life

Just wondering if many ostomates have the B12 injection, reasons for having it, and benefits from it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi B4, I've been having B12 for years now. I first learnt about them when I started having boils all over my body. My GP sent me to the skin clinic at the hospital, and the consultant realized I should be on the B12 injections. I've never had boils since, but I also don't retain B12 in my gut, and I don't retain many other things. I have a yearly blood test to keep check on my iron levels, but I was told that I need to be on them for the rest of my life. I have them every three months, and I certainly know when I'm due for the next one because I get very tired and run down. So in my case, I need them all the time. I really feel good after having B12; it gives me a surge of energy. Hope this has been of some help. Take care, Ambies.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
b 4 life

Hi Ambies, I have lots of down days and feel crappy often. I read an article about people who've had their ileum removed and think this could be the problem. I'll better get myself checked.
Thanks, Kev.

Xerxes
4 Life

As you probably know, vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin for red blood cell formation (erythropoiesis). The stomach makes a factor called the intrinsic factor that promotes the uptake of B12. Assuming that there are no stomach issues, of course, the absorption of vitamin B12 is done by the small intestine (as are most of the digested nutrients). If one has a shorter than normal small intestine, the amount of vitamin B12 absorption will be affected, i.e., less is taken up. This obviously would be the case in an ileostomy where varying amounts of small intestine are removed. This is less of an issue for people who have all three sections in place (duodenum, jejunum, and ileum) than those who have had almost their entire small intestine removed. The lack of vitamin B12 will contribute to an anemia, which will result in, among other things, being listless and tired all the time. Hence the supplement for vitamin B12 that is taken to help alleviate the problem.

X_
Past Member

I have vitamin B12 every month. I used to have it every two months but found I was too tired and run down. I have a J Pouch which didn't work for me and went back to an ileostomy, so I lost that part of my small bowel which takes in vitamin B12. I have regular blood checks to see if my levels are okay.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi Kev, I would certainly get checked out on this one. Lots of ileos don't realize they should be having B12 injections, be it monthly or three monthly. Your GP can do routine blood tests to check it. Good luck, please let us know how you get on. Take care, Ambies.

gee07

I had my stoma in 1971 and it wasn't until some time in the 90's that I had access to my doctor's notes. I came across my surgeon saying, "This young girl will need B12 for the rest of her life." This was the first time I had ever heard of it. I thought, "Well, nothing seems to have happened where I was in need of B12 over the years, so I left it at that." Then in 05, when I was due to have a hernia operation, I mentioned it to my then surgeon. She made the necessary tests and said I didn't need the B12 injections. So I ask myself, what was the paperwork all about that said I did? Gee07

b 4 life

So I had a blood test done. I asked the doc to check for red blood cells and B12. I got the results back. They did a full blood check, but didn't check for B12. I went back in today for another blood test, and they wouldn't check because the doc didn't specify it. What a waste of bloody time.

gee07
Before life,
Then perhaps you have all the necessary bits as explained by Xerxes in his reply.
If you are feeling no ill effects, then perhaps you don't need them.
I don't seem to suffer with anemia, so I'm guessing I therefore do not need B12 either.
If you are still worried, ask another doctor, which wouldn't harm and then you will know either way.
Gee07.