Are any of you musicians?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
markymarc1979
I'm not sure I would class myself as one, but I do play the guitar and the drums. I used to play gigs quite regularly and would love to get back behing the kit especially.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dsmithsc91
Yep! I play drums regularly. I have a couple of pics up. Was playing in a band for awhile, but it just got to be too much with everything else I have going on. (Family, etc.) I still play once a month at church and do the occasional recording project or substitute gig.

Playing music is so cathartic I can't imagine it not being a part of my life. Good luck getting back to it!

Dave
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
Yep, i was 27 and having the time of my life as lead guitarist in a rock band (Lizzy covers) when my UC struck. I struggled on for a year, but being on stage and desperately needing a crap every 10 mins finally took its toll! wasnt the best of places to be when you have UC ??? I never took to the stage after my ileostomy, but that had nothing to do with my new buddy, just other commitments, but i will always be a guitarist, it's in the blood, Rock On...........
Past Member
I played professionally until a very severe illness in 1993. I played mainly in classical chamber groups or heaven forbid in the club scene here in Sydney. I played double bass for classical and bass guitar for dance band. I did play rock of the older style as a part of a dance night in a club.
I began as an 11 year old learning in a school band. I had to stand on a box to play a double bass. My father was a trombone player and was horrified that I broke away from the family tradition of brass band.

I still miss my music, I cannot play anymore dur to my medical situation. Both hands are crippled with rheumatoid arthritis and I can barely walk now. I cannot blame any of this on the rectal cancer that was the cause of my permanent colostomy. That didn't happen until 2003.

So you musicians, keep up you enthusiasm, keep enjoying what you do. Music was described by Plato I think or maybe Shakespeare, "Music is food for the soul". It is too, you can give so much pleasure to others, have them forget their problems for an hour or two. Musicians can do much for the world with this international melodic (????) language.

Doug
bwesner
I played professionally most of my life...even when I was close to walking in the other world .... I would make it down to the piano in the hospital lounge....AS far as I'm concerned music not only bought me the love of my life but saved it as well.

It kept my spirits up during my darkest days...
So my advise to you is take what ever opportunity u have to do what you want and love and go for it...
I have absolutely no qualms about being concerned about mishaps concerning my condition..
If I can go through hell and come back I could care less about what Joe public cares about that bulge under my shirt...
Go have some fun man

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
57 goingon17
Hi Marc, I used to sing in a band, in my teens and then didn't sing again, in public until my forties, when I was invalided out of Royal Mail due to my UC. It came about because I had a lot of spare time on my hands so I decided to go on a sound engineering course; not to get into that seriously just to learn what I might need to know to feel comfortable about getting involved in the music scene again. I also enlisted on a course to improve my vocal tecnique (understanding how my vocal cords worked and how to look after them, hydration etc.). On the former course I met a young couple, she a singer and he a sound engineer and we became very good friends. She was running karaoke nights, when she didn't have any singing gigs and she persuaded me to get up. I was a little rusty at first but soon got back into the swing of things and started taking every opportunity to sing; jam sessions, open mic etc. I then got to know some guys through the latter and ended up singing on a few gigs with them. It was great for a while but there was too much in the way of politics and jealousy going on so it soon folded. The lead guitarist, who's son was the rythm guitarist wanted to control everything we did and always wanted to be the centre of attention. A bit like the old, 'it's my ball so if we don't play my way we don't play at all'' addage. LOL.
I then started helping to run the karaoke shows when Kerry (the singer) was busy but then it all became a bit too much when my UC started playing up again.
Long story short, over the last couple of years have had a series of ops. (had an end ileostomy, loop ileostomy and now have a j-pouch and no stoma) and have tried to keep my end in, musically inbetween but have never really had the time to get enough practice in before I was due another op. Hopefully that' s the last of those now, at least for a while, so I can start getting on with my life again.
I am 59 this year but am still 17 in my head and do believe my voice is better than ever so, if the right opportunity came along I would jump at the chance of being in a band again. You are just a slip of a lad so, take advice from an old man; enjoy life while you can ( chrohn's and uc notwithstanding) as the years slip away so fast that when you get to my age you're half convinced that you must have fallen asleep and it was all a dream.
All the best, Keith.
Past Member
Musician is a bit strong but I played the guitar for years, mostly just for my own amusement or at home with friends but in public sometimes in my teens...folky, classical...used to write my own stuff. There were times when only playing my guitar would do the trick, you know, when something was going on inside that needed letting out.

Did it less and less as years went by but never stopped (there's a guitar and mandolin on the wall in my profile pics)...until I had a couple or strokes on chemo and lost a lot of use of my left hand. Now I can play whatever you like as long as it's only in C
Past Member
Hi Mark,

I am a part time musician. Music is one thing that you can keep doing no matter how old you get. Look at Muddy Waters, BB King. I am still gigging and did a gig last night. The money you get would hardly pay got the strings on the guitar, but for the kick and the buzz it is still worth it. I have talked to young people that were facing an ostomy, and their biggest fear was ,that their normal life was over. When I explained to them that 12 years after an ostomy, I was playing music, golf and all the other things I could not do when I had UC. Don't ever give up the idea of playing gigs again. Keep on rocking in the free world.
Past Member
I don't play, but am a music lover; the best i could do is something not unlike groupie...
snowflake
Hi druidodude,

its been a while since i visited this site. i used to play in a band myself many moons ago,we had a couple of records out , yes thats how long ago it was ! love music with a passion but have recently decided to tap into my writing skills, incidentally involving the druids and ancient celtic times. My life has changed with an ileostomy, i suspect that would be normal, would love to chat about stuff as you seem to be self assured about your quality of life with an ileostomy, but I think i have to join to do that ???

