Experiences with Strawberries? Need Advice!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses experiences and advice related to incorporating strawberries into an ostomy diet.
grandy

Eating strawberries. Has anyone had experience with strawberries? I know they are full of small seeds but they are at their peak and they look so luscious it is hard to pass them. Any reply would be appreciated. Tks. Grandy

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,089 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Juuust_James

No problems here - but I've been really fortunate to not have any food give me a blockage or other digestive issues with my ileum - thought I've heeded the warnings and stayed clear of lettuce. - Coincidentally, this past weekend was our annual strawberry festival - probably the biggest locally produced crop where I live.

I think the main concern of things with seeds in them is for those of us that still have diseased areas in the remaining colon or small bowel. Seeds and or other things like nuts that won't digest in a short bowel - could cause irritation and or if you have fissures (I forget the proper term for the sores usually found in the colon), the seeds could get caught in those areas, so this I think is why Dr. Well will tell you to stay away from those foods.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Primeboy

I remember back in college days a friend of mine went loose in a strawberry patch and ate all he could. He ended up in some sort of anaphylactic shock. His whole face bloated up red and expanded. Other than that, as an ileostomate I have never had any issues with any kind of fruit, seeds, nuts or kernels in 2.5 years. Knock on wood.

Darren

I have only had my ileostomy for almost 2 years and never have had any problems with any type of food. Maybe I am just lucky.

Vsmbaby7

Like most people above, I've never had any problems.... Thank goodness because I love strawberries. So just enjoy.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
vanessavy

I have a BCIR, but I eat everything. Usually, I put strawberries in my salads.

Past Member

I love them and was under the impression they would be off-limits after my ileo so I ate tons before surgery! Then I was reviewing a "foods to limit" list and strawberries were nowhere to be found so I asked a Facebook group for wisdom, got a consensus that they usually don't cause problems and began to indulge! I started slowly and try not to eat tons of them, but I have had no problems! I make sure to chew like crazy too. Good luck!

Marilyn

At this time of year, Scottish strawberries are delicious. I've been enjoying them with loads of cream and have been okay. While I am not keen, many people do put ground black pepper over them.

I have had my stoma for 2.5 years.

skidder

In the 40 plus years with ileo, I've not had any problems with strawberries. If one chews the food really well and consumes mass quantities of liquid, and providing there is no active Crohn's, with inflammation etc., bring on the berries or just food in general!

Past Member

I am one who gets small bowel obstructions at the drop of a hat! 4 or 5 times in the hospital this year so far. Strawberries are still okay for me. I have to puree vegetables and eat only white meat. No nuts, keep on a low-fiber diet, and off spicy foods. Lettuce is fine; I have no problem there. Corn is out; I'm not supposed to have cauliflower, so I slice the florets into 1 1/2 cm flat pieces, bread crumb them, and deep fry them. Try it before you blanch!!! Very nice and different but SOFT. I have to have everything soft. Oh yes, I am the cook in our household, so I prepare different meals for my wife and myself. Be wary of the seeds in passionfruit and other fruits like that though.

Doug.

Past Member

I am one who gets small bowel obstructions at the drop of a hat! 4 or 5 times in the hospital this year so far. Strawberries are still okay for me. I have to puree vegetables and eat only white meat. No nuts, keep on a low-fiber diet, and off spicy foods. Lettuce is fine; I have no problem there. Corn is out; I'm not supposed to have cauliflower, so I slice the florets into 1 1/2 cm flat pieces, bread crumb them, and deep fry them. Try it before you blanch!!! Very nice and different but SOFT. I have to have everything soft. Oh yes, I am the cook in our household, so I prepare different meals for my wife and myself. Be wary of the seeds in passionfruit and other fruits like that though.

Doug.

Pinky

WOW! Lots of replies to this question! Allergies to strawberries are common but usually cause hives before anaphylactic shock.

I have the biggest problem with blueberries. They do have an enormous amount of fiber for such little critters. I eat all other berries. I seriously doubt it's the seeds on the strawberries that are bothering you if you can eat other berries (raspberries, blackberries - those seeds are murder for diverticulitis and other colon problems).

You might have to eat frozen strawberries or cook them (sounds unappetizing, I know) or maybe enjoy a good strawberry preserves. Pinky

Past Member

I eat strawberries, they should not be hard and not ripe and I do not eat too many on the same day.

Past Member

I haven't had any problems with any foods, I eat strawberries all the time, have my ileostomy for 6 years.

joanmarie

I've had my ileostomy for 21 years and love strawberries. Just be sure to chew them well, and at first, I would push liquids until you determine that you don't have a problem. Good luck!