snowflake

Time for sleepies zzz
Rio
To all my
brothers and sisters who are all in the same boat : try to live your life to the fullest. If you enjoy music then add music, art, cooking what ever you desire. Never give up, never surrender !!!!. Do what you can do to take care of yourself. Realize their are thousands of us in the same situation. We really are not alone. Do the best you can and try to be patient during your flair ups and after surgeries.
I agree with the last gentleman who stated that time passes us by much to swiftly, so don't sit on your laurels being a observer. Get back in the game at what ever level you are capable of.. it really is over before it begins. So live each day to its fullest.
Life is a journey and for those friends of our's who have left us, we to shall be following you someday to the otherside. We all will be together in spirit.

Try to love and be loved. a dog , cat, human , love is its own reward. you can love anything really. It will bring you great joy.

I play piano for mental stimulation, and the love of music, a childhood dream , I'm trying to fulfill. I hope I live long enough to succeed.

Does anyone ever wonder what causes this disease process to happen to us?
Want to discuss what was happening in your life at the time you first became noticably ill? if so , I thought it might make a good topic for a conversation and also a place to perhaps see if there are any similarities or coincidences? or logical reasons or conections that are similar. All the best to everyone
59yrsF. Rio
three

Interesting question Rio , nbsp; nbsp;

In my experience, the answer is also the answer to quot;the most important question quot; there is; however, that answer doesn't fit within the constraints of language — you have to quot;grok quot; it.
cagabolsa
I am an experienced belly farter. There is not much of a tune to it and I involuntarily prefer to do it when it's silent and with other people around. Never took classes and never joined a choir. Although I prefer R B and Jazz, my music is mainly considered to be classic.
iMacG5
I guess I forgot I am one.  I come from a family of good to great musicians.  My Uncle Fred and cousin Eddie played piano on the Ernie Kovacs Show way back when.  Fred accompanied Tony Bennett andRosemary Clooney.  Me, not so great but I did learn to love music as I got older.  I studied the piano since I was about four and played in a couple great bands in which I didn't really belong.  Since we can't march too well with a piano, I was forced to do a snare drum in the high school band and the bass drum in the orchestra.  It was the glockenspiel in the American Legion Band when we came in second in the national competitions.  I had almost nothing to do with that but the girl who played the other Glock, used two mallets, both hands, and was world class.

Bottom line is I can't imagine what life would be or would have been without music.  I'm sure music helped me survive though, at times, it brought me to tears.  Even my own playing.  Hopefully, not because it was that bad.   It's so sad the youth of today don't have what my generation had, musically, that is.  Technologically, they're so advanced but there's no feeling associated with stuff and things. Hopefully, we music lovers will keep it going and the young will enjoy it as we old folks can.

Thanks for reminding me, Marky.

Mike
Past Member
like most art, I just know what i like...
iMacG5
Hey S, you're in a good place.  There's so much diversity, so much to like.  

Mike
Past Member
I'm just a fan, not a musician. A lot of my preferred music has gotten me through a lot of tough times, but also it has been there to augment some good times.
Past Member

If music is in your blood, you'll always find a way to go back to it. The passion is too strong to avoid. No matter what setbacks exists. A creative mind heart always aspires and inspires.
Illness is a part of me, like an appendage. It does not define who I am. Although, I must say, it has added a correlation to the lyrics I write, as a way to reach others with my messages, as I progressed through these interesting journeys Lol. I write music, lyrics, poetry, play the piano, self taught acoustic guitarist with the help of Youtube Lol, (due to medical demands), and drum a bit, got connected with others thru mutual friends in various areas, unexpected networks thru people at Conservatories etc .... We're just people who love music and love to create music together, or independently. Whether it's an outlet, or a career, or, whatever the reasons, always follow your dreams, achieve things that are always important to you :). Go beyond what you think you can do, and life is a matter of infinite perspectives are key quotes that keep me moving forward. Hope this helps, and best wishes to you :)
Cheers Bumblebee :=]

Freebyrd

I'm a guitar player. It was a concern when I had an Ostomy because the guitar hits me where my Stoma is, but I've learned to adjust. Sometimes I just sit and play with the axe laying horozonally on my lap, like the late, great Jeff Healey, only I don't sound as good as him.

guitar player tx

Yes, I am. Play in 3 different bands and record with different pepole occasionally. I'm working very hard to get my chops back, as I was on life support for 12 days. I can't knock 90 songs off the top of my head at this time, working on building my memory and muscle memory back.Working to build up strength in my hands, trying to remember set lists, and to get enough energy to play. Had to cancel gigs from N. Texas to Houston. They are holding my spot for me in 2 bands, where I think they should hire someone else and move along. The third band is one I co-founded, so there is kind of an urgency to get going with them. I know music relaxes me, takes away a lot of anxiety, and lets me think about something different that I love to do.